An Exercise in SPEED (Read 51992 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

An Exercise in SPEED
02/19/18 at 18:26:20

Since I am awaiting the release of the 25th Anniversary stereo amps, and have some time and a little extra cash on hand - I've decided to embark on a little experiment.

A few months ago, I sent my ZMA to get the bias meters replaced/upgraded.  While it was there, I had Steve replace the Beeswax caps with the Jupiter Copper & Foil (Type II) capacitors. The stock speaker binding posts were replaced with top of the line WBT posts.  I also replaced the RCA input sockets with the best WBT sockets, both in silver to match the interconnect's metal.  Figured, why stop there?  Steve custom built a shielded, all silver wiring network for the signal path.  Lastly, I replaced the POT with a Gold Point 47-step stepped attenuator, and the IEC with a Rhodium Furutech (Audio Magic fuse installed).  

Boy, oh boy, she came back sounding sweet!  It was not a cheap venture, but money well spent and the results were audible.  

Fast forward to about a month ago.  Taking another move out of member Vyokyong's playbook, I decided to test out a 10uF film capacity to bypass the stock electrolytics.   This was a change I wasn't all that excited about since it altered Steve's topology, but I did it just to see how it affected the amp.  I used the same make/model, the Obligato.  I have to say, that it did have a positive effect on the speed of the amp.  Was it dramatic? No, but detectible nonetheless.  

As I mentioned, I don't want to change the topology and adding in a pair of capacitors does that.  I am comfortable replacing existing key parts and components with higher quality ones.  So rather than attempt to create a film bypass network, changing the topology, I am going to remove the 10uF caps and swap out the two big red electrolytics along with the four 47uF bypass electrolytics in the stock power supply.  I want to install the best ones money can buy.  All of my research has led me to Mundorf.  It seems as though they have made some great headway in this department and have new technologies in their power capacitors that dramatically reduce ESR and ESL.  

Link:  http://www.mundorf.com/en/?category=hifi&menu=caps_power&content=mlytic

I have decided to go with the MLytic® HP+ (4700uF 500v) for the large capacitors and the TubeCap (film) to replace each of the four 47uF electrolytics.  Both are very interesting in design and seem to be the answer to the sluggish electrolytic problem so many have addressed with film cap bypassing.  The TubeCaps are of particular interest as they were specifically designed for tube amplifiers - hence the name.  Here is a short descriptor:

Quote:
The TubeCap® combines a high degree of dielectric strength and low residual inductivity with a very compact form of construction. It has been developed as a high-quality technical alternative to high-voltage electrolytic capacitors and is thus ideally suited to use in tube amplifiers.

So, it's a polypropylene film cap purpose-built to replace electrolytic power caps.  Being film, the ESR is extremely low, but pulls the duty of electrolytic at 47uF.  

This is not a cheap experiment, but I have a good feeling about it.  For the six capacitors, I invested $610.  But if successful in adding the speed the ZMA lacks in comparison to other more nimble amps in the Decware line-up, then I would consider it dirt cheap!  

The new caps arrive tomorrow, but I'm not sure when I can get my local tech to solder them in.  Hopefully within the next week or two.   Ill let you know.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: An Exercise in SPEED
Reply #1 - 02/19/18 at 19:32:26

Keep us posted Jeff. I remember Vyokyong's journey....we did some Stealth IC's too.

Steve made mention in the Development Thread/Reply #646:
"I will comment that the ZMA because of its giant caps already has a similar liquidity so I plan to re-examine the bypass caps in it and see if additional speed is desirable."

I certainly took note of this. I find the speed just fine. However, with your Obligato upgrade, "was it dramatic, no...but detectable nonetheless." ...has me thinking.

I had mine back to Steve last February (Meter's/Resistor's)...and when he gets around to seeing if he likes the improvement/re-examining the bypass caps...in the ZMA....I'll send mine to him for the upgrade.

Or, I will say this, if you like the improvement of your TubeCaps.....I'm doing it. $610 + labor of my local tech (Joe, modified my Adagio's with MCap Supremes). This will be a no brainer/since I am sticking with and only with, my ZMA and my stellar modified Adagio's.

You will need some burn in time....but keep us posted with delivery tomorrow and pic's if you don't mind, before you close her up. I would like to have for my tech.  

Having the option of sending to Steve or doing here will be nice. The shipping NAZI'S always scare me...even though she is in her Pelican Case.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 02/19/18 at 19:40:08

You stated: "So rather than attempt to create a film bypass network, changing the topology", ....which is what Steve is saying he is going to examine..... .

......you're doing these 2 + 4 TubeCaps!  I like this better (for Speed)!

If you totally dig this.....it's a done deal on this end.

....and thanks for the Thread....further Mundorf education is at hand!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 02/19/18 at 19:45:37

Currently, the stock power capacitor compliment is (2) 4700uf ("Big Red") and (4) 47uF electrolytic capacitors.

Ill be replacing the large red 4700uF caps with two of the Mundorf MLytic HP+ capacitors.  The (4) stock 47uF electrolytic power caps will be replaced by the Mundorf TubeCap's (Film=Fast).  So, six caps in total, two big and fours small.  

I'm definitely eager to hear what this will do to the ZMA's speed.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 02/19/18 at 19:49:09

Yes, thanks for the clarifications.

I'm excited about this! Taking the ZMA to triode speed, oh yeah.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 02/19/18 at 19:56:58

Quote:
You will need some burn in time....but keep us posted with delivery tomorrow and pic's if you don't mind, before you close her up. I would like to have for my tech.  

You betcha!  Ill send those over/post when I have them.  

And I'm with you on shipping.  Scares the hell out of me!  Pelican certainly helps but nothing helps more than simply NOT shipping and denying them an opportunity to play with gravity at the expense of our precious gear.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 02/19/18 at 21:17:58

There is an additional (identical) 47uF cap between the voltage regulator (OA3) and the two input tubes on each channel.  

