Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:55:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA Compared to TORII Monoblocks (Read 14110 times)
NormD
Seasoned Member

ZMA Compared to TORII Monoblocks
03/13/18 at 20:54:26

Anyone compare the ZMA to the TORII Monoblocks   Is it worth the difference in money ?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: ZMA Compared to TORII Monoblocks
Reply #1 - 03/13/18 at 21:05:02

I have been waiting like you for someone to chime in about them.
....just for fun

....I'm good with my ZMA Smiley

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1464566312/15#15

Well, I will say, ....I want more recent reports....CoffsKids was cool... .
....and neac1976 owns them too.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/18 at 23:22:45

Stone, thanks for that link.  I like them much better in white.  LOL

Didn't Steve compare the Monos and ZMA in the  ZMA development thread?  I remember him saying that there wasn't a significant difference in volume (couple dbs?).  My memory says the ZMA was awfully close.  Imagine 4 big caps though!   Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/18 at 23:44:25

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1365130519/91#91

Quote:
I took an opportunity last night to listen to it on non-decware speakers which the amplifier is largely targeted to... i.e. $7500.00 and up loudspeakers that are the typical 86 / 87dB sensitivity.  To that effect Dave Janszen came over with his latest electrostatic hybrids and we compared the TORII MONO's to the Mystery Amp until 1:30 A.M. and both liked the Mystery Amp a bit more.  It was sweeter, a bit more organic and smoother.  We started with the TORII MKIII but it didn't match well and had some detectible distortion in the low frequencies when turned up.  The Monos made the speakers sing so we used them for most of the evening.  The Mystery amp was tried in the final hours to see what would happen and we could detect no difference in power despite it being probably close to half that of the monos.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/18 at 00:23:38

Thanks for this feedback!  I called Steve today and got pretty much the same opinion.  I'm sticking with my ZMA and will wait and see if Steve comes out with a 25th Anniversary upgrade like he did with the SE84UFO.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/14/18 at 00:37:48

I'm curious about what the Monos offer at that price compared to the other amps at this point.  Has Steve made them obsolete or is the marginal gain just not worth it unless money is really not an issue?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 03/14/18 at 15:51:53

Same here Norm.....I am sticking with the ZMA and see if Steve comes out with a 25th Anniversary upgrade like he did with the SE84UFO. Well, actually he is doing to an entry level..... .

My modified Adagio's, .... could be driven by the SE84UFO3(25th).
However, I DO NOT want to get back into that output tube or rectifier either. Lon, should have no problem driving his 92.5db @ 1 watt/1 meter HR-1's. I can see his interest and why he purchased these Mono's with Steve's bypass caps and what the original Zen topology of his can do with that output tube.

But once again, and Archie thanks for that quote, .....good reminder of what the ZMA can run/JansZen's.....and how comparable it is to the Big Mono's....as clearly stated.

Till we hear from Steve down the road about the ZMA and viable bypass (if any/or ever)....I'm looking forward to word about J of A's (Jeff's) Experiment in SPEED...found in this ZMA Forum.

Steve makes the speed issue quite clear in his reply #670 in the Development Thread/in General Forum. However, what Jeff is doing is completely reversible an could give some insight about the ZMA being enhanced (potentially) with these Mundorf....specifically created power caps. ....Film = Speed.

So why the interest, if the ZMA is so great as is...and it is...believe me and if I live with her for the rest of my days, just as she is...that is so fine.
But, Why Not? Is it not in our nature? Furthermore, in light of Steve's recent developments in bypass....why would we not want to tweak our ZMA's...from the master himself, right?

So, whether from Steve in bypass discovery or Jeff in film power caps/specifically designed for power (OR HYBRID-combining both of these by Steve).....I'm all for the potential!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/14/18 at 16:05:59

What are folks using for interconnects between their upstream devices (PreAmp or other) and the ZMA?  I’m using Voodoo Evolutions but I have a pair of Morrow MA6 I can put in line. Other suggestions?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/14/18 at 16:21:59

I'm using VooDoo Cable Steradivarius Cremona and Amati, both balanced and single-ended and love them. I started out with Evolution. . . going up the VooDoo Cable stable was very satisfactory.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 03/14/18 at 16:25:28

Norm, you're running pretty good stuff already. You can see what I prefer below, for my ears.

Very profound for me is the simpatico of the KS1030 with the all copper KS6063. Not hyperbole, to say it is stunning.

Room treatment is so extremely important too ~ in an dedicated Room.

....and yes, this particular Transport I use....and I have two new/in their boxes/on the shelf......no need for the high dollar stuff....that yes, I have had in my Listening Room.

Furthermore, great Speaker's....and you own a great pair. My modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's.....have crushed all the competition that have entered...and that has been quite a few.

