Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:17:58 

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 94406 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier
Reply #650 - 06/12/18 at 23:24:00

Lon, I'm waffling between doing the ZMA mod second (next year) and get the SE84UFO3/25th Mono-blocks this Fall?!

Decisions ~ decisions!   Cheesy

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #651 - 06/13/18 at 00:59:06

Come on Stone, stop messing around and just order a pair of 25s!   Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #652 - 06/13/18 at 01:22:19

Ok RLB, let me try to simplify things here for you.  The statement of concern can clearly be interpreted two ways and it has nothing to do with a misstatement on Steve's part.  It is merely language semantics.  

Two Ways of Interpretation:
1) It was stated to be interpreted as you have.
2) Or, it was stated to mean that the driver must go down to NO LESS than 40Hz but it can go DOWN MORE than 40Hz which could be 30Hz, 25Hz, 22Hz, etc. and be fine. The point I am trying to make is DOWN can mean two things in this statement, and both can be CORRECT.  First off DOWN can refer to the overall amount of drop in frequency rather than the frequency value itself.  In other words the driver has to have the ability to drop low in frequency, where it is dropping to no less than 40Hz but can drop lower (more) to 30Hz, etc.  

It is the English language and it is quite common for statements to have multiple interpretations.  How do you think lawyers rack up billable hours?   All matters of interpretation.  

If you were offended by my statement, that is on you.  There was no disrespect intended.  Please remember, this is a public forum.  If feedback is not desired, there is a feature called a PM ("Private Message") which means you can ask questions privately, directly to "The Man" and not be bothered by anyone offering feedback.  As long as you post publicly, you will have to accept the fact that other people may, and often do, reply.  And for the most part, users get that, and are perfectly OK with it - as they should be.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #653 - 06/13/18 at 01:37:50

Since Steve's "statement" doesn't make sense (to me anyway) I just figured he typed it wrong.  

As for me, I like the peanut gallery!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #654 - 06/13/18 at 02:41:51

A poorly phrased statement for sure... plus I actually was thinking 30 Hz when I wrote 40. My concern is that it would be all too easy to have an open baffle speaker that only went down to 80Hz and have an open baffle subwoofer that barely hits 50Hz and hear a full sound, but the bottom octave would still be missing.  Remember the context of this was to supplement the ZOB with an open baffle style sub, and this came just after my description of how the speakers sounded with subs that go down to 22 Hz.

The reason I was musing about the bass in the first place is because it is rare for most people to get to hear a Zen Triode Amplifier on speakers that go down to 22 Hz and in a room that is designed to handle those low frequencies.  This is when you really can appreciate the bass performance of these 2 watt amplifiers.  I have enjoyed it for years, but now after hearing it on the new Anniversary amps it took things to a new level, a level I would love for the rest of you to hear.  You won't hear it if the sub only goes down to 40Hz.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #655 - 06/13/18 at 03:34:16

Well, in all fairness Steve, not everyone was confused by your statement.     Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #656 - 06/13/18 at 14:10:05

Hear, hear Jeff.

Archie, I wish, .....my budget is gummed up till the Fall. I will need to muddle through with my Shunyata/ZDSD, ZMA, Kimber Select & Adagio's.   Cool

I might wait and visit Decware in January or February (in between a snow storm window, colds no bother).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #657 - 06/13/18 at 14:37:42

....and to Steve's mention of fast output tubes (reply #645). The midrange and speed of the 6P's got me thinking. Glad I got the KT88 Gold Lions Cryo antithesis of the 6P's. However, I'm going the route of 7027A's and these others for the summer.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1414696035/382#382
reply #378 on down.
Tung-Sol 5881 & T-Sol 7581A, too.

Yes, new production ~ but should be pretty damn good. My budget will allow this indulgence for the summer.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #658 - 06/14/18 at 05:56:46

UPDATE:  In the ongoing saga of the Anniversary amp I am making an effort to document pertinent things and tonight I am listening to the Anniversary amp by not listening to it.  That means I am listening to something else and comparing that to my new reference which has become the UFO25's.  Hearing what is missing in one amp is a great way to hear what is not missing in another.  I have ruined myself!  Haha... I've always said ignorance is bliss in this hobby and the UFO25 raised the bar farther even than I realized.  I am discovering just how far by comparing it with other amplifiers in my circle.