So, I am going to replace this pair of electrolytic caps as well with the Mundorf TubeCaps.  So this will raise the TubeCap count to (6), plus the (2) huge MLytic HP+ caps.  The overall parts cost is now $680.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 02/19/18 at 22:34:19

You bet, 6 + the 2 replacing the big red Mallory's.

What are the size dimensions of the HP+ Caps? I did not get a scale of them or see size dimensions.

Are you going to keep the big reds intact/disconnected and prop stable the Plate outside its base until you get a complete sense of the power supply speed mod?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 02/19/18 at 22:54:36

Quote:
What are the size dimensions of the HP+ Caps?

They are a hair smaller than the Mallory's in diameter, which is good.  Mallory's are 3" and these are 2.95" I believe.  The height is similar too, but I won't know for sure until the Mallory's are removed.  

Quote:
Are you going to keep the big reds intact/disconnected and prop stable the Plate outside its base until you get a complete sense of the power supply speed mod?

The large caps are simply held in place by a clamp on the underside of the plate, so I'm going to pull them out completely and put the MLytics HP+'s in their place.  Its easy enough to do.  And, if I like the results, no further work required  8-)

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #9 - 02/20/18 at 01:57:44

JOA:  Wow! I wish you luck. And, I look forward to hearing all this goodness at your place one day soon!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #10 - 02/20/18 at 02:18:45

Certainly Ace!  I definitely look forward to that.  And to be honest, in terms of my system now compared to then, you will be glad you waited.

Plus, Ill have a complete secondary system setup soon - 100% vintage (all fully restored) and 100% Stewart Hegeman.  Harman Kardon Citation I Preamp > Harman Kardon Citation II Amplifier > Hegeman Model 1a Speakers - all designed by Stu.   It will be fun to push music through one, then the other.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 02/20/18 at 03:08:15

Very cool 2nd System.

Yes, the clamp should tighten up on that 2.95".

Once again, excited about this. If it snaps the PRaT in better = sign me up.

Then, I'll get your vendor you purchased from, pics first of course, silver solder used, et al.

When I read Steve's mind thinking about this via bypass caps if more speed is desirable and then your post going the power caps speed route....it needs to be done one way or the other.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #12 - 02/20/18 at 05:08:09

Thanks Stone.  It’s my all tube, but higher power system (120 watts) with lower efficiency speakers.  A very good compliment to my current Decware/Omega setup.  Hope to get the pre-amp and amp back from the current restoration effort within the next couple of weeks.

But not to get sidetracked....

I hear you.  It definitely got me thinking as well.  And having owned the Torii Jr. prior to my ZMA, I get what Steve is saying about speed.  So, I find this a very worthwhile experiment, and if it works, I can’t imagine it being anything but great for this already masterpiece of an amp.  

And yes, regardless of how you get there, getting there is what is most important.  I shall see how this plays out.  For me, I don’t want to change component values and throw the system off in anyway.  I am no amp designer and would never proclaim that I can outsmart the Zen Master.  So, I respect the design in the utmost.  But I am a business owner and understand cost of goods, resale value, and creating products for your target customer.  So what I am doing, is adding $700 of raw cost to an amp I own, and am not concerned with reselling.  Steve has to figure out how to accomplish his goals with each amp without pricing himself out in the process.  

Let’s wait and see how this all plays out.  If I get lucky and this puts the ZMA in a whole other league, then anyone with a ZMA and some extra spending cash will benefit.  But even if it does work, I don’t see these caps being on a Decware option list for the ZMA due to sheer cost.  But who knows.  If it works, there would be a lot of ROI on that added cost.  The 47uF caps are $32 a piece - far less than the cost to upgrade to Type II Jupiter caps.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 02/20/18 at 14:16:48

I respect the design of the Amp in the utmost too and only want to tackle the power cap area and path from 0A3.

However, we are at a point in its evolution of ownership to push on its masterpiece musicality for even more... . Whether through the Zen Master's conclusions when he reaches them; with what he suggested and will implement-if successful, and/or your experiment and its potentially successful outcome.

~Pending the Outcomes~
Furthermore, as we discussed, even though I hate having this family aireloom in music reproduction leave my home....I will send back to the Zen Master for one or the other or both enhancements. Both only, if he agree's. Or respectfully, I could have the one done here.

I look forward to this journey J of A. Let's roll.

Today....just back in.....running for the next 2 or 3 weeks:
~NOS Ediswan's for input's ~ NOS Telefunken's for inverter's ~ 6P3S-E quad & NOS RCA 0A3's
~Direct from ZDSD output transformer's (no Line Stage).

.......here is my order of Listening (keeping each scenario in one to two weeks at a time):

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Mullard pair (Cryo'd) 7308/E188CC ....as inputs/ZMA

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Ediswan pair (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs/ZMA

Audio Research LS-2B/single Plat' Mullard 7308/E188CC (Cryo'd) to Plat' Tungsram pair PCC88/7DJ8 ...inputs/ZMA.

ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Stereo Line Stage Amplifier w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's or 6P3S-E's

ZMA adjusted at  60-80% Gain ~ when ARC Line Stage is in, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are.....
Also Read.....the lowest noise floor you will ever witness....that a $5180 pair of speaker cables should have....and they do.....(I was fortunate to get them for $2680/Demo pair/mint, from the CableCo....worth every penny/extraordinary realism.....)

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 43Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/8th volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE: Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
XLO Pro Power Cord to Audio Research LS-2B MkII
Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Line Stage and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)
System configured on Floor ~ Townshend Audio CD Seismic Sink deployed & other Isolation devices.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 02/20/18 at 16:33:49

Quote:
However, we are at a point in its evolution of ownership to push on its masterpiece musicality for even more... . Whether through the Zen Master's conclusions when he reaches them; with what he suggested and will implement-if successful, and/or your experiment and its potentially successful outcome.

Word.

