Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:03:36 

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 86362 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier
Reply #800 - 06/22/19 at 04:43:41

UPDATE:  Listening to the Anniversary amp/preamp with the mystery speakers on old tried and true reference material from GRP, and this speaker design has completely re-arranged my head about the importance of projection.  All my ideas about skinny little towers that imaged like they weren't even there are getting shaken to the core right now.  It's a double whammy, because the they are letting me hear how good the Anniversary gear actually is, which I thought I knew but turns out I didn't.

I can see absolutely nothing will get done this weekend!!!  It's so insane to hear music like this on anything, let alone two watts...  unbelievable.  Since it's probably going to be awhile before I can say anything specific about the speakers anyone who wants to book a listening appointment would get forced into a situation where they would have to hear them and then be sworn to secrecy possibly all summer.

This is also my introduction to a new hi-end speaker manufacture, small like ourselves, who I have no idea at this point what kind of stability is there.  So far all the right signs are in place for a solid company with good ethics and great products, so I am having conversations with them to see what kind of availability might be had for this driver in the future.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #801 - 06/22/19 at 05:34:00

As I listen tonight these speakers and amplifier make crystal clear the observation I've had in the studio when listening to 16 bit vs. 24 bit.  The 24 bit is smoother more correct.  The 16 bit has more slam and is sharper.  God bless 24 bit.

So as the evening continues... listening to "City of Stars" by Ryan Gosling.  At the ending I heard the female vocal lay down on the floor, stage right, and sing up to the male vocal who possibly had her in his arms.   This is pretty hardcore imaging when you see and feel that happen right in front of you as though you were setting in front of a 200 inch movie screen.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #802 - 06/22/19 at 06:11:35

For those who stream...  I don't know about you, but I save my favorite tracks and then I create playlists of those tracks, usually always the first one being a demo playlist designed to wow the listener.  The process is simple, you listen to all of your favorited tracks and then pick the ones that are just too good to be true, stuff that is simply over the top.  That way when you want to blow someones socks off in a short amount of time you get the secret playlist out and let it rip.

Well I found myself making a new playlist tonight for the secret speakers, version 2, and after several hours have realized that almost everything I listened to I added to the playlist.  Normally with all other speakers, the items added to a demo list are about 1 in 4 or 5.  That should tell you something... that I'm not getting much sleep.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #803 - 06/22/19 at 20:10:59

Steve, these updates are really fun to follow. You keep it very exciting. I can't wait to read and learn more.

Have you or would you consider comparing the ZTPRE with anniversary mods to the new CSP3 anniversary edition? I'm really curious as to the differences between them and it sounds like these mystery speakers and the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier are up to the task.

Thanks,
Jim

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #804 - 06/23/19 at 21:53:45

So much fun!
I love when you get a new speaker design.

And this anniversary amp must be the best!

Brian

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #805 - 06/27/19 at 20:37:34

25th Amp is beautiful. 10 months in and I have stopped rolling tubes and tweaking...no need! My 4 yr old Ortofon 2m black needed replacing. So, instead of a retip I decided to go with something better...Soundsmith Zephyr MKIIIes.
Wow, only 10 hours on it and it is worth the price of admission. Plus I know it has not quite settled in yet.
I truly believe that, no matter the cost of the source, the 25th will keep up with anything I throw at it.  From what I am reading of Steve's posts above this more than holds true. It was a bit nerve wracking making the 25th purchase $$, but it was the right choice.
I need to get to Decfest one of these years just to A / B against my room. Wondering...."Can it get better" ....I'm sure the answer is yes!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #806 - 06/28/19 at 01:30:59

Hey Ace, I'm curious about your new cartridge. What would you say is different compared to the 2m black? Is the output roughly the same? Or do you need a step up? I mainly ask because I love the 2m black and wonder what the "upgrade" would get me?

Sorry I know this isn't directly 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier content.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #807 - 06/28/19 at 01:37:44

Quote:
Steve, these updates are really fun to follow. You keep it very exciting. I can't wait to read and learn more.

Have you or would you consider comparing the ZTPRE with anniversary mods to the new CSP3 anniversary edition? I'm really curious as to the differences between them and it sounds like these mystery speakers and the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier are up to the task.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Comparing the ZTPRE to the CSP3 is difficult because one is balanced and one is not. That means to do a direct A/B the ZTPRE has to be fitted with transformer-coupled RCA inputs and then it's output has to be run into a ZBIT. That means a transformer, the preamp circuit, and a transformer being compared to just a preamp circuit with no transformers.