There is a disturbing aspect to it, but boy are good things going to come out of it, you can be sure of that!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #659 - 06/14/18 at 16:45:08

I can only imagine Steve. . .when I listen to my other system now I don't freak out too much because it's so different (a Torii Mk II driving a pair of Traps) as it's so different in sound and feel (Torii driving Traps is very different from Monoblocks driving HR-1s) and I enjoy the sound and don't listen critically as I do with the main system. If I were to really listen critically and for a length of time. . . I know I would be very disappointed! And it's odd to be disappointed with that sound, the Traps driven by the Torii Mk II is a very good combination. . . .

You really have set yourself a new standard to reach for with the other amps. Best of luck! Thank you for all the hard work you have put in so far that have resulted with my wonderful pair of amps and the CSP3-25 on the way that I know will be wonderful!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #660 - 06/14/18 at 18:17:37

Road trip to the mother ship!

...by appointment.
(When Steve has the enhancement done to his satisfaction/ZMA).

UFO25th     Single
UFO25th     Strapped Pair
UFO3/25th  Mono's
ZMA           Enhanced
CSP3/25th
DNA2's!

........bring Credit Card    8-)

Pack and carry:

(Modified) Acoustic Zen Adagio's
ZMA (in Pelican case~leaving Amp with Steve if I'm doing the enhancement/ship back)
Kimber KS6063 Speaker Cable
Kimber KS1030 IC
My additional KS1030 IC (for CSP3/25th audition)
Sony transport
Illuminati D-60
Shunyata digital p-cord for his ZDSD on tap
XLO p-cord I use to ZMA
My favorite full tube compliment(s).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #661 - 06/15/18 at 04:00:57

I remember that Mini Torii uses VR tubes, but I don't remember in what way. Is the Mini Torii already fitted with the Anniversary features from it's beginning?  

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #662 - 06/15/18 at 11:01:30

Like the Torii Mk III and Mk IV the Mini-Torii uses OA3 and OC2 voltage regulation tubes to clean the power of the output and input tubes, but it does not have the further power supply upgrades/bypasses that are incorporated in the 25th Anniversary changes made to models so far.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #663 - 06/15/18 at 11:31:11

As Steve said; I placed the speakers in a wide arc about 3 feet from the front wall.  The toe-in was such that the intersecting X lands just in front of the listening chair.   This is pretty much where I placed them at last years DECFEST for my “2-watt demo” that i like to do every year.  

I had mine placed exactly as this., and my sound stage is wider, deeper and sharper.., without the speakers..! 😅😊

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #664 - 06/20/18 at 03:10:26

Today I let go of the prototype Anniversary amp (the red one) to my friend Joe from Arkansa who will probably post some pics of it when he gets it all set up.

The reason I mention this, is because he brought his own interconnects and speaker wires so he could see how they stack up against the DSR interconnects and the ZSTYX speaker cables. What it taught him and reminded me is that if you're going to own an Anniversary amp, you may as well plan on owning the cables too, because anything less is going to be a travesty.  

It was actually scary how bad one of the pair of interconnects tanked the sound.  Resolution gone.  Bass bloated and overly heavy.  No idea how it imaged, ran out of the room ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #665 - 06/24/18 at 01:10:28

Now that we're in production of the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier I have had to give up my build sample so it can be copied. The prototype I have sold, so I am now listening to other amps -- one at a time and seeing what develops in the way of mods. The first one I am starting with is the ZMA since it likely has the highest potential to sound like a UFO25.

Keep in mind I have listened to the UFO25 exclusively now since November which is more than enough time to rewire your brain to properly process all the nuances the amp has to offer.

For the first week I have been listening to the ZMA stock and now that my brain has been rewired, I simply lost the love affair I had with it. It's close, and maybe that's the problem. It's close enough that you want it to be the same and it's not. If it were completely different it would probably be a different story.  

I am making good progress with the ZMA modsso far.  Right now I feel like I've got it pinned down to the mat waiting for it so say "uncle"... and it's a stubborn bastard so this is going to take some time.  I presently have it more than half way from where it was to where it needs to go.

So this is a warning to all of you with one on the build sheet...  you will be ruined. Nothing else no matter what it is will likely sound as good ever again.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #666 - 06/24/18 at 12:54:15

Already there and I haven’t got my UFO25, yet!  Here’s why...

Sold and delivered my SE84UFO2, which by the way I absolutely loved, to a gent who stated “you’re spending that much per watt on the A-Amp???” Why?  Reply “I’m ruined!”  

Now after your last comment and his I got to thinking (and yes it did hurt).  What if all one had to do was throw money at the A-Amp to give it more watts to get the exact same sound?

