Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:20:35 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
best amp for ZU soul supremes (Read 36735 times)
RF
Verified Member

best amp for ZU soul supremes
03/17/18 at 19:15:20

Hi friends,

new guy here.. been reading for a while now.

little background:

I was introduced to  Zu dirty weekend last year and just fell in love with them... I love base so added Zu undertone sub. I am using peachtree original nova to drive them.. always wanted to try next level up so I pulled a trigger on Zu soul Supreme... Oh my what a huge upgrade.

I need your expert advise on what is the best amp for me. I love the sound of tube.. I always stream music on digital..

Speakers ZU soul Supreme and Dirty weekend
efficiency 101db SS and 97 for DW
impedance 16ohm both
room 15x25

I do like listening little loud. the sub is connected as high level.  amp to speaker and speaker to sub.

my first option was SE84UFO is the 2W enough so I am also considering SE34I.5 or should i look in used market...

I also saw exciting stuff coming in form of 25th anniversary UFO..

budget is ~ 1500.

thanks in advance.
RF

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: best amp for ZU soul supremes
Reply #1 - 03/17/18 at 19:41:22

Hi RF,

Others will give more informed advice I'm sure, especially from Zu owners, but I think the SE84UFO will be enough for your speakers even to play loud. That fits in your budget. The SE34I would also be a good choice as it is a slightly softer sounding amplifier that may allow you to rock hard.

I think that the 25th Anniversary SE84UFO amp will be about twice your budget. . . just an estimation on my part but it will certainly be over your budget.

There are bargains to be had used too at times, keep an eye on the Classifieds here.

Welcome and keep us informed!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/17/18 at 21:57:34

Thanks Lon.

maybe I misunderstood about 25th anniversary UFO. is it not based on SE84UFO 2W?  maybe it will cost 1.5 or 2x the regular.. but 3k is like 3X.

thanks,
RF

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/18 at 22:36:30

Hi RF,

Congratulations on the new speakers. I have the same speakers for a few years now and have not budged on them. I have a picky ear and most of my system have changed over this time but they have remained contants so that should tell you something. There is a special quality about them that makes listening to them addicting when paired with the right amp such as a great SET.

If you are serious about building around those speakers, consider Steve's 25th anniversary SE84 amp. This is assuming of course that you don't listen too crazy ( rock concert) loud and have a moderate to small sized listening room. Otherwise, you may need a bit more power then what the small amp provides. Either way you will have to increase your budget but to get the best out of these speakers its worth it imho.

Whatever amp you decide on, make sure it has at least 8 ohm speaker tap. Obviously 16 ohm tap would be ideal but I find the 8ohm tap also sounds great on the Soul Supremes.

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/17/18 at 22:47:26

Thanks Kevtn8 for your feedback.

I am sold on the speakers for life until I can afford the new Durid6  ;) even then I don't think I can sell my SS .. I even kept the DWs.. such an amazing value.

ZUs are very special.. you either love them or hate them there is no middle ground...

Are you using sub with your setup? if yes are you connecting the same way ?

I am getting very excited about 25th anniversary amp... what are you currently using for amp to power the soul Supremes.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/17/18 at 22:55:20

RF the 25th Anniversary Zen amp will only be 2 watts, but it's gong to be considerably more expensive than the SE84UFO base unit. It is going to have the meters of the SE84UFO2 and also the upgraded caps and a lot of bypass caps and two additional regulation tubes and a lot more soldering. . . my personal best guess is that it will cost more than 2000, perhaps close to 3000. . . that's just my best guess.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/17/18 at 23:51:30

RF, I love my Zu Superflys. Like you, I started with speakers and then picked my amp. Congrats on the Supremes, I am jealous.

I have a Torri III and ordered it with the 8/16 ohm taps. Both sound good but the 16 ohm is just so perfect with the Superfly/Supremes. I am not familiar with any other Decware amp, but like Lon, I find the treble and bass pots indispensable. The bass pots work works very well with the ZU’s finger ports.