So let's talk about the preamp circuit itself. The ZTPRE is exactly two CSP3 circuits instead of one, and it has solid state regulation instead of tube.  That's going to make the fundamental signatures between the ZTPRE and CSP3 the same. The solid state rectification, large caps, and torroidal power supplies in the ZTPRE make it more neutral than the CSP3 with probably most tube compliments.  

I can tell you that I use the ZTPRE fitted with the transformer-coupled RCA inputs just to make my RCA output sources sound better, and it does big time. I could probably spend 3 times as much on a source component and it wouldn't sound better. Transformers like these add dimensionality and a nice organic shimmer to the top end. My advise is don't listen to them unless you can afford to buy them because once you hear them you are wrecked. For example, when I remove the ZTPRE and run my balanced sources directly to the ZBIT it is seldom as good. Same is true if I run the RCA sources directly into the amplifier.  My ZTPRE has just become part of my digital front end, as well as the front end for two of my tape machines.  

As for the CSP325, it does the same thing as the CSP3, in that it makes music more juicy and beautiful to listen to with greatly improved dynamics, imaging and tone. All without getting syrupy or veiled in any way. The Anniversary mods and or the CSP325 does the same thing but with greater resolution so that it doesn't detract from the resolution of the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier.  Of course I'm sure it would sound wonderful with any amplifier be it have the same resolution or not.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #808 - 06/28/19 at 01:55:15

Thanks Steve. I have a ZTPRE on order with the transformer-coupled RCA inputs, and anniversary mods. I wondered for a half a second if I should change my order to the CSP3 anniversary, but after your response I'm sticking with it. Sounds like it will be glorious.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #809 - 06/28/19 at 03:54:43

Steve said: "Transformers like these add dimensionality and a nice organic shimmer to the top end."

Steve, this makes me wonder if one of your power amps might benefit from Transformer coupling instead of RC coupling of it's driver stage to the output stage.  Have you an interest in trying Transformer coupling?

Brian

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #810 - 06/28/19 at 16:36:22

Pursuit...sent you PM.  Will post in ZP3 forum when I've had more time with the Zep. So far I am very happy with it.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #811 - 06/28/19 at 19:00:44

Quote:
Steve said: "Transformers like these add dimensionality and a nice organic shimmer to the top end."

Steve, this makes me wonder if one of your power amps might benefit from Transformer coupling instead of RC coupling of it's driver stage to the output stage.  Have you an interest in trying Transformer coupling?

Certainly I have, yes.  It only adds $700 per stage and would require a redesigned chassis, power supply, and overall voicing to make it right if you used it in place of standard capacitive coupling.  By comparison a type II beeswax cap cost ten times less and are 90% as good.  Simply an issue of diminishing returns.  And that said, it would have little effect on the voicing of the amplifier's input signal since it is part of the amp itself.  We use the transformers to balance impedances between components and manipulate gain which is where the big boost to sound quality comes from.  This is what the ZBIT is for and why we use it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #812 - 06/28/19 at 21:37:42

I'm wondering if such an amplifier would be a success?
Everytime that Decware ups the ante on amps, (25th anniversary ect.) it seems that they sell pretty well.
How much would customers be willing to spend? I'm thinking maybe $5K??
It seems that there is a whole industry focused on chasing that last 10%, it might be worth a little thought.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #813 - 06/29/19 at 03:31:47

I thank you Steve for the reply.

"We use the transformers to balance impedances between components and manipulate gain which is where the big boost to sound quality comes from."

Not doing those things, it does seem that an interstage transformer would be of less value to the sound.  
It is always good to get education from you.
Thanks, Brian

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #814 - 06/09/20 at 14:09:25

I’m still wading through this topic trying to understand the 25th anniversary mods that will be done on the base model Zen I’ve ordered. I’m only reading Steve’s posts so I have a chance to finish by the time my amp arrives, and after checking out some of his music suggestions I have a humble suggestion of my own: “Chocolate Chip Trip” off TOOL’s Fear Inoculum album. Just analog synths and drums, performed by Danny Carey in one take. That might have to be my first test track when I finally get my amp.

