Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:01:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audioquest Dragonfly Red (Read 8064 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Audioquest Dragonfly Red
11/29/17 at 04:24:45

Ok, so I bit for $200 and got this Dragonfly. Figured that I might want to get the deluxe model, so as not to have buyers remorse. I haven't really horse raced this DAC against the other hi-fi DAC that I have. In fact, I only got it because it can do MQA streaming. No, I really haven't even had much of a chance for that either. So, here is what I DO know. I like this  unit feeding my headphone amp. It couldn't be simpler to use, and absolutely no complaints about the sound. I am getting a short cable to extend the DAC away from the USB port though. Just seems like a target hanging out there to get snapped off. They say I should get the Jitter Bug filter to use with it, but I'm not going that far. The computer that LR practically gave to me is not running a bunch of programs to begin with, and so this is more than I bargained for as it is.

Oh yah, as an amp, it does very well with my Hi-Fi Man HD400S, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it will drive the ORI phones to their best. It gets them started, but no, no, there are better options out there.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Re: Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Reply #1 - 12/18/17 at 16:22:53

I ordered one too! It's nice and small so I can take it with me to motels and rental cabins. I'll run it initially with an older sony receiver until I can save my pennies for something better. Hopefully my traps will arrive in early January to pair it with.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 12/18/17 at 18:35:13

So far, I like the convenience that it provides with my computer. The sound is just fine for most applications.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 02/10/18 at 07:30:28

Strictly due to curiosity, I am tempted to see if the 'JitterBug' from AudioQuest is all that it is advertised to be, i.e. when used with the Dragonfly Red. Is jitter even a concern when using FLAC files, or only when using a CD player? Seems that file downloads eliminate this problem to begin with, and that may be one reason that I like them so much.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 02/16/18 at 16:37:05

Jitter is your #1 concern with digital IMHO - doesn't matter if it's streamed, CD, or files in any format stored on a drive.

Jitter can come from electronic noise, interfaces, cabling, and probably other places I'm not thinking of right now.

We need to remember that digital audio processed by the DAC has a timing to it - it's not just data packets like information being sent to a printer (which could be resent over and over till it gets it right). Digital music has a timing, and jitter is when those on and off bits are a little out of timing.

When you get Jitter reduced, and the timing is more *on*, you'll find better PRaT, and spatial cues.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 02/17/18 at 05:39:14

Thanks LR for keeping me up to date. One way or another, I am getting a bit more into digital here and there. I am learning that it reminds me of the old days when you had to separate the wheat from the chaff in audio.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 02/21/18 at 16:31:33

It will get better. Steve was telling me last night how happy he is with Tidal. The combination of Tidal and the 25th Anv prototype has him forgetting he's listening to digital.

So as the smart guys work out the details and make it more automated, you'll probably find you'll need to know less, and just continue sifting the wheat for the chaff in sound quality.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 02/21/18 at 17:54:52

This is better than it looks. Step one, connect devices together. Step two, add blue tack in the gaps. Step three, very neatly wrap devices in aluminum tape, to add rigidity, support, and maybe even a shield. Step four, cover with heat shrink to ensure constant contact of tape. Step five, dip entire contents into 'instant tool grip' TWICE to make a better looking color coating. Yes, I am insane, but no, I will not lose parts involved, nor will connections be remade a hundred times.
Oh yah, the sound? Just as they promised, more involving. I actually like the sound through the HD400S headphones more than before. And yes, I do hate being cheerleader for every little device out there. The exception is when I actually DO hear an improvement. Played through LR's laptop, with Foobar, I just can't complain. I will actually buy another one of these to use with the other DAC that I have. It gets really old to me to switch back and forth making connections. This way, whats done is done.

P2210001.JPG

IP Logged
goodtune
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/18 at 19:54:12

thanks for post. Ill probably go down this road

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print