My audio buddy has Wilson Sasha II’s ($45.000) with a $40,000 AR 150 watt front end, and our systems our so close in sound, that he kicks himself that he did not go with the Decware/ZU combo. My system has better tone, texture and emotion, his has better range and scale. But, you would think they were voiced by the same builder.  Only difference in the speakers is $40,000. But seriously, the Zu tone is just magical with Decware and the right tube combo. To be fair, the Brimar 5R4GY rectifiers are a big part of the tone in my set-up.

I think any Decware would be great with the Zu Supreme, but I personally would be afraid to give up tube rectification and regulation for the subtle tuning, especially with the midrange tone and texture, and also 16 ohm transformer taps. That is the whole point of the Zu Superflu/Supreme.  They are made to match with 16 ohm tube amps.

BTW, when you can, slowly upgrade to a full Triode Wire Lab loom of cables. Just so perfect together.  

My wife listens so much now to music. When she play Robert Plants new album, especially The track Seasons Song, she cries every time. The emotion is so strong and beautiful.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/18/18 at 00:51:52

RF,

No I'm not a fan of any sub in my system. I've tried that before and it never worked to my liking. My musical taste is based on pure emotion and tone and I feel the combination of the Supremes and a great SET are all I need. It helps that I don't like to listen too loud as I want to conserve my hearing for later in life.

I have done thorough research on this and have made a final lifetime investment into my next amplifier and preamp, both designed and built by Thomas Mayer. The amp is a SE dual 45/2A3 so I'm only getting 1.5 - 3 watts. The preamp is a low gain linestage design based on the 6AH4 tube ( I hate too much gain in my system). They are VERY expensive but I consider them lifetime investments. But within your budget and starting out, its very tough to beat Decware for the money and my recommendation for you is to see if you can settle for something within the Decware family.

The Soul Supremes are one of Zu's best selling speakers even though they are not the cheapest in the lineup. They are special because there is only a handful or less of truly hi efficient 16 ohm speakers still made on earth. This number is even less when you take away big horn designs which are not my thing especially if you have space constraints. 16 ohms are tailor made/designed for tubes and the combination with a great SET is simply magical. Its funny that this is the only version of Soul Supremes that Zu ever made yet it never had any revisions so far because the total package and sound was so good. I joke with Sean and Zu all the time when are they going to give the Supremes an update and they said it will take some time and thought to better what's there. The Druid 6 is appealing but I much prefer the form factor and looks of the Supremes.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/18/18 at 04:58:36

Nicely said RF. Amen.

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/19/18 at 00:03:49

Thanks everyone!

I will wait for 25th anniversary price. I am hoping it will be 2k or less Smiley)  Plan B will be 340i.5 or used market.

Now on Dec... any recommendations on Bluetooth/WiFi DAC? Almost all of my listening is through streaming.

Currently I am using Yamaha 830 as main av hub.... and use nova pre to drive Souls.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/19/18 at 00:26:01

Hi RF,

I think you'd be very happy with an SE84UFO with the copper foil Type II caps. I'm using one with speakers much less efficient than yours and it provides plenty of volume. I've found this amp to sound much better if it's fed lots of voltage.

For streaming DAC recommendation, check out the Bluesound Node 2.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/19/18 at 16:01:17

I second Pursuitofnow...  I have the SE84UFO with the Type II caps and I am running B&W DM630's with 91dB efficiency in theory, which I question as there is quite a complex crossover in them.  I feed the SE84 with a tube Copland DAC/preamp at quite a high voltage and the outcome is to die for!  

If budget is of primary concern at this time, I would not hesitate to go for the SE84UFO.

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/19/18 at 18:48:20

RF, regarding DACs, depending on your budget, you might want to check out the TEAC NT-503. If my memory is correct, this is the foundation upon which Steve builds his ZDAC2, which is what he used recently when R&Ding his 25th Anniversary amp.
And, IIRC he was streaming Tidal through it. Add a ZBIT to that DAC and you’re cooking with gas!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/21/18 at 05:39:34

Hi RF!
It seems that you may have arrived at a preliminary decision, but I thought you might like to hear from someone that has driven the top line Zu 103 full range drivers with two different Decware amps.  

