Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:03:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which amp for Traps on Order (Read 10973 times)
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

which amp for Traps on Order
12/15/17 at 16:39:16

I'm wondering if Rachel would be better for the Traps than the Mini Torrii if the extra size is not a problem. The amp will be on for 9 hours a day 5 days a week at work. I've thought about a small solid state but I'm spoiled now due to my Torii MK4. The Traps will not be against a wall and I'll be about 4 feet away from the speakers. I'm sure I can't go wrong with either and they're similarly priced. Opinions?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: which amp for Traps on Order
Reply #1 - 12/15/17 at 17:13:37

I would choose the mini torii for the small size, dual mono, and tube regulation.

I would choose the Rachael for the set design, meters, and more power.

I think either will work fine.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/15/17 at 17:21:46

What will be your source feeding the amp? The output of your source will be a key factor.

Quote:
Mini Torii vs. SE34I.4

Both of these amplifiers a similarly priced and close in power so it should help to know the following:  The SE34I.4 is a single ended triode (SET) amplifier, designed just like our 2 watt amplifier.  It can be configured with up to 4 pair of inputs for a stealthy system with minimal cables and components.  This amp is simple to use, has very few tubes, and features nice meters.

The Mini Torii is a single ended pentode (SEP) amplifier that was designed to be the worlds most exotic desktop amplifier.  It's small size and extra gain make it ideal for desktop applications.  Because it has more gain than our other amplifiers, it can be driven by something as weak as an iPod or smartphone and come of with surprising dynamics.  This amp is also very at home in the listening room, but is more complicated due to the larger number of tubes, and does not feature nice meters.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/15/17 at 18:18:52

To start with, a pc with compressed iTunes AAC files and some flac files. Also Streaming Pandora and maybe tidal next year. Also a dragonfly red dac.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/16/17 at 21:25:11

The Mini is made for your situation

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/20/17 at 16:50:37

An interesting note is that when Steve wrote on the website about testing the traps, he hooked them up to a Rachel. I'm sure he's played them on a MT also.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/20/17 at 17:20:08

Heck, I've moved to a Peachtree Grand Integrated Z1 as the amp for my second system and have used the Traps with that 400 watt amp. Sounded great. Though I prefer the sound of a pair of bookshelf Peachtree Audio speakers in that system. . . they need a lot more power than the Traps and when you give it to them they have better bass and a silkier treble.

I guess my point is that the Traps will probably sound really good with a number of amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/17 at 20:05:14

Yes, I agree. I was posting really just for the sake of conversation as the Traps will be way better than what I'm listening to now. I think there are many good desktop speakers out there, and a lot of them are less expensive than the traps but I'm feeling a bit loyal to the the dec/TPA system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/04/18 at 13:09:43

I've discovered two truths for my usage about the Traps and amps. . . .

If you are going to use them as part of a real desktop system the smaller amps are excellent. Great imaging and dynamics.

If you want to use them as a bedroom or office speaker apart from the near field listening situation, feed them POWER. Because I switched to the Taboo Mk IV for my main listening, my Torii Mk III is now powering my Traps and man this is a KILLER combination that fills my entire upstairs and with the tone controls I can dial in some really vibrant sound. I added the CSP2+ so that I can use headphones in the system and it's even more awesome. For non-hyper-critical listening these components make for a very enjoyable system using my Denon flagship universal player which has a nice slightly warm but detailed sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/18 at 19:50:57

Thanks Lon,.. After I pay off my truck towards the end of the year, I'll have a decision to make. I'm either going to pony up for a pair of HR1's to replace my Klipsch KG4's or go with a Decware amp for my lab system. I'm leaning towards the HR1's. Cheers.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/18/19 at 18:27:35

For what it's worth, I actually went with a SE84UFO2 with the anniversary mods  and type II beeswax caps for my work amp. Since I'm listening at a near field distance, the power should be fine AND, when I send in the Torii for the mods, I'll have a decent amp to drive my home system!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/04/19 at 19:21:42

The SE84UFO2 will be fine. I use one in a small cabin which is more than desktop but I'm still close and it will go louder than I ever use them. All most always if not always 9:00 is plenty of gain.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print