Let's do this.  Today the 2 large caps and 4 small caps arrive.  I ordered an extra pair from Sonic Craft which ship today and should arrive Friday at the latest.  When I get back home this evening I will take a couple snap shots so you can see them in the "flesh."

The more I think about this project and look into these specific Mundorf products, the more it makes sense.  We're not touching the signal path.  We're just souping up the engine, big time.  Speed is the intended outcome. Retain its aural greatness -make it quicker so as to handle the most demanding of music - and possibly find a unicorn along the way where we get an unintended augmentation of sound. Call it luck.  Call it an accident.  If it happens, either works for me.      :)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 02/20/18 at 17:05:20

Well put: "We're not touching the signal path.  We're just souping up the engine, ....."  "retaining its aural greatness"

...and yes, maybe a Unicorn of augmentation too.

...it does make sense to me as well....to go this path, first. I really don't want to touch the aural greatness...unless Steve is just gobsmacked when he tries HIS TOPOLOGY of bypass caps?! We know darn well, he is working his genius on the new Single Ended Amps.

I look forward to those pic's tonight/square one.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/20/18 at 17:51:02

Quote:
But even if it does work, I don’t see these caps being on a Decware option list for the ZMA due to sheer cost.

I wouldn't say that given that the Red Mallory caps were a $500 option for the original ZMAs.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #17 - 02/20/18 at 18:57:54

For sure. These Mundorf’s run $242 a piece. So $500 a pair with shipping. I’m sure Steve can go direct and order cheaper. All depends on his markup requirement as to what it would cost us. But let’s see if these dang things even make a difference first.   Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 02/20/18 at 19:00:08

Maybe so Archie.

J of A, to add to how successful this power cap mod should be; you know and owned the Torii Jr. ....and as we know, Steve made mention of the Jr., in his re-examination mention for the ZMA.

So, essentially you/we are giving the premiere version (Mundorf/developed as a high-quality technical alternative) power caps/ZMA, that the Torii Jr. has its version of already from the Zen Master.....is my speculation.   ~Speed~

Or, are the UFO Output Transformer's the key? However, once again...I/we don't want to lose the Aural Sonic's that is the ZMA. So, starting with power supply caps is first..... .

Anyway, I will shut up now....and will unfold the Power Caps and then Bypass Caps (Steve's re-examination/topology).....and maybe UFO Tranny's for the ZMA, all in time.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/20/18 at 21:26:59

The stock caps all cost something so the addition wouldn't be the full freight.  Steve seems open to cap upgrades soo ...

I remember in a thread Steve saying that the ZMA transformers were already ultra linear and that he liked the amp as is so UFO wasn't in the cards for the ZMA.

It will be interesting to hear what the new caps might do.  I think it is Will or Mark we have to thank for pioneering beeswax caps in the ZP3, which I got despite them not being an "option" on the order page.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #20 - 02/20/18 at 23:39:50

The caps landed!  And they arrived safely.  Here are some pics....

The 4700uF cap next to the 47uF

4-Pin configuration of the 4700uF

47uF

Bottom view of 4700uF next to 47uF

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/20/18 at 23:54:30

Nice Jeff! Looking forward to your impressions!

I was inspired by Vyokyong too, but didn’t start making it real until the summer of 2016, starting by replacing my Torii MKIV Jupiter HTs with Jupiter Coppers. This followed with many months of changes. Though a different amp, I hope my experiences might help in your path.

Comfortable with soldering, I could let changes settle to better hear what was happening with each before more. I really like this for learning and understanding, but it has created a protracted process!

After several months of Jupiter burnin, having a bunch of small value caps around from speaker cap bypass experiments, I started exploring bypassing power supply caps. In the Torii, though now using total values of 0.15 uF to 0.33 uF bypasses on each of the original 47 uF electrolytics, even a 0.1 uF cap (1/470th value) clearly shows the character and influence of the bypass used. In my amps, the sound improvement potential seems as much or more from power supply bypasses as from coupling caps!

So, in the Torii and CSP3 anyway, the power supply may as well be called the signal path. Maybe the giant caps in the ZMA have such a powerful influence that bypasses are not as clear there? I don't know the tech, but here power supply bypasses sound fully interactive with the signal, rather than linear, like the motor analogy.

As I explored I realized I could keep Steve’s basic voice, but progressively refine it. I also learned I could subtly tune that voice, solving something I was always able to adjust to, but that was an inherent issue for me with the MKIV. Especially with louder playback, I heard it as signal compression/saturation that was a bit over the top for me...perhaps an aspect of how the signature portrayed "density?" So, as I went, I kept in mind pushing the signal a little less while creating easier flow.

By late January last year, I had a beautiful power supply balance, but being so fun, I continue tuning even now. I could easily have stopped back then, having reached a great place that was hard to beat, but then I broke through, and it is the best ever!

Doing the CSP3 along with the Torii, the Torii’s five power supply caps per channel now have 8 bypasses, only Jupiter HTs used twice...and the CSP3, 2 different power bypasses, and bypasses on the Jupiter HT coupling caps. Mixing and matching remains fun, fine-tuning value and types to refine tone, timbre, texture, speed, flow, macro dynamics, etc. The balance of qualities of each cap in the whole really has to be right with the others, but best I can tell, if balanced, using a variety of complimentary caps adds pretty amazing potential for natural musical complexity, also making all recordings more enjoyable.

Though the Torii was quite fast with the right tubes, cables, etc, I like it being a little faster as long as the tonal balance is rich and full enough to carry the speed. Also carrying each electrolytic a bit further in value with better caps can create greater definition that resolves congestion. But too far, rather than improving complex passages, it begins to dissect the signal too much and make it too forward.

The Torii power supply has a 3.3 film cap related to the input tube circuit along with four electrolytics per channel. I started replacing the 3.3 with a Mundorf Supreme I had used for my speakers. With a clearer/faster bypass, it did all the right things, but I kept hearing a compressed thickness that was unnerving, the cap sounding intellectually correct, but not naturally so. I heard this same thing with Mundorf Supreme Silver Oil as speaker bypasses.

