Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:57:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBC Listening Room #2: (Read 11803 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

DBC Listening Room #2:
02/24/18 at 15:57:36

Was lucky enough to pick up a pair of 6 month old Omega Super 3i Monitors at a great price. This prompted me to get serious about set-up and room treatment in my second listening room (12'x12'x8'). Main purpose for this room is to test the combination of a great Monitor Speaker with my 12" SLAB's (low frequency open baffle).

WOW, I'm really loving the Totally Imersive and Full Sound. More to follow.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: DBC Listening Room #2:
Reply #1 - 02/24/18 at 17:29:14

Looks great!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/18 at 22:48:33

Wow, you did get serious about that space!  How are the subs hooked up?

Looking forward to reading more ... Cool

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 02/24/18 at 23:18:32

Holy sheep shit! You are catching up with the Chicago boys.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/18 at 15:30:16

Image quality is not the best, had to scale down the resolution quite a bit to get it to fit properly here.

The absorption panels along the side walls I've had in my main listening room for years. These are free standing so easy to move when experimenting. The diffusors on the front wall are GIK Acoustic Gridfusors. These are 2'x2' with a depth of over 5 inches. Two additional diffusors are mounted on the rear wall behind the listening position.

Originally I was listening in this room with no treatments. It's really interesting what the SLAB's add to an untreated or modestly treated room. Without the SLAB's connected the Omega Super 3i's sound like they don't quite fill the Room. Soundstage goes about 2/3 of the way up the front wall. Connect the SLAB's and room walls just disappear. Adding the treatments literally transports you into the original recording space.

Been developing and refining the SLAB's for about 3 years now. Since these are Open Baffle they just don't produce Room Boom in the lower frequencies. This way you can use a great monitor like the Super 3i that by itself might be a bit light on Bass but has Speed, Mids and Highs to die for. Listening now to Gary Clark Jr. Live and his guitar is just SOARING !!!!

Driving everything with a stock Zen Select (2-watts per channel). Amp connected to speakers via banana connectors. Slab's connected to speaker 5-way binding posts via spade connectors so it's a simple parallel hook-up with no crossover. The simplicity of the circuit allows all the low frequency detail and ambiance the Decware amp is capable of to shine through.

More thoughts later.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/25/18 at 18:44:42

DBC, so both sets of speakers run from the same speaker terminals...no plate amp involved?  You know me...not too technically savvy.  Looks great, I can only imagine the sound you're getting.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/18 at 19:54:48

Hello Mark,

You are correct on the SLAB speaker level connections. Plus & Minus from each SLAB is simply connected to the Plus & Minus terminal at each of your speakers.

If the cables from your amp connect to your speakers via bare wire or spades, then the SLAB cables would connect to your speaker terminals using banana's.

If the cables from your amp connect to your speakers via banana's, then the SLAB cables would connect to your speaker terminals using spades.

No additional amp, No additional power cord, No additional interconnects, no knobs to constantly fiddle with.

I sent you a link via PM with additional info if interested.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/26/18 at 00:54:38

I have to say, the GIK Acoustic diffusors have more of a positive impact on this rooms sound than the absorption panels do. I suspect the carpeted floor is providing a reasonable amount of absorption to start with? Really two Gridfusors in the front and two in the rear are enough diffusion for this 12'x12'x8' room to have a very positive impact.

Not pushing the SE84CS hard at all to get to loud volumes, I mean "Kick Ass Volume". When connecting the SLAB's you get about an added 3 db boost in volume output from the same number of watts (more headroom).

The Omega 3i's are 8 ohm and the SLAB's are 8 ohm. When the SLAB's are connected (parallel configuration) the amp sees a 4 ohm load which is no sweat for this amp.

I've been back and forth between my main (much larger) listening room and this room. With the treatments in this room, when I close my eyes and just listen there is no sense of walls or the relative small room size.

When this room was untreated the SLAB's produce a very big soundstage. The room treatments simply kick things up a notch.

DBC   IP Logged
jmain
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/18/18 at 16:53:51

Wow, nice.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/05/18 at 03:53:45

DBC - have you ever tried running with just one open baffle? And to what effect? I suppose the single 12" driver would give you mono bass (like a traditional subwoofer) opposed to the stereo bass you have now...I am interested in trying this in my own system.

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 07/19/18 at 20:13:14

Quote:
Holy sheep shit! You are catching up with the Chicago boys

Well, in comparison to those having *no* treatment, yes. But compared to Palimino and I, I think we have more *spare* room treatment than DBC has in treatment! LOL

I really like the looks of the room DBC!  I'm betting you'll get even more improvement as you add more diffusion. The acoustics books typically agree that you need 25% coverage to really affect your sound. Though in my experience, even 4 panels 2' x 4' was enough to take a system to another level (assuming the room isn't crushing your sound too much). When ProgRob lived out here, just adding 4 panels made the music so much more engaging, but he already had amazing sound.  When I brought those same panels (and more) to BadWolf's house, his overly large and reflective room saw improvement, but to a lesser degree. My mucked up L shaped room needs gobs of diffusers to get as much of an improvement as either of them.

Seriously, I'm stoked to see such great systems lately!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/18 at 20:21:42

I won't (can't) stop till every wall is covered. I'm finishing up another QRD this weekend.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 07/19/18 at 20:27:26

LOL, mention diffusers and we come out of the woodwork.

I'll message you later.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print