Than

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #815 - 06/09/20 at 17:45:28

Originally my thought was not to add anniversary mods to the shopping cart on the SE84UFO because it was the base model and many people who are not on a tight budget and would be in a position to add the mods, get the SE84UFO2.  In hindsight this was pretty stupid, so the anniversary mod was added to the shopping cart about a month ago.

The anniversary mod for the SE84UFO is called the 'beeswax bypass cap mod'.  It consists of adding beeswax caps (that match the signal caps) to the plates of the audio tubes. This in turn speeds up the power supply at higher frequencies which translates to better resolution at all frequencies.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #816 - 09/19/20 at 02:12:22

I’m back!  (This is what the SE84UFO25 said to me today after months of isolation)

After a long absence posting about the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier, and the Zen Master Series Loudspeakers for that matter, tonight I brought both together for the first time in what seems like months.

I have been listening to other stuff all summer, including a lot of time outside the sweet spot listening to Tiny Radials while I work.

I like to move in waves like this, where I focus on something for a period of time and then go back to where I was before and see if the before experience changes any.

So it started rather by accident, as is usually the case.

An SE84UFO25 came in for repair, with the symptom that it hummed and could be heard in the listening chair on efficient speakers…

I tubed it up and put it on the QC bench to measure the noise and hum.  As I kinda expected, it was well within spec.

So just to be absolutely certain I listened to it in my LCD2 planar headphones calibrated to simulate 94dB speakers with your ear 1 inch away.  No hum.

Then I used my ZMF Eikons, calibrated to simulate a 110dB speaker which is the absolute worse case scenerio. No hum issues.

Then I took it in my listening room and hooked it to my Zen Master Series baffles which are 100dB.  Silent.  OK, well, customer isn’t going to like hearing that… may as well listen to it for awhile and see how it sounds.

This is where the trouble began… I say that jokingly because the sound was SO INCREDIBLY LUCID that I was hopelessly distracted to the point where I couldn’t focus on work.

Then I remembered this particular amplifier had VCAPs in it, and I believe my personal one has the Jupiter Beeswax, so then I panicked…

Because enough time has passed, or perhaps the planetary alignment, but holy crap the sound is so good, it’s like the sound you fantasied about in the stereo of your dreams. Or maybe it’s the VCAPS, holy crap how did I miss this!  I just don’t remember it sounding this good!

OK, REASON…. Let’s put my amp in that has the Jupiters and just see if it the caps…

Well, 30 minutes later… no it’s not the caps.

It’s just this magical amplifier paired with these speakers that just gives me goosebumps and has me shaking my head so much my neck popped!

God, I wish everyone who was reading this could hear what I am hearing right now!  It’s just so right on so many levels, you know all the typical ones, and then a whole plethora of deeper ones.

If nothing else comes from this pandemic, at least we all get to spend more time listening to music, and for me it like a gift from heaven when it happens, which is often.  I say it that way because only yesterday everything sounded like crap to me.  It was one of those days… will never know if it really did sound like crap or if it was in my head.  

I guess that is what blows my mind and provoked this post… the giant contrast between days like yesterday and then nights like tonight, and btw, I heard this one coming as it snuck up on my day starting around 1:00 P.M.  It’s now around 8:00.  Also an interesting side note, my work related stress level continued to climb from about 1:30 to 4:30 and this is actually when I noticed the lucidity begin to develop in the sound.  

I think the lesson here is that we have an amplifier that has reached a level so high that it makes you feel like you’re hearing it for the first time every time you listen to it.  And no-one has listened to it more than I have, so what can I say.  Consider getting one before the prices go up from the trickle down effect of this pandemic on  our supply chains.[/color]

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #817 - 09/19/20 at 05:07:12

You have a wonderful life!

Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #818 - 09/19/20 at 16:18:52

What was the hum problem? House wiring? Or maybe tube-related?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #819 - 09/19/20 at 19:28:15

Quote:
Then I remembered this particular amplifier had VCAPs in it, and I believe my personal one has the Jupiter Beeswax, so then I panicked…

Because enough time has passed, or perhaps the planetary alignment, but holy crap the sound is so good, it’s like the sound you fantasied about in the stereo of your dreams. Or maybe it’s the VCAPS, holy crap how did I miss this!  I just don’t remember it sounding this good!

Steve...now that you had a chance to compare a seasoned VCAP 25th with your personal Jupiter cap 25th, can you give a better description of the comparison between the two?  Some have said that the VCAP can be very clinical and almost too revealing in sub par recordings.  