Having used a CKC version of the 2 watt Zen with my Zu Def Mk iii's for a couple of years, I always felt the overall presentation was just a touch thin.  I am now driving my big Zu's with a three month old Torii Jr. built with standard beeswax caps, and I couldn't be happier.  I bought the little 2 watt Zen back in 2013 to test the Decware waters.  The end result was that I sold my beautiful Cary Audio 2a3 mono blocks and directly coupled Cary SET preamp that cost more than six times what I paid for the Zen.  Yes, the 2 watt 84 is very special, but I, like you, like to rock out on ocassion, and I always longed for more power even with my 101 db efficient 8 ohm Zu's with double Zu 103 full range drivers per cabinet.  I think you too will wish you had more power, although one never knows until all components are connected and playing music.  System synergy is everything.  I find the 20 watt Torii Jr in my current system to have all the qualities of the 84CKC, but with lots more goodness all around.  There is way more detail, more SET midrange magic (which is incredible in a push pull amplifier!), far more control over the Big 10" Zu 103 full range drivers, and significantly more detail and sweetness in top end.  

I'm sure you will be happy with the little 2 watt Zen, but it might be worth waiting a few more months to save the extra money needed to buy a Torii Jr.  The difference between these two amps driving the same Zu full range speakers is very substantial.  By the way, I am not using a preamp currently; my primary source component, an Oppo 205, is connected directly to my Torii Jr.  Would the insertion of a great SET preamp change the equation in my system?  Most definitely.  But again, as you well know, it's all about system synergy, which must include the all important cabling.  

Good luck as you forge ahead!

Doug

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/21/18 at 16:25:49

Thanks everyone for great feedback.

Dough- I was little afraid that 2w might not be enough for the occasional rock out nights.... thanks for your feedback.  I might search for used UFO to test the water... and eventually use that for ZU dirty weekends and jump on tori for the main system.

Thanks,
Jigar

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/21/18 at 17:03:37

The Zu’s definitely need more power to rock out then the numbers tell you on paper.

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 04/01/18 at 15:49:17

i have a question about the post i copied below.  I am new to HiFi.  I am going to get a decware tube amp.  I want to get one of the lower powered sets, but I am sorting that out right now.  

you mention that you have a copland dac/preamp with high voltage.  What impact does the voltage have on the sound that comes from your se84ufo?  is this a linestage preamp or a preamp with extra gain?  

I want to get a decware set and some high efficiency speakers.  I just want o make sure my set up is full and beefy at low volumes.  I care more about that than how loud it gets. does this higher voltage preamp impact the tone at low volumes?  how do you know if an amp or pream is high voltage?

Thanks for the help!!

I second Pursuitofnow...  I have the SE84UFO with the Type II caps and I am running B&W DM630's with 91dB efficiency in theory, which I question as there is quite a complex crossover in them.  I feed the SE84 with a tube Copland DAC/preamp at quite a high voltage and the outcome is to die for!  

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/01/18 at 18:30:36

Quote:
I just want o make sure my set up is full and beefy at low volumes.

I didn't read this whole thread but take a look at the ZROCK2, if you haven't already.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/02/18 at 04:52:35

In response to TheTakeOut’s question, I might be using the wrong terminology here, so I apologize if I sound confusing...

Most CD players have a 2V output which should be enough to drive the SE84UFO.  My experience is if you use a source with higher output (and you can do this with a preamp with high gain), the Decware SETs perform better.  

For instance, I run an SE34I.2+ with an iFi Micro Tube 2 at 7.75V buffer mode and I control the volume from the SE34.  That system sounds really full even at low volumes and sound quite fine.

I drive my TABOO mkIII with a ZBIT which is fed from the XLR outputs of my DAC which is 4V, I believe.  When it was fed from the RCA outputs, the amp sounded thinner and the basses were up to my liking.  With the ZBIT in between, its performance has increased significantly.

