Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:41:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jupiter Copper cap's in CSP3 (Read 10767 times)
funch
Seasoned Member

Jupiter Copper cap's in CSP3
02/12/18 at 03:31:16

I was curious to know if anyone here has tried the Jupiter Copper cap's in
their CSP3?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Jupiter Copper cap's in CSP3
Reply #1 - 02/12/18 at 04:16:20

I have a CSP2+ with the Type 1 Jupiter caps in it, and a CSP2+ also with the standard caps. Both sound very good. There is a clarity to the sound with the Jupiter caps that distinguish them. Without the Jupiters they can seem a bit warmer and 'slower" in nature in comparison.

I have the Type II copper foil Jupiter caps in both my ZTPRE, Taboo Mk IV and my ZROCK2. They are so good sounding there I don't doubt they would sound wonderful in the CSP3. They have a clear and natural sound that is very seductive.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/22/18 at 02:35:03

The website is confusing for the CSP3 - the upgraded caps from Steve just say "Cryo Beeswax". Are the Jupiter copper caps, or just cryo'd standard caps? What caps come stock in the CSP3?

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/22/18 at 02:38:22

Pretty sure it's not the copper foil, which are Type II, but rather the Type 1 aluminum caps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/18 at 02:59:07

So are the Type 1 Aluminum caps also the standard caps? For the stock caps it says 'poly film caps'. I am deducing then that the stock caps are not Jupiters, nor aluminum I guess. So are the upgraded caps are Jupiter aluminum caps that are cryo'd, where the stock caps are poly film unknown brand? Website only says the upgraded caps are cryo'd caps with silver leads. Any information is welcome. It also says under the timeline that "the improved layout [of the CSP3] makes it possible to offer the larger sized cryo treated beeswax caps". Where do the Type 1 and Type 2 nomenclature come from? Is that just Steve's personal naming convention? I wonder why they don;t offer Copper foils caps for the CSP3?

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/18 at 03:05:24

So it seems you are suggesting in CSP3 these are the upgraded caps:
Jupiter HT cryo condensor caps (aluminum foil in beeswax impregnated paper dielectric)
http://jupitercondenser.com/product/round-beeswax-audio-capacitor/
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0514/jupiter_copper_foil_paper_wax_capacitor.ht...

Do any of the amps come with copper foil as an upgrade?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 02/22/18 at 04:09:31

The CSP3 when built with beeswax caps uses four 0.47 uf caps.  Besides the cost difference there was originally a size difference making copper foil impossible to use in the preamp.  Now that copper foil caps are round like the aluminum and not much larger we will be offering them as an option on the CSP3 and will be updating the web page to include the option soon.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/22/18 at 11:29:00

doukhobar wrote on 02/22/18 at 03:05:24:
Do any of the amps come with copper foil as an upgrade?

The SE84UFO3 mono blocks come with them standard. I have the copper foil in my ZTPRE, Taboo Mk IV and ZROCK2. They are excellent caps.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/18 at 14:23:46

Hi Steve, thanks for chiming in and adding that good news. I have the Jupiter Cu Foil as the external caps on my ERR speakers. They are very spacious and clear - very musical. However, I've never had one of your amps or preamp with upgraded caps and am interested in pursuing this. Any thoughts on the advantages/benefits of having the caps upgrade throughout the signal chain? Is it most important to have it at the source, i.e. amp (if running without the preamp)? I am mostly interested in the CSP3 as a headphone amp, since I use a ZBIT. I have a Torii Jr that has stock caps, and it looks like the upgraded caps can be the Jupiter Cu Foil (i.e. Type II caps) or the V-CAPs. So, it would be possible to have Cu Foil in the CSP3 and Torii JR and my ERR it seems, right?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 03/05/18 at 04:38:13

As promised, we have updated the CSP3 page and capacitor options available from within the shopping cart to include the copper foil caps.

Also there is a new owners manual for the CSP3 on this updated page.  

https://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/09/18 at 16:09:10

Will there be an option to buy a new CSP3 with the 25th anniversary mod?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/09/18 at 17:03:20

I believe so, as one has already had a CSP3 in for another reason and has the upgrade made. In your shoes I'd give Sarah a call.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print