Now that your have lit a fire under my arse.... I am hoping to place an order when you run the annual Decfest discount.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #820 - 09/28/20 at 03:49:26

Steve posted:
Reply #87 - 07 Jan 2018
"Thank GOD I haven't hooked up the EGGS, because this is making tower speakers image better than the EGGS did, which we all know is impossible."

Steve, did you ever connect the Anniversary amp to the Egg speakers?

Brian

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #821 - 10/31/20 at 23:18:38

Great thread, fun to read!

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #822 - 11/17/20 at 19:37:52

My 25th Amp is a few days from landing on the build bench. My amp order shows as "stock unit" on the build/wait list. Other 25th amps show as "custom options requested" are there options that don't show in the cart? I don't want to miss an upgrade etc. and have to send it back in later. What custom options should I consider?  Many thanks for the input.

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #823 - 11/19/20 at 17:34:09

The only options are VCAPS and glass resistors.  Glass resistors are still in stock and being installed in every UFO25.  VCAPS are not considered an upgrade, just a different signature.

WWW   IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #824 - 11/19/20 at 18:03:49

Steve, Thanks for clearing it up for me. Looking forward to the new Amp, I should have my ZF15M's finished by the time I receive the Amp and the journey can begin!

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #825 - 01/02/21 at 13:37:55

Hi folks,
On my Anniversary Amp I’m thinking about replace the input tubes with rsd ecc83 tubes. Might anyone know if this would be ok? I don’t want to use a tube that could blow up in the amp.

Thanks folks.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #826 - 01/02/21 at 16:41:05

Using a 12AX7 in a Zen makes no sense. Zero sense.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #827 - 01/02/21 at 17:15:22

Thanks for the response, but please tell me why it wouldn’t make sense? My goal is to get the best sound for blues music out of this amp. The stock tubes that came with the anp are good but Im a firm believer of always being room for improvement.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #828 - 01/02/21 at 17:28:06

It doesn't make sense because the amp is not designed around that tube type. You can use many other tube types besides the stock ones, but not a 12AX7 type. Although if you enter into the world of adapters/converters for the tubes you may be able to. . . but it's best to experiment with tube types you don't need adapters or converters for first.

You can experiment with 6DJ8, 6N5P, 6N6P, 6922, ECC189 and others. . . there is a lot of information on compatible tube types and some impressions of their sounds in this forum if you look around.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #829 - 01/02/21 at 19:50:56

Thank you. Im going to have to find the threads. Apparently I don’t know much about tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #830 - 01/02/21 at 20:03:43

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ovs-audio
Verified Member

Reply #831 - 03/06/21 at 16:50:37

Is there a decware zen 25th anniversary scheme somewhere on this forum ?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #832 - 03/06/21 at 16:56:29

No, I don't believe one has been released into the wild. (Which makes sense to me).

IP Logged
rickmcinnis
Verified Member

Reply #833 - 05/16/21 at 19:00:07

This amplifier is very intriguing.

I have been aware of DECWARE for years but was a transistor guy and think I need to hear something different.

I had read Romy (the cat) extol the virtues of the VR tubes in his phono stage and figure you must be on to something here.  AS if you weren't before ...

The one thing that confuses me is that I assume you are putting 150 volts on the plates of the SV83, (2 OA3s in series) which seems low compared to what has been seen in the past - as if that makes any difference, but it does make one wonder.  I assume there is only one way to use these things - are you doing something different from the application notes?

On the other hand, and I know you say one can use lower voltage versions than the 150 volts  OD3, which seems to the baseline version; and this seems high for a 7DJ8.  (I have some Telefunkens and hope these are as good as their lower voltage counterpart)  Used to be a tube guy a few decades ago.

I do plan on ordering one of these and using it as a mono amplifier and driving it from a balanced source.  Just one of those questions I had to ask.

Want to make sure I like what I hear with one before going all the way.

Thanks and take care,

IP Logged
SDMF_Mark
Verified Member

Reply #834 - 12/03/21 at 23:28:26

Damn, I just read this whole thread and now I want one bad!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #835 - 12/04/21 at 01:15:39

Damn, I just read this whole thread and now I want one bad!

