Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 05:29:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tori jr vs parasound - yet another help a newbie ? (Read 12891 times)
JP
Verified Member

tori jr vs parasound - yet another help a newbie ?
02/07/18 at 21:01:55

Hello
I currently own a vpi prime tt with a ortofon 2m black cart, a Manley chinook phono stage, wyred4sound stpse preamp, parasound a21 amp with ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL tweeters . I have been contemplating going from ss to tube amp and am looking at the tori JR. Can anyone give me an idea of the differneces I can expect to experience ? I listen to 70% classic rock, 20% blues, and 10% jazz. I listen moderately loud but not ear splitting levels Thanks

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: tori jr vs parasound - yet another help a newbie ?
Reply #1 - 02/08/18 at 00:35:16

Welcome to the forum!

What draws you to the torii jr? Do you think your amp is the weak link in your system? Do you have any room treatments? What is your room like? What is your power situation (dedicated circuit, surge protection, etc)? Is this a music only system?

I cannot answer your specific question. I think having a back up amp is worthwhile. I am 2 watt amp guy, but I would have a ZMA if I had less effecient speakers. I am sure the torii jr is great, but I have no experience with it.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/08/18 at 03:11:23

Welcome to the forums, nice system you have there and Parasound makes some good gear as well.  I can understand your interest in seeing what else is out there and Decware put out great gear at what I like to call blue collar working man's prices.

I went to the Ascend website just briefly, but didn't see the specs for your speakers.  What are they (i.e. sensitivity, impedance, etc.)?

IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/08/18 at 14:26:03

Goo morning and thanks for the responses.I am not unhappy with the sound I was just wondering if tubes would make an overall improvement in my system. I dont have dedicated room treatments- they would not meet the WAF(wife approval factor).
These are the specs on the speakers

Typical In-Room Frequency Response      34Hz - 27kHz ± 3dB
In-Room Sensitivity      92dB @ 2.83v / 1 meter
Frequency Response (Anechoic)      41Hz - 28kHz ± 3dB
Sensitivity (Anechoic)      89dB @ 2.83v / 1 meter
Impedance Compatibility      8, 6, and 4 ohm rated amps and receivers
Minimum Impedance      4 ohms
Minimum Recommended Power      25 watts
Maximum Continuous Power*      300 watts

Thanks

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/08/18 at 18:15:15

JP, I recently went from SS (Bryston) to a Torii Jr, and after doing so wondered why I waited so long. The TJ is awesome. My speakers are a bit more sensitive (93db) than yours are though.

Also, since you like classic rock at moderate levels, a ZRock2 might bring noticeable improvement.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/18 at 17:18:09

Thanks. The zrock looks intriguing but i am concerned about adding  another component in the signal path.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/09/18 at 17:53:36

JP, I worried about that for many years too but. . . adding the ZBIT and then the ZROCK2 rather than diminishing sonics in any way really opened up the sound and improved everything. So I get the reluctance, but these are great devices to add in my experience.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/09/18 at 18:56:47

So  the chain would be phono pre, z rock , then preamp?

If I am reading between the lines it sounds like I should start out with keeping my existing set up and start with  the zrock tweak and go form there?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/09/18 at 19:01:49

I would place the ZROCK2 after the preamp if you are going to have a preamp in the system, between the preamp and amplifier.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/09/18 at 19:12:23

After I posted,  I just glossed over the manual and it says place between your source and the preamp/amplifier so now I'm confused...

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/09/18 at 23:22:52

I asked Steve and he told me to put it after my CSP3 -- so, between your pre and your amp.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/10/18 at 12:43:38

You can try it both ways and settle on what works best for your system which is what I did.   After doing that the ZR2 ended up after my CSP3.

I can’t say enough good things about the ZR2 and about Decware.  Like others on this forum I’ve been in this ‘hobby’ for quite a while.  Started with tube systems, went to ss and back to tubes.  My system now is all Decware.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 02/11/18 at 15:44:01

JP- Welcome to the forum. The forum has some wonderful, knowledgable members and lots of info and opinions. Way back in the late 90's I bought a CS84SE 2 watt amp kit and an experiment just to see (hear) what it would bring to the mix. Over a period of time, sold all other gear (except TT) and bought our Decware/Omega system. You have some really nice gear now, adding a Decware amp will really change the playing field. I think it will re-invent the way you listen to music. I will never look back and regret our purchase and still plan to add a pre-amp sometime. Keep us posted on your quest and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/11/18 at 23:01:49

Thank you all for the responses.  I really appreciate it.  So if you had my equipment, what decware piece would you add first ?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 02/11/18 at 23:22:53

Simple. ZMA.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/11/18 at 23:38:43

CSP3, then upgrade rectifier and input tube, then ZMA

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/11/18 at 23:47:02

Or Torii Jr if you are happy with your preamp and a ZMA is out of your budget.

IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 02/12/18 at 18:28:09

So if I started with a csp3, then I could add it to my existing set up for now in the following way- run a separate set of RCA jacks to the csp3  from the phono pre. Then connect that to the parasound a21. Leave my extisting preamp hooked up for now so i can compare the sound. If I like it better, sell my existing preamp. If I like both , keep the csp3 for headphone duties since my existing preamp does not have a headphone out.
Sounds ok to do this way?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 02/12/18 at 18:30:16

That sounds like a good plan.

IP Logged
back2vinyl

Reply #19 - 02/19/18 at 03:51:07

Enjoy my Parasound  pre and amp……I have a the zp3  fed by the VPI Scout and I am happy. I don't have loads of money to seek out the best combo… I have a million other things that I need to spend money on, music is just  one…I love what I have….I am fortunate  to be able to own a 2k amp, zp3,  and everything else…Could it be better, blank yea it could be…but what I got is what I got and I am done unless something breaks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print