....and of course, Tube Rolling the best on the Planet/still available....as you know Norm.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's or 6P3S-E's

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 43Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE: Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)
System configured on Floor ~ Townshend Audio CD Seismic Sink deployed.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/14/18 at 16:29:06

From what Steve said seems unlikely that the same methodology for the 25th Anniversary changes will be able to be implemented in the non-Zen models.

I can understand I guess wanting to stay the same with those EL34 types and not wanting to face the regulator rolling, but I'm very happy to leave the EL34 push-pull behind, it's great for speakers that need the power but sonically the single-ended SV83 amps have a magic I really missed and I love the way rectifiers influence the circuit and the changes rolling them makes. The single-ended natural organic illuminated sound has really energized me.  I have been reveling in the sound of the SEP Taboo Mk IV (fed by the ZTPRE/ZBIT/ZROCK2 combo) and can't wait to hear the 25th Anniversary SET. I know it's going to change my listening world, "way" for the better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 03/14/18 at 16:38:45

The ZMA is its own animal in power and finesse....Steve will visit it one day in bypass of its own doing/(ZMA). Furthermore, their is a Mundorf power film cap experiment going on too.

If it does not work out....my ZMA is fine....and it will save me $ Smiley

....and yes, as mentioned above/with mention of you Lon...the magic of the SV83 Amps....undeniable.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/14/18 at 16:46:14

Well, i wish you lots of patience. I think my mono blocks will have parts pulled soon. Exciting times for me!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 03/14/18 at 16:46:24

Norm, I forgot to mention in my reply #9...if the P cord to your Oppo DAC is detachable... .  Upgrading it is worth the time.

I went with the Cable CO's loaner library and the Shunyata I have (now replaced by newer model)....brought Steve's ZDSD with output trannies of his topology...to another level. My 2 cents.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 03/14/18 at 16:50:26

Yes! Awesome Lon....and I'm excited about them. I look forward to your impressions. My Speaker sensitivity is in bed with your awesome HR-1's you possess. It was many years ago I heard them at Decware.... .

I think the SE84UFO325's....are going to run them very well. I can just be jealous...and I should never say never....about a pair of them for me too.....future.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/21/20 at 19:35:44

Too funny! I was again considering the Mono's vs. my ZMA and was wondering if anyone on these forums had asked the question. Well, it turns out I had! I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. I'm glad I found this thread again. As an update, a while ago I sent in both my ZMA and ZTPre for the 25th anniversary mods and I'm very pleased. But we are all bitten by the upgrade bug now and again. I'll stick with what I have - betides, finding the room for the mono's is a big challenge.

Thanks everyone!

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
hells

Reply #16 - 05/22/20 at 03:13:51

These kinds of things happen to me too, I usually go back in my email to find similar purchase trends happening at the same point of the year every few years. We truly are a cyclical species  ;D

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
rluciano
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/06/21 at 01:12:17

Well . . . I may be a loon. I acquired a pair of Carver Amazing Line Source speakers. Before I took them up to my main listening area. I stopped them in the living room. I hooked up my Zen Torii MkIV and drove it with my iPhone through an Audioquest Dragonfly Black and it was awesome.

I took the speakers upstairs and hooked them up to my Holo Audio Spring KTE edition through a Pass XP-32 preamplifier to PS Audio BHK monos. And the speakers didn’t sound nearly as good. So I thought 24 watts won’t be enough for my home theater setup which is in the same room.

I spoke with Steve about the ZMA versus the Monos to drive my Carver Amazing Line Source speakers. 91dB sensitivity.

Steve said the monos aren’t really happy unless they are working hard.

So in a fit of insanity, since the ALSs are setup to be bi-amped. I ordered a pair of ZMAs with the anniversary mods to bi-amp the ALSs.

So does anyone think I’d be better off with the monos??

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/06/21 at 02:39:51

Quote:
Steve said the monos aren’t really happy unless they are working hard.

What exactly does this mean?  Do the Monos like inefficient speakers or just playing very loud?

Using the ZMA as a mono block is a first, I think.  Looking over this thread and the quote from Steve about the ZMA vs the Monos makes me think you are making the right choice.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
rluciano
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 05/06/21 at 02:50:08

Yes. Steve said the monos are happier when the peaks take them to 1/2 of rated power or more. It doesn’t matter if that is from inefficient speakers or playing loud.

So I guess I’d rather have 40 watts to each speaker’s woofers and 40 watts to each speaker’s tweeters than 60 watts to drive all the drivers in each speaker. Particularly if the 40 watts is just as good at 1 watt as 40 and the 60 watts isn’t as good at 1 watt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/06/21 at 06:20:27

I hadn't heard that before about the Monos.  It kind of takes the shine off them a bit.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print