Say one wanted 20 watts, simply throw $1,650.00 x 20 = $33,000.00 and you have a 20 watt amp that sounds exactly like the UFO25. So let’s take this a step further and say one wanted 40 watts, once again throw $1,650.00 x 40 = $66,000.00, OR, if one went the distance and wanted 100 watts that sounded exactly like the UFO25, once again... $1,650.00 x 100 = $165,000.00

Now I realize that things don’t work that way, BUT it does put an interesting perspective on on low power high efficiency and the applicable term, RUINED (add “Abslutely” to that).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #667 - 06/27/18 at 16:20:33

Wow, I counted 27 SE84UFO 25th Anniversary amps on the Build List!

IP Logged
Scott in mich
Verified Member

Reply #668 - 06/27/18 at 17:25:04

Even more impressive, if I'm reading the list correctly, there are 30. It seems some folks wanted two.

Guess I waited too long to order my regular UFO.

Sota Sapphire, Audiomods, Grado Green/8MZ, Antique Sound USA PP-1, Schiit Modi 2 multi, SE84UFO, Betsy Baffle, DSR IC's, Double Helix+
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #669 - 06/27/18 at 17:38:58

It's good news for Decware. The Anniversary series are going to be a success.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #670 - 06/27/18 at 23:14:07

Hey Scott in mich....not too late. I'd say wait time approx 8 weeks. Now as good a time as any! Or, wait for a used to come up on the forums? Either works.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #671 - 06/27/18 at 23:39:27

Quote:
Say one wanted 20 watts, simply throw $1,650.00 x 20 = $33,000.00 and you have a 20 watt amp that sounds exactly like the UFO25. So let’s take this a step further and say one wanted 40 watts, once again throw $1,650.00 x 40 = $66,000.00, OR, if one went the distance and wanted 100 watts that sounded exactly like the UFO25, once again... $1,650.00 x 100 = $165,000.00

At $1650 a watt you'll have the satisfaction of having the last word with any audiophile who goes on about how much his stereo cost and how many watts it is.  I can hear it now... The braggadocios audiophile; "Yea, my amp is 500 watts a channel and cost $100,000 so lets see you top that!"  You; "OK, that means your amp is $200 a watt.  My amp is $1650 a watt and sounds about 8 times better too." : )  The braggadocios audiophile; "Well, I have a lot more watts so that doesn't matter"...  You; "Yes, but if the first watt sucks, why continue?"

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Scott in mich
Verified Member

Reply #672 - 06/28/18 at 00:30:06

Hi Acetone,

Eight weeks would be great. I was thinking three to four months. I pulled the trigger on it Sunday.

Sota Sapphire, Audiomods, Grado Green/8MZ, Antique Sound USA PP-1, Schiit Modi 2 multi, SE84UFO, Betsy Baffle, DSR IC's, Double Helix+
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #673 - 06/28/18 at 01:15:38

..."and it's a stubborn bastard so this is going to take some time."

ZMA
ZMA
ZMA!

It will be worth the wait.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #674 - 06/28/18 at 03:49:48

UPDATE: 1st production model to ship out the door is presently built, QC'd and in the final listening evaluation.  

Currently it is playing some Donald Fagen, one of my all time favorites.  The sound is so correct.  It's really weird how easy it is to listen to.  Only a couple hours old and it already sounds better than all of its brothers and sisters...  these amps really are worth $1650 a watt.

I was going to post some pictures, but the bureaucratic nature of present day technology can't seem to get out of it's own way as if time grew on trees and none of us have anything else to firkin do...  when I can get my phone to talk to the computer at a usable speed I'll let you know.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #675 - 06/28/18 at 09:48:07

the 25th watts are out..!

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Havtorn
Verified Member

Reply #676 - 06/28/18 at 10:31:45

"Next I'm going to see what I can hear between the clear glass and the white glass.  I also found a juicy black glass resistor that I've yet to hear.  I'm sure they'll all be in the same league being so similarly built, but we have to be sure."

Any feedback on the juicy black glass resistor yet, Steve?

/M.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #677 - 06/28/18 at 15:11:43

Actually Steve, my response to the high power/high dollar baragadacois audiophile is a little different than what you envisioned, it goes something like this:

“You bought that and think it’s good??? What’s WRONG WITH YOU!!!  You seem intelligent enough, perhaps your not well.  Might want to visit your doctor.”

