Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 09:27:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XLR Cable recommendations (Read 8194 times)
fred
Verified Member

XLR Cable recommendations
12/08/17 at 19:25:48

Folks,

I am wondering what cable, as a starting point would you recommend to connect my Oppe UDP-205 to the ZBIT, budget somewhere around $300

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: XLR Cable recommendations
Reply #1 - 12/08/17 at 19:42:21

I use DH Labs Air Matrix (1m) which sells for $295 brand new.

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/09/17 at 19:22:47

Thank you!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 12/09/17 at 21:09:18

it has been my experience, that the "design" of balanced cables has less impact on "their sound" than single-ended RCA cables.  Any solidly made XLR sounds about the same as any other IME - not so with single-ended RCA cables.  The recording industry standard is Mogami microphone cable... which you will find "inside" some Decware components.  Canare has a similar cable.  You can buy preassembled cables from HAVE, Inc. made with Canare or Mogami wire and Neutrik XLR connectors --> http://store.haveinc.com/default.aspx
BlueJeans also uses Canare wire in their balanced cables.
In fact BlueJeans has a pretty good basic explanation of balanced .vs. unbalanced cables/circuits here --> http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/balanced.htm
I have tried more brands of "boutique" XLR cables over the last 35 years than I can enumerate, and still own several different brands.  I hear little to no difference between any of them on any of the numerous components I've used them with - single-ended RCA cables is an entirely different story.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/09/17 at 21:15:35

I'll just say. . . I disagree. . .and hear differences between XLR cables clearly with the ZTPRE and ZBIT. I've gone up the chain on VooDoo Cable balanced cables and can recommend them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/17 at 18:09:21

Thank you guys

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #6 - 12/12/17 at 03:11:28

many "cables" are simply passive tone controls and well established measurement methods can explain why they "sound" like they do. Various cables may sound "different" and you might like what they are doing to the signal passing thru them - but it's still an "alteration" of the original signal presented at the source.  To each his own - I choose to spend my $$ on as accurate "wire" as I can find, that is based on solid electrical engineering principles.  And even better if the manufacturer actually publishes the given cables performance - darn few do.  Save the difference and spend it on better components.  
I ask you; how much sense does it make to buy "wire" that costs more than the components its connecting?  
I would merely recommend that a person "start" with good, solid, well engineered interconnects and speaker wire.  Then after you are reasonably satisfied with your components and the sound you have, then experiment with boutique cables.
Don't go out and buy a $1,000 pair of interconnects based on the "review of the month" or because Joe Schmoe claims they wax his pole.  Listen with your own ears, with your own equipment, in your own room and decide for "yourself". Hearing is a "perception" - and it's an individual perception at that.  If you think you hear something - then you do.

And this is all I'm going to say on this topic - nothing starts a flaming war faster than us audiofools debating "the sound" of wire.  And it just doesn't really matter, except to each "individual".  I'm just trying to save you a lot of lost $$ and frustration.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/12/17 at 12:40:49

Well, I'm agreeing to disagree, though our disagreement is not too wide, as I also say use your own ears and not reviews or testimonials. I hear significant differences between wire and though the pricing of wire is CRAZY I have chosen the wire I have because of what it does for my system, regardless of price.

I've gone systematically up the product line of one brand of wire that I find has great synergy with my system. As I worked my way up I lived with the models for quite a block of time and only moved forward if there was a significant difference. There was. The differences were important enough for me to pull the lever and get the best of the cables for my system. For some the differences may NOT be significant, but I'm not them. In the case of my ZBIT and ZROCK2 the wire connecting cost about the same as the component, but worth it for the transparency and how it maximizes the sound for these components. For my other components the wiring (same top tier whether single-ended or balanced) is considerably less than the cost of the components.

I would neither tell persons to or not to spend money on wire. But I would encourage anyone to experiment for themselves and revisit the experiment as the system evolves. (I certainly wouldn't have connected these cables to my earlier system). With an outfit like the Cable Company using the wise option of a "lending library" it's possible to do this with little cost. And there are other ways--dealers and friends lend cables on occasion.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/12/17 at 14:03:48

I checked out suggestions here on the forum and they all seemed solid.  Then I read about various DIY formulas and ended up buying Mogami microphone wire and connectors on ebay and built my own.  They sound fine to me.  I would like to compare them to some more expensive ones that Raven has to see if I hear a difference.

I just went the DIY route due to budget.  Also, I tend to step into things and then experiment from there to see if the more expensive is worth the investment.

So if you are not into DIY, a good way to experiment inexpensively is to look for cables made with the Mogami wire.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 12/17/17 at 17:25:42

I've used Mogami based cabling. It's good. . . it's an okay "standard" perhaps. . . but in my systems I've found it uninvolving and uninviting if that's a way of saying it. I wish I liked it more, I'd save a lot of money!

All our rooms and systems are different. Experiment and experience. . . that's my methodology.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print