Coming back to the SE84UFO, the Copland preamp (with extra gain) makes it fuller and beefier even at low volumes...

Hope this is clearer...  Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/03/18 at 00:15:20

FWIW...I have heard Zu Omen Def MK2 speakers with 3 different Decware amplifiers 1) SuperZen CKC 2) Torii MK4 and 3) ZMA.  The SZ and ZMA were great, but the Torii was excellent.  All amps had stock tubes. Room was a typical living room.  

Zu_OD_Listening_Room_001.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/03/18 at 02:07:19

So is excellent better than great? Smiley

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 04/25/18 at 04:32:56

Hi Friends,

So I took a plunge in the world of tube amps and bought torii mk iV from Jeff... what an amazing guy... he took a detour and personally dropped it off.

I am just blown away in first few min... The sound is so wonderful and base is so tight I don’t even need the sub.  All this with regular cables and basic setup once I fine tune it will take to whole new levels..

And the look.. yes it’s a piece of art you can’t get tired of looking at.

Just love it.

RF

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 04/25/18 at 10:39:24

Congrats!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 04/26/18 at 17:05:21

That is a fantastic amp for your setup! Congrats!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/27/18 at 03:13:50

Congrats RF.  Excellent combination indeed.  Enjoy!

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/27/18 at 18:04:30

RF, I'm jealous of your good fortune!

ps. to toast the transaction, did JeffofA slip you a sample of some premium coffee?

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 04/28/18 at 04:56:39

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Jeff has promised a premium package of coffee in mail... what a class act.

I am really loving the sound.  I am in search for a decent streaming dac. Something that looks good next to the torii iv... I only really need WiFi/Bluetooth so I can pass my iPhone to the amp. Any ideas?

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/28/18 at 10:23:28

Do you have a budget in mind?

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 04/28/18 at 17:08:29

Hi Alper,

Not sure on budget yet... all I really need is a good way to stream from my iPhone to torii.  And hopefully one analog RCA input... not mandatory... Will never do anything else... so all other fancy stuff is useless.

It has to look great  next  to torii Smiley

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #29 - 04/28/18 at 18:05:48

Hi RF,
Since there is no need to convert the analog signal before sending it to the Torii, I wouldn't bother looking for a DAC that has analog inputs.  I would get a Decware switch box, ZSB, and run the Bluesound Node 2 as one of the inputs on the ZSB, along with your CD player, vinyl rig or whatever additional sources you have.  

I ran the Bluesound prior to getting my PS Audio DirectStream stack.  For the price, it is hard to beat.  It doesn't a really nice job for streaming, either Internet-based music streaming services or your existing library of music at home.  $499.

I'm very happy to hear that amp is working out nicely for you!

Cheers!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/28/18 at 22:48:26

Hi RF,

In my case, I have a few different systems of DAC's.  In one of my systems, I use a Hegel HD30, which is one of the best DAC's I have ever heard.  This can be fed from a router through Ethernet and it sounds amazing.  CD-quality material from TIDAL somehow sounds better than a decent CD transport feeding the digital coaxial input of the Hegel (and please note that Hegel has a proprietary design for that input, which they are very proud of).

The problem with the HD30, though, is its price.  I do not know how much it sells for in North America, but it was already quite expensive in Europe.

In my other systems, I feed my DAC's (a Copland 215 DAC/pre and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100) with either my computers (USB output) or Apple TV 3rd generation (TOSLINK).  I can control streaming or my iTunes library both via my iPhone.  The Copland is around $2k and the DacMagic 100 around $200.  

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #31 - 05/01/18 at 19:29:35

"The problem with the HD30, though, is its price.  I do not know how much it sells for in North America, but it was already quite expensive in Europe."

There's a used one for sale in Canada for $4500 ($3500US).

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/02/18 at 02:21:14

Thanks DB2!  That is a great price for HD30, I would jump on it!

