Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Music for "Bass Heads"
01/10/18 at 19:48:22

As a musician I was always trying to find a new way to use my bass drum in my kit, and have been fascinated with bass guitars and contra-bass violins, to the point of bleeding fingers and cramped hands. . .

And as a music lover and listener I love recordings with interesting bass sounds and players and know I'm not alone!

I've encountered a cd lately that really has awakened the bass head in me as it is an avant garde/fusion band with two bassists, both playing Fender electric basses, one fretted, one fretless--and the bassists are a very focal point of the music and and an important part of the melodic foundation. I thought I would mention it for those who crave some great bass playing:

Hotel X "Random History of the Avant Groove"

These are musicians from Richmond, VA who don't take themselves too seriously. .. don't have the world's greatest chops, but have fun and know what a groove should be. Fun, spirited, accessible music. And lots of wild bass playing!

Another record I've come back to for the bass playing since '72 when I first heard it is Miles Davis "Bitches Brew." This double album features Harvey Brooks on electric bass guitar (a fine rock bassist, steady as a rock) and Dave Holland on contrabass violin (and I believe on electric bass guitar in a few spots). Again many melodies are built from and anchored by the bassists and the playing is extraordinary.

I probably have more copies of this recording than any other as I keep buying it to get closer to the performances in sonic wonder.

Then there's Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" . . . . Mingus was a minefield as a band leader and person but a genius composer and a master bass player. His bass work on this album has astonished me and I keep marveling at both his dexterity . . . and his creativity at crafting bass lines and structuring solos and accompaniment.

And my favorite bass playing in rock is perhaps a dark horse choice but. . . Billy Cox with Jimi Hendrix, especially on "Band of Gypsys". . . . Billy's control and tone and "temperament" epitomize rock and blues and funk bass playing for me. He was an anchor and also a strong support and I love to hear his work.

So just some favorites I'll toss out, recordings I reach for for a bass fix and also because the music itself is so satisfying. And with our excellent systems with that great lower frequency accuracy and body that the Decware components dish out these are great listens.

If any of you other bass heads have some favorites . . . here's the place to mention them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Music for "Bass Heads"
Reply #1 - 01/10/18 at 21:15:01

Want to add this one: Weather Report "Sweetnighter." Miroslav Vitous and Andrew White III both play funky and deep bass on this and there are several very long grooving pieces that have been bass strongholds for me since the 'seventies. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/18 at 21:52:48

Almost predictably.... the late great Scott LaFaro
Fills the room with sweet power.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/10/18 at 22:30:03

Now that Lons encouraged me into a late listening session....

RVG remaster CD

whoops didn`t realise this is a bass head thread
I`ll play Bitches Brew next and find that accoustic bass that plays a few cutting runs ...

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
s3steve

Reply #4 - 05/19/20 at 18:07:47

Don't forget Marcus Miller!

CSP3-25
SE34I.5
Ariston RD11
PS Audio GCPH with the Underwood upgrade
Bluesound Node N130
Altec 605B's in a 620 Cabinet / JBL 2402 / Markwart 605B Time Aligned Crossover
Omega Super 3 XRS
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/25/20 at 03:29:16

Lon...thanks for sharing!!  I will definitely give those a listen.  When I attended Decfest 2 years ago...I got to experience some seriously low end bass when Steve was running Tori Mono’s through the SO Imperials Horns.  I was completely ruined from that day forward and have a whole new appreciation for deep bass.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 05/25/20 at 13:29:34

Mingus Big Band - Haitian Fight Song

This one’ll knock your socks off!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT