03/28/24 at 17:57:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuse size confusion (Read 4689 times)
Samsdad
Verified Member

Fuse size confusion
12/30/17 at 15:26:16

I'm completely confused by how big of a fuse I should be using inside the Junior. Background: I was bored and put in a ceramic 3.15 amp fuse in to see if I noticed any sonic difference between the stock glass fuse and a ceramic variety.

The manual says use a 3 amp fuse, but in looking at the fuse that came stock inside the amp I noticed it is a 5 amp fuse. I crossed my fingers and toes and powered it on, and the 3.15 amp fuse works (so far). It seems to provide a touch more punch, but I'm probably imagining things.

Anyways, I was moving the amp yesterday and noticed that the label under the amp that has the serial number, etc. says to use a 6 amp fuse.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Fuse size confusion
Reply #1 - 12/30/17 at 15:46:24

That certainly is confusing! The manual for the Jr. states:

The 120V TORII JR uses a 3 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse.
(220/230/240 volt customers use a 1.6 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse.)

And in the captions to a picture showing features of the amp it notes a 3 amp fuse. That is what my Torii Mk II and MK III amps use. I imagine that is correct.

I've found benefits to using different fuses. I use a Furutech in my Torii.  I have an Audio Magic that I will put into my ZROCK2 soon. Have two of those in my ZTPRE and they have been very pleasing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/31/17 at 01:38:48

Thought I would mention that this was quoted in another thread and Steve corrected this. . . he says "The TORII JR uses a 6.3 Amp fuse, but in some cases even that is not enough to handle the turn on surge of the large power transformer.  The fuse size can be increased to 8 Amps if needed."

So in this case the manual is incorrect. Glad that he corrected this here!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Samsdad
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/18 at 11:03:20

Hi Lon,

Thanks for following up on this. I just noticed that you had responded (again). For some reason your replies didn't trigger an email notification to me. I'll grab a 6.3 amp fuse. Thanks again for your time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/04/18 at 12:20:43

You're welcome !!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print