The 3.3 Supreme with a 0.1 Jupiter HT bypassing it in the Torii was quite good though....the HT's spacious texture and “sparkle” really bringing it out. But in this prominent position, I still heard a bit of that Supreme “thing.” Wanting to explore more caps, I replaced it with a Jantzen Silver Z cap. Being clearer/more transparent than the Mundorf, the Jupiter bypass was too much, so I traded it for a 0.1 Audyn True Copper Max. The Audyn was slightly warm in a more neutral and less characterful way, less "sizzly" while still having good balance, harmonics, definition, and textures. Nice.

Though I found Obligatos compelling, I could not make them work...too clear and hard on too much music, even when carefully tuned with more textured and spacious caps with better fine detail.

Like you, I also replaced connectors….IECs with fused Furutechs, Rhodium in the Torii and gold in the CSP3, WBT nextgen copper/gold RCAs all around, Cardas silver plated copper with a rhodium flash binding posts, TDK 2511 potentiometers, all notable individually and collectively.

I also replaced a few strategic resistors in the Torii to chill the signal intensity and open things a bit, and for the same reason, replaced 0.1 Jupiter Copper coupling caps with 0.082 Miflex Coppers, hoping reducing the value a bit might subtly tone down signal intensity/saturation. I liked the Miflex right off... rich and complex, but with a bit more definition. However, they were new. Burned in now, I need to compare the Jupiter Coppers directly and see who wins, but the Miflex are so good that comparison is not a priority. The flow has become easier, less pressurized from these changes, but I think equally, from using more transparent and faster connectors and potentiometers all around.

Anyway, I considered using Clarity TCs, or the Mundorf Films you chose to replace electrolytics, but the sound was so amazing from bypassing with film in the Torii and CSP3, I never went there. The tonal complexity from mixing decent bypasses is difficult to balance, but can be very, very good...perhaps an area to explore one day if you get an urge after burnin...good bypasses on the Mundorfs???

I talked with Steve a few times in this process, and he said he would not mess with the wires, but this is hard for me, having explored making cables a lot, and finding the wire used super influential. Knowing I could put the Mogami back in, I had been thinking of doing a similar thing Steve did for you, in my case, using Dave Cahoon’s (Zenwave Audio) Neotech silver/gold, or Neotech UPOCC silver, or a combination for signal wires, and making the shield with Neotech UPOCC Litz. Maybe next!

But, speaking of wires, my amp work is on hold for now, in the midst of serious IC exploration using different high quality wires, connectors, geometry, damping, etc…..amazing sound! Also demanding attention is integrating a Mac Mini server I have had, but that was transformed by an Operating System developed by Eric Hider (Tranquility DAC), and fast memory ...As I learn it, it appears to be truly amazing, blowing any idea of “just 1s and 0s” so far out of the water it is absurd.

Over 200,000 lines of Mac OS code removed, the 1s and 0s getting to the DAC appear to have seriously transformed my previously extremely good front end. I thought I had a good handle on digital, Decware tube implementation helping. But this sounds like a different level altogether, like a real blend of the good things of tape, and the good things of digital, and all this improvement created before the DAC!!! A lot like modifying Steve’s amps, the basic character can remain close, but refining the signal in all areas of subtle to very subtle qualities can create a vast change in facilitating musical immersion! It blows my mind, every change that stands up to careful listening making the sound the best ever.....and then it gets better, and better, and better...

I think this indicates how really good stuff has potential beyond itself. Like how good Decware amps are to begin with, but also, how much they can be refined with thoughtful and careful tuning that is verified by serious listening! Or how upgrading with a quality system component or cable can make other very good system/room components way better!

Archie, cant recall exactly, but I thought Steve was in on the development of Jupiter beeswax caps???

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/21/18 at 00:08:28

Quote:
Archie, cant; recall exactly, but I thought Steve was in on the development of Jupiter beeswax caps???

I just remember that when I ordered the ZP3 that there wasn't the option for the Jupiter caps and I had to ask for them (and pay extra, of course).

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #23 - 02/21/18 at 00:33:54

Awesome Jeff. .....look forward to seeing them soldered in with pics and you get to fire it up.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #24 - 02/21/18 at 01:35:22

Hi Will,
Thank you for sharing all that great information describing your capacitor "rolling" journey.  The dedicated effort it requires is obvious based on what you have detailed.  

I couldn't agree more that there is definitely a cause and effect phenomenon when it comes to replacing parts that change the sound signature, even though not directly connected to the signal path itself.  If the power supply didn't improve, or degrade, the resulting sound, there would be no point in bypassing or otherwise putting in R&D time to alter/improve the power supply chain.  

I will say though, it is what you described in your last post that makes me steer clear from this bypassing "trial and error" process.  It is a wormhole I do not have the time, skill (soldering) or patience to embark on.  The reason I selected the capacitors that I did was to create the effect of bypassing - overcoming the ESR and ESL shortcomings of electrolytic caps -without altering the stock topology.    

With regard to creating a new bypass network, what you did was no doubt a necessary and worthwhile effort.  It's just not for me.  And I imagine that each design and improvement that Steve makes follows a similar methodology and work flow of "placing and replacing" until a magic moment happens.  From what I understand of the process, bypassing is complex and the variables are seemingly endless.  So, rather than retain the slow electrolytics (47uF) and compensate for their shortcomings with lower value bypass film caps, I am hoping to increase speed by replacing them outright with film caps, not requiring bypass.  That is where the TubeCaps come in.  They are film, but designed to carry out the duties of the electrolytic cap in the power chain, but faster. This is a very unique and rare design.  