Being of the temperament that I am I have to work hard at being... tactful, even then I have a hard time being... socially sensitive.  The $1,650.00 per watt makes it next to impossible.  So when I’m criticized for my insensitivity to bragadacios audiophiles my reason for it is... It’s all Steve’s fault. (And I’m sticking to that!)

IP Logged
Havtorn
Verified Member

Reply #678 - 06/28/18 at 20:04:01

I've never been too impressed by people who keep bragging about their precious little things, knowing that such behaviour is often triggered by a chronic need to get confirmation/recognition.

I guess my reply to such comment would simply be "Power is nothing without control", and then perhaps add (as appropriate) "I like you. You remind me when I was young and stupid....."

On a more serious note, I think it would be opportune to explain to such a person that the Decware product line is more than an interesting alternative to the audiophile brands you find when going mainstream. It shows what you can actually find if you are just prepared to step out of your comfort zone, think out of the box and not let you be easily impressed and misled by fancy marketing/sales jargons and exclusive branding so often typical of the mainstream products with their seemingly unlimited financial resources. The Decware signature is a wake-up call for the more conservative ones among us who so far have blindly accepted to act as guinea pigs for the corporate giants… and often at great cost.....

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #679 - 06/28/18 at 21:30:35

Listening to Donald Fagen ~ The Nightfly right now, Steve. With a tasty beverage ~ SURLY XTRA-CITRA PALE ALE.
https://surlybrewing.com/
....missed Fagen....he was here on the 15th! Lars here, was in Cali...I took a nice picture of Sue my girl, with Rob Lowe...he's a nice guy. His son graduated too. Like Rob said on Jimmy Fallen: "he gets his brains from his mother." I concur too/my son, from his brilliant mother.

...If you can make my ZMA sound better than this?! I can't wait to send it to ya! OR, come down for a visit...AND challenge your Cables & Speaker's against mine. Different flavor's? ....or big difference/mine?

Cheers all!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #680 - 06/28/18 at 21:54:49

Popping in to check up on the forums - yep, they are still here.  :)

Nice to see the 25th is shipping! I finally unplugged my Zen for the first time since November and put my ZMA in with 7027a. It sounds good, but man, even my watered down 25th is just so much more.

I'm still looking forward to the ZMA Enhanced - I can drop mine off anytime you want to play around with ideas.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #681 - 07/02/18 at 05:09:49

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #682 - 07/02/18 at 13:23:42

Congrats on your 25th!! Beautiful...

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #683 - 07/02/18 at 19:35:49

Until you actually listen to it you have no idea how beautiful!!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #684 - 07/02/18 at 19:55:04

I can imagine... the video sounds amazing! Nice.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #685 - 07/02/18 at 20:41:46

lazb, mine is in ‘quality control’ as we type... later this month, I think, or early July I’ll know first hand.

Based on initial feedback and my experience with Decware in the last 5 years I’m quite confident that this will be it for me after 43 years in this ‘hobby’.  I don’t look at this as the end of a journey but, finally, the start.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #686 - 07/02/18 at 20:59:16

You may not have noticed, but it's already early July! Hope it ships soon. Been my experience that from this point on you won't have much longer to wait!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #687 - 07/02/18 at 22:03:27

WHAT THE H HAPPENED TO JUNE!!!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #688 - 07/03/18 at 00:57:31

LOL

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #689 - 07/10/18 at 02:53:02

ALRIGHT! I was just contacted by UPS and the UFO25 should be at my door in the next day or two.  Now the day to day wait, which makes it feel like July is going to be a lot longer than June in duration.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #690 - 07/10/18 at 06:17:10

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of the amp with the super 3 ho xrs.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #691 - 07/10/18 at 14:30:32

Great news!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #692 - 07/11/18 at 18:24:42

The SE84UFO25 owner's manual is ready:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84UFO25manual.pdf

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #693 - 07/11/18 at 18:52:11

That's a heckuva manual Steve! And the first picture I have seen of the DNA2.

I predicted before and I still believe that this amp will be a big success. I know how great it sounds because I have the Monoblock version and I struggle every evening to turn them off. . . . Theyy are nearly hypnotic and a tube-rolling platform par excellence.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #694 - 07/11/18 at 19:23:38

Oh my, I just took a peek at the manual...no time to read it now but lots of useful info for all decware Amp owners.  I'll read it after I get back from work. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #695 - 07/12/18 at 01:09:58

From the new manual,
Quote:
If a subwoofer is used, you must have two, and they must have a passive 12dB low-pass crossover and be driven in parallel with the main loudspeakers by the SE84UFO25.

