04/19/24 at 21:24:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZDAC 2 - TEAC & MQA (Read 5367 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

ZDAC 2 - TEAC & MQA
01/09/18 at 21:46:42

I understand that TEAC is a MQA partner.  Has anyone heard if TEAC plans a software upgrade for the NT-503 USB DAC?  This would allow users to hear full benefits of TIDAL Master recordings.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: ZDAC 2 - TEAC & MQA
Reply #1 - 01/09/18 at 23:36:45

Unfortunately, the "full" MQA Master experience will not be possible with that model.  The reason being, is in order to fully unfold an MQA file, certain hardware needs to be present.  The NT-503 does not have it since that model preceded the MQA partnership.  Now, you can still listen to partially unfolded MQA files/streams with software (2/3 unfold), but it is not the real-deal.  That is why you can stream MQA via Tidal from the desktop application, but it is not a fully unfolded - all the benefits included - MQA master experience.  

TEAC may update the software to get you the 2/3 unfold, which is still really good, but new hardware would be required to get the last unfold.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/18 at 01:12:54

2/3rd's is better than none, I guess.  Is it me or do the Master files sound better than HiFi versions on the ZDAC2 regardless?  A bit more spacious and detailed. Smiley

NB

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 01/10/18 at 02:25:15

No, it's not just you.  I would say that I have heard enough Master vs HiFi file comparisons on Tidal to proclaim there is something to MQA technology.  
The micro detail and dynamic range are the two most noticeable categorical differences for me.  

And you are right, the 2/3 unfolded MQA files (well recorded/mastered ones) still sound pretty damn great!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/11/18 at 04:59:29

There haven't been any software updates at all - it's frustrating. I love the sound of my NT-503, but the lack of updates is frustrating.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print