This will be a short and sweet trial.  If it works, it's a "win" and they stay in place.  If it doesn't work, then I am done and will wait for Steve to conduct his experiments with bypassing on the ZMA until he is happy with the results.  I will then have him perform the mod on my ZMA.

I totally agree with your statement about Decware amps.  They are designed to sound fantastic out of the box - and they certainly do!  But, they are also a great foundation for improvement for those who are able to invest time and capital into exploring what is possible.  That is something you have obviously taken advantage of and there is no doubt in my mind that your Torii MKIV is one of the best, if not the best, sounding Torii's out there.

Thank you so much again for sharing Will.  I really enjoyed reading this synopsis of your journey.  It was not only informative, but also very interesting - and inspiring for those more adventurous modders.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #25 - 02/21/18 at 02:22:37

No doubt Will. Your dedication and understanding is an informative read.

Archie, you're right, I do remember Steve stating the output tranny's with the ZMA are all that' and he is happy with them and their output. I would not want to have those replaced, due to cost.

Jeff, thanks for bringing your goal into focus and sharing it with us. As you stated if it works....it will be an affordable enhancement that will be so stellar for our ZMA's. If not? Steve pursuing his bypassing and sending to him will be my decision too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #26 - 02/21/18 at 04:47:37

Quote:
perhaps an area to explore one day if you get an urge after burnin...good bypasses on the Mundorfs???

Great idea Will.  I think that makes a lot of sense.  The 47uF Mundorf TubeCaps will be really fast, but not as fast as a 0.1uF of the same or similar type - I assume.  I could possibly see myself dabbling in that territory down the road.  :)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/21/18 at 06:30:08

Jeff,

I think your direction makes perfect sense. I almost bought the Tubecaps a few times, and the Clarity TCs (their interpretation of the same idea) a few more times, so I understand. Though painful, I think I would have to put in the Tubecaps first for some months of heavy play...to identify specifically what role they play in the new sound. Then, add the MLytic HP+s once the qualities of the Tubecaps are clear, giving a chance to see exactly how the HP+ compare with the Mallorys.

When I tried to read about bypassing, as usual, there were all sorts of opinions...bypassing presented as irrelevant, wrong, questionable, occasionally useful, and some liking it, but not being very clear in presenting why. I probably stopped looking too soon, but I could find very little useful, so just dug in.

I quickly found bypassing for fine-tuning speaker sound powerful. I think of decent bypasses as sound quality adjusting tools. When it works, the higher quality bypass cap seriously improves the other by adding its special character to the sound, including, but not limited to speed, integrating all aspects of its fine detail information and tonal qualities. Not always a good fit, and maybe I am lucky, but in most cases, using nice caps, the bypass cap can transform the one being bypassed, mixing the two cap's sonic traits.

This seems particularly powerful in the power supplies of my amps. For example, the electrolytic related to the input circuit (as best I can tell) in the Torii, for quite a while I bypassed with a .22 Mundorf ZN I had around (pretty neutral and nice for this) livened up by a .1 Jupiter HT. The characters of both bypasses were pretty balanced and obvious to me, literally mixing their traits. More recently, to recheck myself, I was running just the HT in that position, and it was lower key and nice in combination with bypasses I had in other positions. But I wanted more bite, clarity, and body. Adding value with decent caps punches things up and clarifies in the Torii or CSP power supply, but also I wanted to add a little definition to the bottom of the Jupiter and some body, while making its complex texture and highs less feathery, and also more complex. A more neutral, dynamic, and balanced Rike S-2 has nice body, definition, and texture, with a little less top-top. Putting these two caps together, both 0.1 uf, was like making a new cap that seems just right, combining the best of both, and making a cap you likely can't buy, but can create....very cool. For me, this combining of caps with complimentary traits, both two bypasses together, and spread around in different parts of the power supply, has been an enlightening tuning tool.

Bringing me to my thought about possibly bypassing the Tubecaps...They may be just right, but lets say they are really beautiful while being a little dark, and maybe you want a touch more speed, clarity and texture. I suspect if you then added a pretty solid, open and textured bypass, you may be able to bring this hypothetical Tubecap to a more complete level of sonic balance and excitement. And if you mix a few complimentary caps appropriate to what is needed, the added complexity of two might be even better....I agree though, it is ultimately trial and error. But with the right caps, and a little luck...can be somewhat seamless also.

This is what I have been having fun with.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #28 - 02/21/18 at 16:33:33

Quote:
When I tried to read about bypassing, as usual, there were all sorts of opinions...bypassing presented as irrelevant, wrong, questionable, occasionally useful, and some liking it, but not being very clear in presenting why. I probably stopped looking too soon, but I could find very little useful, so just dug in.

You aren't kidding Will.  I attempted the same approach to research this topic and it didn't take long to realize this method would lead to nowhere fast.  There was just too many strong views/opinions to cipher through, so determining fact from fiction became too daunting.  I gave up.  

Quote:
Bringing me to my thought about possibly bypassing the Tubecaps...They may be just right, but lets say they are really beautiful while being a little dark, and maybe you want a touch more speed, clarity and texture. I suspect if you then added a pretty solid, open and textured bypass, you may be able to bring this hypothetical Tubecap to a more complete level of sonic balance and excitement.

Great advice and I will certainly keep this in mind once these Mundorf's are in place, burned in, and fully understood.  

-----------

Going through the old ZMA development thread, I found this statement by Steve in one of the posts which is very relevant to the purpose behind my experiment.

Quote:
In a nutshell, we're talking about the speed of the power supply at given frequencies and combinations of frequencies.  The caps were so huge that below 120 Hz when used on the wrong output tap (which will happen in real life) and on worse case speakers, the bass lacked attack and control, although it was incredibly powerful and deeper than I've ever heard it.  I found bypassing it with equal quality electrolytic by F&T fixed the low bass problem but getting the values right is like designing a crossover.  It took two paralleled caps to fix both the low bass and mid bass.