Well, I've read this thread about 20 times in the last 18 months and just ordered 2 last week. You've been warned.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #836 - 08/26/23 at 07:36:54

I’ve read this thread now from beginning to end. I am honored to have had this amp in my room. This exact amp!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #837 - 08/29/23 at 17:44:14

This amplifier has had me pondering much of the last 40 plus years with tube gear and audio. My lord Steve. I'll find words later and definatly try to put them in some orderly fashion for anyone who cares to read someday soon.

Thank you

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #838 - 09/01/23 at 05:39:54

A few observations. I've loved photography and audio since I was child. At age 8 I received my first camera from my father. At that same age of 8 I received his audio gear and crates of records. I have pursued both to my fullest ever since. I became a published photographer, working for the likes of Gannett and others over the years. Ever since early adulthood I have also been chasing "THE" sound and after 45 years I have heard things in the last few weeks that I could not have imagined possible. The finest minute details, pinpoint imagining, authoritative and unbloated weight/slam, with even more damn layers than I have found in songs I have heard 10,000 times. Not that It was not there and I hadn't heard them before. I just never heard them or any song the same since. For now I will tie these two things together so I can go back and sit down to continue listening.

This 25th Anniversary Zen is like shooting photos for 40 plus years then after chasing those perfect photos you come across the sharpest copy of your favorite lens ever. It's sharp from corner to corner with zero barrel distortion, The colors are true and vivid but not oversaturated. The combo of your favorite camera body now mated with the best glass you've ever had makes for the perfect tools. The end result is a joyful photo that doesn't need much or any photoshop or post editing.

I enjoy several other amp like the Rachel, Taboo, and Mini Torii and if those were all I had then anyone would be nice, but this amp is like having the finest manual focusing lens possible allowing all the beautiful detail to just pop right out into the room from all angles as a great photo pops right off a metal print. The ability to "tune" the shit out of this amp is just incredible. After much adjusting of the Zbit (another invaluable tool) I've settled in after a few weeks now with the most amazing combo of Power, input, rectifier, and VR tubes, and I could tell the differences as each were auditioned more than any other amp I have ever owned (not uncommon in Decware amps I have found over almost 18 years). Side to side huge almost surround two channel stereo with really good imaging was always there. This just took all of that and gave me unreal front to back stage that is deeper and jumps out at you more than I ever thought possible. Good or bad at the very least shitty recordings sound the best they ever probably will. The great recordings just got mind blown great, and the world just falls away when the music starts. It's audio nirvana.

Thank you Steve

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #839 - 09/01/23 at 15:04:17

Quote:
Posted by: charles hidalgo      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:39:54

A few observations. I've loved photography and audio since I was child...

So have I. I really enjoyed your writeup and am looking forward to my UFO25s arriving at some point hopefully soon(ish). I had a pair of UFOs, and currently have a non-Decware 300B amp, both of which sound great, but I expect the '25s to take it to a whole new level.

I see you have 5R4WG rectifier, what other tubes are you using?

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #840 - 09/01/23 at 17:06:22

As of last night....
Rectifier 5R4WGA
Input 6N5P.
Power: 6n15n-eb
VR for power tubes: 0A3
VR for input tube: 0B3

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #841 - 09/03/23 at 03:19:27

I’ve also now read this thread from the beginning and wow…what a journey! Even though I didn’t know about Decware at the time, I felt I was re-living it with you guys.   It reminded me of the Steve’s enthusiasm on the Sarah development thread  and I feel that Steve shared more demo tracks here (which I plan to listen to shortly) vs. on the Sarah thread (or it just maybe that I haven’t revisited the earlier pages of the Sarah thread in a while).

Did we ever get to have Steve admit, which one is his favorite?

P.s. a couple of folks who were regulars on this thread, I haven’t seen much (or at all) over the past two years including Stone of Tone, Jeff of Arabica, or Ace-Tone.  Hope everyone is enjoying their respective amplifiers!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #842 - 09/05/23 at 16:11:42

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: 09/02/23 at 19:19:27

...Did we ever get to have Steve admit, which one is his favorite?

Sounds like a question for the Decfest "Fireside Chat."

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #843 - 09/06/23 at 19:57:29

Haha—I had the same notion immediately after posting this question! Front runner question, this.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #844 - 09/13/23 at 10:36:45

Late night critical listening session…

With the best ears in the house.

This amp is truly a thing of beauty, both visually and audibly. Some nights it’s harder to pull the plug than others, when the music is sounding so incredibly good! Who am I kidding… Most nights are.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #845 - 09/18/23 at 00:21:32

Gorgeous shot of the amp!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print