In the meantime, today, I was looking into some audio interfaces for my recording studio, when I came across a new DAC by RME, a German company known for its recording gear.  I have a sound card by them, RME Fireface 800, and it is one of the best piece of recording equipment out there, not only for home use, but also for professional use.  

Anyway, RME recently came up with ADI-2 DAC:

https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&n...

It is out of stock at the moment, but sells for $999 (or $899 for the Demo model which is in stock) at sweetwater.com.

I have not heard this DAC myself, but given the quality and reputation of RME in general, I guess it would be a great DAC.  There is also always the option to return it.

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 05/02/18 at 19:46:30

Anyone tried schiit audio DACs?
Also thinking about upcoming ps audio sprout 2 (all in one) use it as a dac.

Thanks
RF

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #34 - 05/02/18 at 20:14:08

RF,
I believe you wanted bluetooth/streaming capability?  If so, I am not sure if Schiit has any qualified offerings.  

As far as the Sprout, I would not recommend for your purpose as it is an integrated amplifier.  You don’t need an amplifier in front of your Torii.  

Cheers,
Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/03/18 at 00:55:36

Hi RF,
Congrats on the mk4 purchase. You definitely can’t beat the value of Decware amps. I have Zu Soul Superflys that used to be Sean Casey’s and I just love the sound they put out. I had a Torii Jr for a while and it was a great amp but I was looking for a little more so I settled on an Audion 300b SET amp. The 8 watts from my Audion SET is plenty loud. I usually only turn the volume up to 8 oclock. If I get anywhere near 12 oclock I better run to the next room or my ears bleed. The 101db sensitivity of the Zu’s really packs a punch.

As far as streaming DACs, I was lacking with an inexpensive Definitive Technologies wifi Streamer. It was choking the rest of my system. After doing a lot of searching I ended up with a LUMIN A1 Streamer/DAC.
It was a bit pricey but I now am in total bliss. The sound stage is huge and the separation between instruments is very good. It has a nice warm sound that’s comparable to analog.
If your budget allows, I would recommend LUMIN. Your Decware amp and Zus will love you for it.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/03/18 at 02:25:03

RF,

I have ZU Omen Def Mk.I-B speakers and Torii MK 3.  I have had this combination for several years and really enjoy the sound.  I also have the CSP2+ integrated in my system.  I have an Auralic Aries Mini (streamer) with an internal HDD connected to my one week old Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC.  I have been out of town working a lot, but the time that I have spent listening to music, I am very, very satisfied.  You can opt for the Aries Mini and use their internal DAC and, when funds are available, purchase an external DAC.  Schiit also makes a Bifrost DAC that has been given really good reviews.  

If you have any Qs, just ask.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #37 - 05/03/18 at 04:35:58

If you really want to crush it, and do it right without breaking the bank, get the TEAC AI-503.  Then, when feasible, add the Decware Z-BIT.  Without spending thousands, I am not sure there is better Bluetooth capable setup.  

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 05/10/18 at 16:07:56

Lots of good suggestions everyone.. thanks!

Which combo works best in terms of great DAC for Torii mk IV?

1) blue sound node 2
2) schiit Bifrost multibit and add peachtree Bluetooth adapter.
3) TAEC AI-503

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/10/18 at 20:37:02

If its my green stamps - it's no contest - I'm going with the TEAC.

However, I was thinking the NT-503 version. I'm not familiar with the AI version that JeffofA mentioned.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #40 - 05/10/18 at 22:04:39

The AI model offers Bluetooth streaming.

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 05/30/18 at 21:56:01

Hey RF,   if your still looking,  look at the Auralic Aries Mini.  Every now and then a used one will pop up for ~$300.    I have used it with Zu Omen's (highly mod'd) and various amps, including SE84C+, SE34.4,  currently a pair of Atma-Sphere's,..  When I was in the market (~2yrs ago) I looked at the Blue Note and ultimately the interface and constant updating by Auralic (adding additional functionality) won me over.  It is a good sounding wireless streaming device that would def. fit your bill.  It now supports Spotify streaming as well which actually sounds very good if your on premium (~320) and also operates off of a nifty web interface for updating settings, etc..    I do admit mine is now routed through my PS Audio DSD which is a whole different league,  I do think the Mini by itself would be a great match directly into the Tori,..    Just my .02

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Jay
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 07/22/18 at 13:33:44

I'm a tad late to this thread, as I have only recently gotten my first Decware amp...a used Taboo III that I purchased as a headphone amp primarily, but have been shocked at it's capabilities with my Druid 6s.