So, my hypothesis is, these higher grade and alternatively designed power capacitors will immediately and further improve on what Steve accomplished when researching different cap compliments for the final stock lineup in the ZMA power supply chain.  These Mundorf's should be much faster and result in significantly less losses than the stock compliment.  Again, I am hoping they will add the speed and agility to handle any difficult scenario in music or equipment.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/21/18 at 18:22:09

Sounds good! If the film caps (Tubecaps) have a sound you love, changing to film may well do all you want!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #30 - 02/21/18 at 19:01:39

Film = Speed

I have a competent gentleman here.... Unlike me Cheesy
If I bring him the parts and the details...it's a done deal.
I'd rather have Steve do it. All I can do is ask................
.......if it works?

If it takes till May to come to a conclusion, or you're floored right out of the gate Jeff......can't wait.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/21/18 at 19:01:50

In the middle of all this great tech conversation, would you mind if I ask how we define "speed?"  What is it exactly?  Based on your experiences from ZMA and TORII, I might start looking into my SE84UFO and TABOO mkIII and consider some cap upgrades!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/21/18 at 23:08:55

Alper,

I hope more will give their thoughts, but I think of speed as quickness of all aspects of the signal rising and falling in and out of empty space. Part of dynamics, fast micro dynamics reflect "speed." Feeling of immediacy.... excitement of flawless attack and decay... natural flow of sound without restriction. Along with, and contributing to dynamics, clear and defined signal that is fully resolved without slurring seems to be a basis of speed, showing complex textures and air also. "Syrupy" might be opposite of speed.

Addition:

Another reflection of speed to me is when music sounds slower from a system adjustment. Along with fine detail information....ambient info, textures, space, etc, I find these really useful indicators in seeking/identifying a good signal. When the signal gets cleaner, more resolving, and faster, it sounds to me like it leaves more space between immediacy of attacks and faster onsets and more complete decays, the space causing the pace to feel slower.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #33 - 02/22/18 at 13:18:04

Great question Alper and I think Will answered it most eloquently. Make no mistake, the ZMA is special and I would not be in my 5th year with her, if she was not. The liquidity is off the charts with POWER. However, a little more geddy-up can be had. I would not call things slow or to lush.....having the long experience and sonic memory of my SE84CS and SuperZen CKC.....and the fact that I believe these enhancements for the ZMA (one or the other or both)....can match Decware Single Ended Speed. The Torii JR. has it....so we are going to damn well match that in the ZMA!

From Will & then Jeff (my quote button does not work):
"I suspect if you then added a pretty solid, open and textured bypass, you may be able to bring this hypothetical Tubecap to a more complete level of sonic balance and excitement.

Great advice and I will certainly keep this in mind once these Mundorf's are in place, burned in, and fully understood."

....................................Exactamondo.  

Hoping the Zen Master chimes in with a timeline of when he will tackle his bypass experiment/potential enhancement adjustment to the ZMA.

I'm doing one or the other (or both) as time will tell. For me personally, I've decided, Steve is the only one opening my ZMA up for surgery.....despite the fact that my Pelican Case (prestine-when it first came 01/22/2014)/housing my ZMA, .....then, subsequently, from only 7 hours to Peoria and 7 back....now looks like it went around the world twice (when I sent it to Decware last February for Meter & Resistor enhancements).
I might drive it to Steve by appointment.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 02/22/18 at 13:30:32

....and yes, I'm fully aware, even before Will mentioned it in his first post on the matter: The power supply overall and the big Red Mallory's (most likely/go read the ZMA Development Thread) contribute to the ZMA's overall sonic signal path. That is why maybe the Zen Master's Bypass magic alone....might be what we are seeking.

But first, I whole heartedly support Jeff's effort and hypothesis....the power cap full gig/alone....might accomplish the goal and retain the sonic path signature through Steve's topology via Jupiter caps whether reg Jups or Type II.

Or, as I just quoted above....and Will states (in which I fully respect Will's knowledge and vast evident experimentation).....it might need both enhancements.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 02/22/18 at 16:10:24

Can I live with her the way she is? Most certainly....great Amp. Plus, it ain't gonna be cheap, to do one or the other or both enhancements. I suppose one or the other is not to bad... .

Anyway, I'm glad this came to light:
~I started thinking about it with Steve's posted developments about the new Amps...bypasses in the fuel line
~Palomino made reference to the speed of LR's little puppy vs. the ZMA
~Steve made reference to it.....if more speed is desired (ZMA) and he will investigate....cause the Jr. has zip
~Then Jeff, harkened back to Vyokyong's Thread, in which I read again and I was curious way back then about enhancing my ZMA.

nough' said ~ fun stuff indeed.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #36 - 02/22/18 at 16:27:16

And if I wasn't as OCD and impatient as I am, I would never have even entertained such an idea   Grin

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/22/18 at 21:38:50

Will, Stone,

Thanks for the definitions...  Now we are on the same page!  :)

Cheers,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/22/18 at 23:00:19

Alper. You are welcome. The subtitles of the language describing sonic perceptions are tricky so glad this helped.

Stone and Jeff,

I am really excited to hear how things shift Jeff! As you said, just the switch to decent film power supply over electrolytics is conceptually pretty powerful. At the same time, since the ZMA seems to overrule a lot of sonic impediments, presumably with its giant caps playing a big role in this, it will be quite interesting to see how much impact changing the electrolytics has. This is one reason I would have to try the Tubecaps first with the known Mallorys... to see how notable the changes are as well as identifying just what the qualities of those changes are. Hearing what the Tubecaps do on their own would also clarify potential (or lack thereof) for bypassing them...also if seems a good idea, how intensely to bypass.

Each of Steve's amps are different, but the ZMA and big monos are more different it seems with those giant caps, perhaps setting them apart in terms of how they respond to power supply modification????

Very excited Jeff!

Will

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #39 - 02/25/18 at 16:59:28

Still waiting on one pair of the 47uF TubeCaps.  

