TORII JR. Sound (Read 5979 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

TORII JR. Sound
01/09/18 at 18:34:48

Figured I would add a little love for the TORII JR. here.
I changed a few tubes up yesterday. I am running Cryoed KT77's now with a nos 596 rectifier two RCA OA3 VR-75 coke bottle's, and for fun I put the 6N11's back in also that Steve sent with the amp. I am not sure what happened but my system is sounding like what Steve is describing in his thread on the new amp he is working on right now. I was feeling pretty happy and amazed the last week or so with where my system was at with the ZROCK breaking in, but it is at least 10 times better now probably more, no definitely more, and like I said I was thrilled with the improvements and happy with right where my system was at before, but now I feel like I really should be sharing my system with someone so they could experience this too, unfortunately I have no audio friends to share with except online. I am not sure what is making this amazing difference but I am not touching a thing. It's like the duration of the notes is 5 times longer, so much more information and the depth and separation is giving so much more room to the other subtle details and the background instruments I am hearing things I barely noticed before if I even did, and all in there fullness. Beautiful when things start to really come together.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: TORII JR. Sound
Reply #1 - 01/09/18 at 18:40:18

Great to read! I think the Type II caps in your ZROCK2 have broken in and those are excellent conveyors of musicality--my guess is that is the big catalyst for the differences you're hearing. I want them in everything from now on!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 01/09/18 at 18:48:30

Yes, I like them also, so much so that I replaced the caps in my speakers a couple months back with the same ones.
It's hard to describe, it's like the music is taking it's time now and filling out every note while being fast at the same time if that makes sense.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/09/18 at 18:58:51

Yes it does. . . that sounds like what these caps do to me.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #4 - 01/09/18 at 21:41:16

Something similar happened with my system about a week ago. i had not changed a thing, quite satisfied with the tubes i was using, really enjoying how the Torii Jr. was sounding. Then it all got better. i'm wondering if in my case, the Torii Jr. just "seasoned" a little bit more, and just got better all on its own. i have about 300-400 hours on it. Maybe it hit another level. Even my son, who came home from college for winter break commented on the sound. He thought it was amazing, so much better than he remembered at Thanksgiving, and just sat back in the chair and grinned all the way through his new Childish Gambino lp.

Whatever the explanation, this is some wonderful gear and this amp continues to amaze!

dvl

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/10/18 at 02:42:38

Sonic,

So glad to hear things are coming in.....I was thinking about you and tubes the last week or so....now, the "don't touch a thing" thing explaining a lot! Great!

dvl,

300-400 hrs, as I recall it, is the first part of the maturation phase of burnin. ....much less notable ups and downs from now on, if you notice any...just getting better and better. Look for another level in the 500-600 range, and then around 1000.

Happy days!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print