Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:16:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new SE84UFO2 experience (Read 9060 times)
whoopycat
Verified Member

My new SE84UFO2 experience
01/14/18 at 04:33:17

Figured I'd start a running thread of thoughts on my new SE84UFO2 that arrived today.  

First thought... I can see why new amps spend a day in packing/shipping stage on the spreadsheet!

Second thought... make sure your DAC is actually turned on when you're trying to figure out why you're not hearing sound.

Third thought... it's not a good idea to critically listen to your new amp when it just came off the truck on a 10 degree day.

So, initial impressions at the 5 hour mark.  I have it hooked up to my Zu Omen DWs (97db/12ohm), and my Yamamoto YDA-01 DAC (3.1V) with no preamp.  I haven't been able to play it very loudly because I have my kids this weekend, and that in itself has been a revelation.  For the first time ever I have low level detail.  I never understood this concept until now.  I always would think what's the point of listening to music that way, isn't it just quiet backgroud music at that point?  Now I know.  My phone says I'm playing at about 68db average with peaks in the low 70's.  That's pretty quiet IMO.  Even at this low level I can hear air around Paul Desmond's saxophone.  I can hear a lot of things.  Oh, and the volume dial is at about 9:00.

Here's another thing... this is my second Decware piece, the first being the ZROCK2.  It has been in the chain but bypassed all night.  Right now I just don't feel like I need it.  I'm getting all the tone density I need at this low volume.  I turned it on for a few seconds but it was way too much bass, so I'll dial it in later when I have more time.  I never checked in the ZROCK2 thread to see if there are any Zen Triode users.  IIRC most looked like they were running it with a Torii or a ZMA. Curious to see what other Zen Triode users are experiencing with it, I'm going to re-read the thread.

I had assumed that with just 2 watts that the SE84UFO2 and the ZROCK2 would need to go hand in hand, but I might have to rethink that.   I'll put the Zen through the paces Monday and Tuesday night, and report back in a few days.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: My new SE84UFO2 experience
Reply #1 - 01/14/18 at 13:36:57

Congrats on the great start with the amp! I've been listening to mine for about 10 days and it is wonderful. Great match with efficient speakers.

JD

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #2 - 01/14/18 at 16:23:37

Hey Cat,  I believe you will find a sweet spot with the Zrock. I find that I am using it more and more to fine tune from Lp to Lp or CD to CD. It's becoming a nice tool. A very nice tool to have!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 01/14/18 at 18:06:49

Quote:
For the first time ever I have low level detail. I never understood this concept until now. I always would think what's the point of listening to music that way, isn't it just quiet background music at that point?  Now I know.

Just thought the comment above was worth repeating!

None of us who started out in the hi-fi hobby with hi-fi gear could understand the concept either. It doesn't really exist in the hi-fi world because the equipment doesn't have the detail and the crossover laden speakers don't have the speed to reproduce it. For example, in that same world of 50 watt amplifiers and up, be it tube or solid state, the amplifiers themselves have to be turned up before they will bloom and develop any bass weight and detail not to mention sound stage.  

By doing the exact opposite of main stream audio, we reduce the power and increase the signal voltage needed to drive the amplifier. This creates a gain structure that supports low level detail and bass weight making it possible to listen at lower volumes and hear more music.

It is especially fun when listening to your music library again for the first time with the new amplifier and realizing that you're not listening to surfaces of sound but instead those perceived surfaces become layers of textures and spacial information that most do not know is there because they've never heard it. This would include some hi-end audio reviewers who have dedicated their whole life to reviewing hi-end audio gear which we already know does not have the ability to achieve this kind of low level detail.

How is it possible to hear more music at lower volumes?  Simply it is from less cancellation and the polluted sound of room reflections.

Keep us posted as things break in. Usually about 100 hours will make a big difference so in these first weeks having the amp playing all day on the radio when you're not actively in the sweet spot helps accelerate the process.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/16/18 at 21:48:58

Congrats on the new amp!
I have the Zrock2 connected to two UFO2's, and feel that the Zrock has significantly improved, not only the bass, but the overall fullness of the music.
Granted my setup is different than you. The Zrock feeds from my ZP3 which feeds from my TT, and I don't have any digital sources. However, you may want to play with the Zrock more to see if you can find the sweet spot.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Jake G
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/13/18 at 23:15:24

I always thought the Zu Omens were a bit on the bright side, how do they fare with the SE84?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print