Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:32:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is SE84CKC = SE84UFO ? (Read 6730 times)
TomFrei
Verified Member

Is SE84CKC = SE84UFO ?
02/17/18 at 20:16:06

I recently bought a used zen that was advertised as a SE84UFO.  The amp looks exactly like the SE84UFO that I bought direct from Decware in 2016.  Anyway, after looking on the bottom, I find it is a SE84CKC made in 2015. Is this the same amp, but numbered differently?  A prototype model?

IP Logged
TomFrei
Verified Member

Re: Is SE84CKC = SE84UFO ? [solved]
Reply #1 - 02/17/18 at 20:21:43

I just checked the model history on the products page.  The SE84CKC is the previous model, and I assume, differs from the SE84UFO .  I have been using both as bridged monoblocks and they appear to work well together. Anyway, I know the answer to the question that prompted this thread.

If anyone knows more specific differences between the two models, let me know.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Is SE84CKC = SE84UFO ?
Reply #2 - 02/17/18 at 20:33:16

The difference should be the output transformers. . . the CKC was "pre-UFO transformers." In June 2015 the CKC become the UFO model. If I remember correctly there were a few that were on order that were CKC when the UFO changes were to be initiated that Steve offered to make the UFO model. That may be the case with this one? There may be a post in the appropriate forum if that is the case. If not then if it's a CKC it does not have the UFO transformers.

Here is what the product page says:

SE84CKC / Manufactured from 2013 to 2015.  Known as the "SuperZen" the chassis has been improved again with a 1930's typewriter finish. By far the best sounding version to date due to a re-voiced front end. Each amp now comes standard with cryo treated beeswax caps. We named this update the CKC mod which stands for "Christmas Keeps Coming" which can be seen in the model number.

SE84UFO / JUNE 2015. Taking everything we've done to date the only possible thing that could be improved is the actual thing that made the amp sound so much better than it's competition... the output transformers. Decware SET output transformers set this amp apart with the ability to drive a dead short, and maintain flat response out to 20kHz. Now with our upgraded UFO wide bandwidth transformer standard equipment, it makes this amplifier simply untouchable.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/17/18 at 23:38:33

If a SE84 series amplifier has been updated with UFO transformers there will be a toggle switch for each channel to select between high and low impedance speaker loads.

WWW   IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/21 at 12:54:25

Quote:
If a SE84 series amplifier has been updated with UFO transformers there will be a toggle switch for each channel to select between high and low impedance speaker loads.

So how does the se84ckc select an impedance range?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/02/21 at 13:02:30

No, there would be two toggle switches in the back were that the case. Without the toggle switches there is no user selectable impedance changes, something introduced with the UFO transformers on the Zen amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/02/21 at 13:25:45

So then what is the range of impedance that the amp works well with?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/02/21 at 15:41:35

So then what is the range of impedance that the amp works well with?

The standard version used 4 ohm outputs and 8 ohm outputs were optional.
8 ohm and below work fine with the standard transformer.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKCowner.pdf

IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/02/21 at 16:58:23

The standard version used 4 ohm outputs and 8 ohm outputs were optional.
8 ohm and below work fine with the standard transformer.

So in buying a used se84ckc I need to find out which transformers it was built with, with my drivers being 16 ohms....

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/02/21 at 17:44:31

There are very few EX models out there and I'm not sure the option existed on later versions. Talking to Steve would be good.

https://www.decware.com/paper52.htm

IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/02/21 at 19:05:07

Hey Lin,
Thanks so much for the link that is really good info, I will talk to Steve as soon as he comes back to work I guess on Monday...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print