I throw this post out simply to accumulate Zu/Decware data points for those coming along behind us looking for feedback and advice on pairings.

I own both Zu Soul Supremes and their new Druid 6s.  These are my 3rd and 4th Zu speakers, and I still own the Unions and Cubes and have then in other systems.  I still own roughly 10-12 amps that I have used with the Soul Supremes, and I have tried 2 amps with the Druid 6s--this Taboo III (as a speaker amp), and my Audion Golden Dreams parallel 300B SET mono amps with cap upgrades, which were the best amp pairing to the Soul Supremes so far in my massive amp journey.

I could write the longest most boring post ever about my experiences, but I wanted to throw this out for this thread.  I'm finding the Taboo III to actually be an even BETTER match with the Druid 6s than the Audions, which are about a $15K+ set of SET amplification, and one that is often touted as one of the most stellar matchups you can pair with the top Zu speakers.  As I said, the Audions beat the rest of the amps in my amp lineup with my Soul Supremes (I can post a link to what I've documented there for anyone interested), so for the Taboo III to beat the Audions on the Druid 6s (which are pretty close in pedigree to the Soul Supremes), is absolutely amazing to me.

I love my Soul Supremes and they will be in my second system once my house move completes in a few weeks.  The Druid 6s are even better in detail and all other aspects of what we love about Zus.  I also am running an Undertone II sub with the main system, and it did all the things you want a sub to do--I never got that benefit from other subs I tried over the years.  A topic for a different thread, but wanted to mention it's in the mix.

In short summary, I'm now trying to determine where Decware can take my Druid 6s even beyond the Taboo III.  I do think it's a system synergy thing, and more expensive SET amplification is not necessarily the answer.  As another data point, the Taboo III did NOT outperform some of my other SET amps on my 16 ohm Altec Valencias, but it certainly seems to be special with the Druid 6s minimally.  I won't get to try it with the Soul Supremes for another month or so to see if it's as stellar there, but I suspect it will be.

I'm strongly considering a 25th Anniversary (1 for starters), and if I think I need it, I would consider a second to run as monos.  I am curious as to the power trade-offs from the 4.6wpc I'm getting from the Taboo III.

IP Logged
Jay
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 07/22/18 at 13:38:32

As mentioned, here's a link to the Audiogon thread I started a while back on amp pairings for the Soul Supremes in case anyone is considering those speakers (highly recommended in that price point).

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/zu-soul-supreme-recap-owners-what-are-you...
r-preferred-system-pairing

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 07/22/18 at 14:06:56

Jay, your link doesn't work...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Jay
Verified Member

Reply #45 - 07/22/18 at 14:41:51

I know, I tried to edit it, but the forum is cutting the link into 2 lines.  If you cut/paste into a browser tab and take out the ... it will send you there.  Sorry.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 07/22/18 at 14:49:14

Thanks, that worked...

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 07/23/18 at 17:24:53

RF.  Quick question.  I read where you bought the dirty weekends and upgraded to the soul supremes.  I am interested to hear your experience.  What is it about the soul supremes that knocked your sox off.  i currently have the dirty weekends.  i really like them - i am not fired up about the amps i have running them.  i know my system can offer better low listening bloom and more separation of the sound.  i am interested to know your thoughts one the dirty weekends vs. the soul supremes.

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #48 - 07/23/18 at 19:08:21

Hi theTakeOut,

DW are great speakers. Very forgiving on bad recording and also have decent base. It also depend on which driver you have... if you recently bought them you probably got brand new drivers with 12ohm I think.

