Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 22:56:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impressions of Amperex 6085 tube in ZP3 and ZROCK (Read 3511 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Impressions of Amperex 6085 tube in ZP3 and ZROCK
01/29/18 at 00:15:50

I just bought a pair of these and besides Lon's recent impressions in the ZROCK I know nothing about them.  Has anyone used them in the ZP3?  I'm too lazy to search.  Watching the film "The Odd Couple"...  :)

PS...I just found a post from September 2016 where I asked this same question.  No one responded.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Impressions of Amperex 6085 tube in ZP3 and ZROCK
Reply #1 - 01/29/18 at 00:56:44

I've been asking the same thing!  I used a Philips (made in Holland) that might be the same as the Amperex in my ZP3.  I took it out recently as I thought it was making the highs a bit harsh.  I didn't seem to have that issue with a National (made in France 6085) which I liked.  I'm back to using my Raytheon 12AU7.

Put it in and let us know what you think.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/18 at 01:34:16

The Phillips and Amperex 6085 made in Holland are the same tube.  The 6085 was also made in Hungary by Tungsram.  I wasn't aware of a French version.

Yes, I will try it and report.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/18 at 02:50:45

In reading the gain for the 6085 is 27 vs 17 for the 12AU7...so a more forward sound might be expected.  Might be interesting in the ZP3 in the second system with 2.3 WPC Monos.  I'll try them everywhere though...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print