Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:14:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EL34 in ZMA (Read 8484 times)
Jeff1

EL34 in ZMA
01/10/18 at 00:52:30

Any one use EL34's in their ZMA? Likes or dislikes compared to the KT66.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: EL34 in ZMA
Reply #1 - 01/10/18 at 01:18:19

If you look through the original ZMA development thread, started by Steve, you might find his impression of the EL34 in the ZMA.  And if not, it still can be a fun read.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 01/10/18 at 05:06:33

I am currently running a quad set of PSvane El-34PH's in my ZMA.  They are $350 and worth every penny, in my opinion.   Now, these are based on the legendary Phillips Holland EL-34s of the past.  Those you simply cannot find and if you happen to get lucky, you are spending thousands for a quad set.  

Are these on par, I don't know.  They sound exceptional to me in the ZMA.  But your question is more type specific that make/model specific, so my opinion on this $350 set of EL-34s may not apply to other, less exotic versions of this tube type.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/18 at 00:52:13

I just received a quad of RFT ( SIEMENS ) - NOS - EL 34 from a vendor in Germany.  I can't say they are matched as well as tubes I get elsewhere, but the magic of the ZMA allowed me to get the bias dead on at 50.

They are sweet. I think I like my 6P3S's a tad better for air and high clarity, but it is close. I'l run them for a few days and report back.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #4 - 01/14/18 at 03:10:16

My curiosity in the el34 is the hazen mod and if there is noticeable in anyway compared to the kt66.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/14/18 at 15:17:27

I cannot comment regarding the hazen mod, but I can say that there is a distinct difference between the RTF EL34's and the TAD KT66's.  The latter have a very strong bass and crisp highs whereas the EL'34's have a stronger midrange with more than adequate highs and bass.  So the EL34's are smoother and more amenable to vocals, piano and strings.

I have a quad of NOS RTF EL34's with the dimple on top that I am willing to sell.  I paid $250 and willing to sell to $225 pus shipping.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 01/14/18 at 21:08:24

Yes Norm the air and high clarity I'm getting out of the 6P's with Tele inverter's and Edi's or my Mull's for inputs, has me in heaven with this aggregate tube compliment. RCA NOS 0A3's.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/14/18 at 22:32:51

Stone:

I have exactly the same configuration except fo the stock OA3's.  I may order another set as backup.  I have the Psvane EL34's on order, but I doubt they will match the 6P3S's.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 01/15/18 at 05:52:08

Norm,
The El-34PH's are great in their own right.  I wouldn't write them off so soon.  I have them in now, and have been listening to them this past week.  They are contenders.  I would say the EL-34 class of tubes in the ZMA, in general, is at a disadvantage.  But there is something about this PSvane set that has me scratching my head.  Definitely not one to be generically classified.  It is an outlier, in the most wonderful way.  Keep an open mind and you may be surprised.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/16/18 at 01:49:30

I did not intend to be that dismissive, although after reading my post , I can see it could be read that way. I will certainly give them a good listening. I’d be delighted to find current production power tubes. Plus, I paid good money for them!

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #10 - 01/17/18 at 06:27:41

Sitting here listening to Lee Ritenour Smoke and Mirrors on the PSvane EL-34PH’s.  These tubes produce a really unique, incredible sound.  Different.  They are LUSH3. It is a silky, rich, and very exciting sound signature.  Much different than the 6P’s.  I won’t say better or worse.  So different that I cannot rightfully declare a winner.  It is one of those situations where 5 out of 10 would pick the PSvane’s while the other 5 would pick the 6P’s.  Both sets excel in their own right, but from different sides of town.  Classic East vs. West.  

The midrange beauty of the 6P’s is undeniable while the lushness and sexiness of the PSvane’s has me doing a double take in a completely different direction.  

I believe this is a situation where you shouldn’t choose.  These tubes will be in my repetoire from here on out and will go in and out depending on my mood.  

But, value matters.  There is a significant price differential between the two sets.  I think they are equal when it comes to the highs.  The 6P’s have the distinct advantage with the midgrange and the EL-34PH’s have the edge when it come to bass volume and drive.  

That is about as objective and honest I can be when speaking of these tube sets.  I really dig them both and plan to keep a set of each in my tube library.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/20/18 at 03:01:50

Where is a good place to get the Psvane EL34PH’s?  I may have to try a quad.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print