Then I need to get in line with my audio tech.  He quoted me a 2 week wait time a few days ago  :-/

But maybe ill get lucky and he will be able to take it right away - this coming week - when I expect to have the parts that I need.  

Once my ZMA is away getting outfitted with the new caps, I am sending my Ultra pre-amp in  to Decware to have Steve upgrade it with new Type II caps.   But in doing so, he will need to do some re-engineering.  He expected it to be twice as resolute.  I’m pretty excited about that.  It is such a great and versatile pre-amp.  

Ill let you know as things progress with the ZMA.

Happy Sunday!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/25/18 at 19:48:30

Not sure how I missed this thread until now, but very exciting indeed.  On notification now...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/26/18 at 02:36:22

Jeff, I hope your guy is not too busy when your caps come!

Also, getting the Ultra tuned up and caps burned in, it will be cool to see how that improves everything else!

Here, working on the CSP3 and Torii together, improvements to one clearly refine the other.

Working to retain qualities that Steve carefully created, though all the mods that worked well with my amps refined everything, I found that musically balanced bypasses most influenced the qualities of speed, clarity, density, flow, etc....refining musical potential and resolving congestion. When right, this can transform the electrolytics, while retaining what they offer.

But with the caps I am using in my amps, in excess, bypasses can cause these same traits that make the music realer to begin to "dissect" the signal. This is related in part to excess value (too much of a good thing), but also on cap traits. More resolving, spacious, textured and dynamic caps with a slightly lower value can be more influential than duller caps with a slightly higher value. Or hard sounding caps of one value can blow the sound out, while more complete and complex ones of the same value can sweeten the sound.

This is what I was talking about in terms of whether you love the sound of the Tubecaps...Changing to film may do a lot of what you want, but will also impart the signature of that cap. All good if it feels right, but if not quite right, bypasses may help for fine-tuning.

I find that as resolution in quieter space increases, specific cap traits and how they compliment one another in the whole becomes even more critical.

For example, a bypass or coupling cap can clarify aspects of the signal, but if hard, also impart hardness. And being a particularly defeating trait for most of us as we try and bring our system/rooms into greater completeness, solving hardness to me is a primary consideration in tuning. The solution I seek is to better resolve fine detail and space, and associated, finer resolution, textures, ambient information, and tonal complexity. This can expand and make more complex the concentration of edge information that contributes to hardness. By more clearly and musically differentiating "the particles" that once created a harder edge, edge concentration can become textured, ambient, more natural. At the same time, finer detail brought out in balance, every other aspect of the signal can become more complex and seductive.

I think I started noticing this with tubes. To make "bright/hard/lean" recordings more listenable, most tend to choose "more forgiving" tubes. But I have found that a good balance of more resolving tubes, textured and spacious, with natural sounding smoothness and a touch of warmth, can help solve edge hardness without losing anything. This is a little counter intuitive if the assumption is that hardness is "too much detail." But if a tube set has good musical balance, and is more resolving, more fine detail and space can feather edges by integrating the edge with ambience, textures and air, better bringing out what comes before and after the once harder edge with more complex beauty. At the same time, edges now less dominant in perception, clearer space and greater resolution can also make attacks, textures and decays faster and more present, enhancing musical pleasure.

I think this is the same with caps, but caps, being earlier in the signal, if the cap compliment is musically more resolving, everything before and after benefits...from source, to cables and tubes, to speakers. By enhancing subtler detail and space, along with everything else that makes music beautiful before the tubes, the tubes get better. Equally, more musically resolved with balance and complexity, lesser recordings can become enjoyable.

But nothing is in isolation, reminding me of that old source truth. Whether a great source that is carefully set up to be fully resolving, or one that sounds balanced, but that can't bring out the fragile and nuanced information that makes music sound more real.....Either way it is pretty easy to forget how critical source is.  

Fine information not there to begin with, and worse, fine information transformed to not-so-good qualities like electronic and digital noise, glare, rigidity, smearing, muddle.....potential for deeper levels of improvements are seriously compromised.

And even with a very good source, if everything along the way does not protect and preserve the more fragile aspects of music the source offers, these sorts of amp refinements could be much less noticeable, refined, and beneficial. Whereas, if we can avoid damage to subtler information in emptier space, increasing resolution, ambient character and complexity, textures, air, finer definition, and all this while retaining tonal beauty and balance.....modifications can be quite obvious….for better or worse...but being able to hear them more clearly, hopefully more easily refined.

Eric Hider of DbAudioLabs gave me what I think of as a pretty priceless tool when I first got his Tranquility DAC...Listening for the qualities and completeness of decay as a simple indicator of the health of subtle aspects of the sound.

If it is there in the source, by setting a system/room up to carefully bring out the fragile qualities of decay, the rest of the signal will also benefit from clearer space and finer detail complexity. Then, reading decay alone while evaluating a change, be it cables, feet, settings, power caps, speakers....can help preserve the subtitles needed for authentic musical presentation throughout.

This has proven true for me countless times, fine detail in space improvements progressively creating a more resolving and revealing baseline that makes further changes more clear. It seems pretty solid historically for me, that if a change allows or enhances relatively complete natural complexity of fine detail and spaciousness, without compromising other musical qualities and balance, all aspects of the music can improve. This does not rule out adjusting for other qualities and balances, but it can help keep those qualities more refined and true. For me, these are really good things to keep in mind for evaluating system tuning.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 02/28/18 at 19:29:48

Just got to this thread after Stone mentioned it in the Decware development thread.

I've built some guitar amps where I thought I'd be awesome and throw money at fast, modern, high end caps. It pretty much doubled the cost of the amp, and I thought it would be fast, and chime and have deeper harmonics.

Boy was I wrong.

The best way to describe what my expensive experimentation sounded like....it was like a super sterile transistor amp. Super fast, but fast to the point of being unforgiving and making everything sound edgy and tiresome to the ears.

I do hope you stumble into a unicorn, but be aware that you can have too much speed. There is a balance where you have that lushness that's warm and tooby, but still sharp enough to give you PRaT and pull those micro-details out of the black.  I do hope you find that with these mods!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #43 - 02/28/18 at 19:51:05

For sure LR!  One thing I have learned is everything we do comes with a risk. I have also learned that every situation is unique, and until you put your c@$& on the block and just do it, you will never really know if success or failure awaits.

For me, the risk is low. If it doesn’t work, it’s such an easy switch back to stock. I can probably sell the Mundorfs on the used market but if not, I’m not too worried about it.  If it was an irreversible modification, I would sucritinize the decision much more. But it’s not.

Worst case is I return it to stock and if Steve’s adventure in power cap bypassing is a success, then back to Decware she will go. If that too leads to failure, then I will continue to enjoy the incredible awesomeness this amp spews in its original format.

We shall see....

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #44 - 02/28/18 at 20:04:48

Oh yeah LR>Steve makes the speed issue of too fast-quite clear in his reply #670 in the Development Thread. I'm glad he spoke and I posed the questions I did, because he mentioned previously in the Devel. Thread the ZMA specifically re-examining.

Jeff, exactly, 1) completely reversible...and once again, I applaud your experimentation.
2) "Worst case is I return it to stock and if Steve’s adventure in power cap bypassing is a success, then back to Decware she will go. If that too leads to failure, then I will continue to enjoy the incredible awesomeness this amp spews in its original format."

Spot on.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #45 - 02/28/18 at 23:28:07

aaaaaand....     I would not be attempting this with “standard” design film caps (regardless or quality) that are not designed to act alone as power capacitors.  Based on my findings, there are only two manufacturers creating high value film capacitors purpose-built as alternative (direct replacement) power capacitors - Mundorf being one of them.  And, by default, I have to assume the engineers at Mundorf understand the differences between film and electrolytic when designing capacitors with a power role as the primary assignment.  These are 47uF film capacitors rated at 600 volts!  Very A-typical.  Because this is a tit-for-tat direct replacement of the four stock electrolytics (4 out, 4 in), I’m less concerned about them being high-end or boutique, and most interested in their unique design and ability to execute a task for which film capacitors are categorically not designed to do.  

This will not quite be the same as taking a bunch of low farad rated film capacitors (not designed to act alone as power capacitors) and placing them in the same role as the stock electrolytics.  I understand films role in power bypassing.  These relatively large (47uF) film caps were birthed to act as, not in addition to, film capacitors in the power chain. So, definitely a different animal here.  

I fully understand that even though this looks great on paper, it could end up being an utter disaster.  I accepted the risk of a total investment loss in these new caps.  But, I also believe that these Mundorf TubeCaps have not been used in this role in a Decware ZMA (or possibly any Zen amp model) prior, which means until it is done we can only speculate on the results.  I will certainly share for anyone interested.  

Bottom line, it really is just a fun little experiment and I won’t get my feelings hurt if this side project tanks.  :)  

I certainly appreciate the words of caution LR.  Once they are installed and fully burned in, I will objectively listen.  If I get anything resembling the undesirable side affects you mentioned, then I will humbly abort and put that curiosity to bed.   I won’t get mad if you tell me, “I told you so!”  ;)

PS:  I think I would attempt to keep the large electrolytics (MLtyic HP+) in place and remove the TubeCaps if the sound is not to my liking.  Electrolytics have a life span.  It is based on time and temperature.  As the cap degrades over time, its performance changes and eventually they will need to be replaced.  No ZMA is immune.  I don’t have the specs on the large red Mallorys, but the Kemet’s have a 20,000 hour lifespan at 85C.  
Depending on your listening habits, that may be a very long time, but not forever.  And its performance over that 20,000 will inevitably change, but when it becomes audible is the question.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 03/01/18 at 00:07:16

Especially since Mundorf designed the TubeCap specifically to be used in the place of electrolytics in tube amps, should be interesting. On the other hand, a few reasons I went with bypassing electros:

1) I had a bunch of OK bypasses on hand and if they did not work, the amps would be the same as stock after pulling bypasses.

2) I was intimate with the amp sound using stock electrolytics, making any bypass changes easy to observe.

3) And the TubeCap and Clarity TC, $30 give or take for a 45-47 uF cap. Though they would very likely have refinements over most electros, a big cap at that price from good companies seemed unlikely to sound as refined as a $30 small value bypass.

I know the right combination of bypasses make a really nice improvement here, imparting the characters and refinements of each bypass cap on the electros, as well as doing good electro bypass things. Comparatively to just using the Tubecap, I can't say though, so I appreciate your checking it out Jeff, and looking forward to what you hear!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 03/13/18 at 20:23:35

Hi Jeff,

figured I would take a temperature check and find out if you had things solder slinged in yet? Maybe, burning in right now too?

Re-read your post #45, from 2/28 and got excited about this experiment once again!

Those: "film caps were birthed to act as, not in addition to, film capacitors in the power chain. So, definitely a different animal here."

Smiley
....just kickin it, this afternoon with my Caintuck design 15" Alpha OB & modified Adagio's.......ZMA of course.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #48 - 03/15/18 at 02:19:08

Hi Stone,
To update you on things, the amplifier was placed in the hands of my vintage audio tech on Wednesday of last week.  At that time, he was upfront and honest in saying he would not be able to start on the work until mid next week, which means today.  

He has his marching orders and knows what needs to be done.  I hope that he will have it ready for pickup by this same time next week, but we shall see.  Once I hear more, I will report back.  

But the good news is, the ball is in motion and the work will be done.  My impatient self just hopes sooner rather than later   Smiley

Thanks for checking in!  More to come...

In the mean time I am enjoying the company of my Torii MKIV.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #49 - 03/15/18 at 13:47:21

Great Jeff! ......look forward to more to come.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3