SS are altogether different league. The radion tweeters are fantastic and produce amazing high with fantastic clarity. On flip side they are not very forgiving... you can hear everything good and bad.  Also if you like base, I would highly recommend undertone it’s a game changer.

I hope this helps...

Which DAC and amp are you currently using?

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 07/23/18 at 23:06:59

I have 12 ohm DW. The most recent run.  I had planned to get a decware amp at the same time, but I got some unexpected house bills that put off the amp buying.  

I am in the process of a system rebuilding the system.  I know I want a Decware tube amp.  Goal is to get one that will help create bloom at lower listeing levels.  

Borrowing a friends yaqin tube amp right now - also have a schiit vidar.  I prefer the yaquin.  I have to listen at levels that are entirely too high to get the bloom i am looking for out of it.  but the combo does sound good loud!  

do you have any thoughts on the dw vs. sould supreme for low listening levels?  

right now i have dac that I am not really satisfied with.  peachtree dac it.  6 years old or so and not exactly high end, but serviceable.  it seems on par with the dac that is in my yamaha integrated.  the yamaha integrated cost the same amout as the peachtree dac!  

up until now i haven't had speakers that would benefit from a higher end dac.  I assume the dirty weekends would.  do you have a dac recommendation?  

also, what amps are you using for your dw and your ss?

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #50 - 07/23/18 at 23:43:58

Our system are very similar.  

I have a little weird setup.

I also have Yamaha receiver which I use as a hub. I run preout to peachtree nova which drive my SS for TV/home theater. From Nova I run preout to decware tori mkiV to SS for listening to music. I swap the speaker cables depending on what i am in mood for.

Nova DAC is ok but looking for better one... just got Schiit modi multibit to see how it goes... still in mail.

Ideally I am going to go with chord qutest/2qute or border patrol USB maybe SE version.

But before I put 1-1.5k on DAC I want to give schiit a try.

Even al low volume SS/DW sound great with my torii... I like to listen little loud so I  bought torii mk IV  from Jeff. Wanted to make sure to have little headroom available.

Thanks,
RF

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 07/24/18 at 01:04:34

While the soul supremes have more detail and oomph, do you notice a difference in how they perform at low listening levels?  Also, how is the Torri at low listening levels?  If you had it to do again would you get the torii or would you consider one of the lower powered amps?

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 07/24/18 at 02:11:32

SS perform really good with torii at low level along with undertone sub.
The reason I got torii is to play loud without worrying about not having enough juice.

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 07/24/18 at 03:08:48

I am a noob to this, but dangit, I don't understand why subs are so darned expensive.

I really considered starting my system with the schiit gumby dac.  really expensive, but almost pulled the trigger anyway.  I wish there were better guidlines about component matching and how to set reasonable expectations for how a component should perform.  it seems like really good dac would be key.  the ps audio directstream dac gets great reviews, but that one cost some cash!

I wish someone locally (DFW) had a low watt decware amp to hear.  I found someone who had a 10 watt inspire amp paired with tekton double impacts.  i look forward to hearing that one day.

IP Logged
RF
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 07/24/18 at 05:27:58

It takes a while to put everything together.

Ideally you should start with the best speakers you can afford, followed by the amp, followed by sub and last DAC.

This way you can enjoy the system as you add new parts.

Good luck
RF

IP Logged
benlefebvre
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 07/25/18 at 02:01:30

@thetakeout, I’ve been using a Schitt Gungnir with my Zu DWs, and that’s been a very pleasing combo.

If you’re looking for a Decware amp that has bass bloom on the DWs, the Rachel is one way to go. I’m listening to that amp right now - trying it out as it were - via the Omens. The bass is much more pronounced than it was when listening to the Mini Torii I own. Between the two, the bass is much “tubier” on the Rachel than the MT.

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 07/25/18 at 04:28:40

wow, thanks for the thoughts.  the rachel and the gumby seem like a good fit with the dirty weekends.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print