Any recommendations?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #696 - 07/12/18 at 03:15:33

Typically a pair of 12 or 15 inch drivers that are of an efficiency that is equal to or greater than your main speaker and are of an impedance that is equal to or higher than your main speaker.  Placed into an open baffle, a sealed or ported box or in some cases a folded horn depending on which would be the best match for the room and existing speakers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #697 - 07/27/18 at 02:09:34

I have created a support board for the new 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier in the EQUIPMENT area of these forums.  

And in it I have started a thread about IMPRESSIONS of the new amplifier and moved some of the more recent posts that were here into that new thread.  

You can find them here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1531362294

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #698 - 08/03/18 at 04:05:43

UPDATE 8/2/2018

I have been taking these amps into the listening room and spending some time with them after I've finished the QC process, and still can't tell you for sure if the Copper Foil VCAPs or the Copper Foil Jupiter caps are actually better.

So far I have Quality Controlled 16 of these anniversary amps (with many more to go) and am thrilled at the consistency.  It's rock solid. Just like all of our stuff, but you know in the back of my mind, since this is SO good there is always that thought what if it's a fluke and not every amp sounds that way!!! For example, when I did the original blue Zen TORII by series-wiring two single-ended air-gapped transformers together to create a high-loss push-pull transformer... Man that sounded good. Problem was only 1 in 3 or 4 amps actually even worked, so we would have to build the amplifiers and then play musical transformers for in some cases weeks until we found a match that would not become unstable at high frequencies.

Anyway when crap like that happens you gain an understanding that just because something works or sounds incredible once or even four times in a row it's no guarantee it will sound that way a hundred times in a row. I have however every confidence with this amp in particular That each one will sound identical.  With it's 25 year history of perfect stability into everything from no connection to a dead short and even it's ability to drive electrostatic interfaces which simply torment most amplifiers, even with this unreal resolution, if anything it is making it easy to hear how identical each amp is... more so than normal.

Anyway back to the caps, I do see that after 8 hours of playing, the Copper Foil beeswax caps sound completely burned-in and always strike me a lot sooner than the VCAPS. That said, when the cool back to room temperature they will go back to their normal un burned-in sound until they actually do burn-in. The beauty of the Jupiter Copper Foils used in the Decware amps is that even during the burn-in process of several hundred hours, you can hear the caps as if they were burned-in by simply giving the amplifier about a 4 or 5 hour head start playing music before you start your listening session.

The Copper VCAPS in their defense once they do burn-in sound more present, a touch more forward even perhaps more intimate. Also the dynamics are even more impressive and the overall gain of the amp is slightly higher.

So after listening to 16 of these 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifiers I realize another thing about them that I have not mentioned before. It is called Logarithmic Fidelity. This is when good recordings explode into the room as if you had ten times the power you actually do.  So when going from a recording that is molested from the start to a great recording on a normal amplifier, there is a noticeable difference.  On a good amplifier, there is an appreciable difference.  On a great amplifier there is a large difference.  On an incredible amplifier there is a giant difference.  It's a logarithmic amount of difference.

Also important to note is that this is all digital recordings I'm making this observation on.  The power of the amplifier seems to literally follow the logarithmic quality of the recording.  I could pick dozens of songs that sound like the amp is distorting badly and broken, making you certain there is only about a watt or two at most and making you feel like you need way more.  THEN the good recordings come in and suddenly it sounds like you have literally 10 or 15 watts, more than you need for sure, and wow is it powerful sounding.  

Logarithmic Fidelity, driven by speed, transparency, simplicity and quality.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #699 - 08/03/18 at 04:25:15

What I love about any amplifier, especially this one, is that when I'm setting at my desk  just through the doorway to the listening room and something sounds so unreal that I have no choice but to get up and walk in there to see if what I heard was really happening!

Tonight, on this same amplifier the track on Tidal came up and about 5 minutes into it, I could no longer ignore it and had to walk in there.  Another holy-crap moment where you just can't even believe what you're hearing!  It just sounds so real you can never get used to it.

https://tidal.com/track/4585633

On an SE84UFO25 driven by a ZBIT connected to your favorite balance XLR DAC the track above is JUST SICK in how real it sounds.  Speakers are the DNA2 however I am certain it will do this on EVERY speaker we make.  It's this amplifiers ability to rise above the speaker limitations and get inside your brain that makes it such a memorable experience.

- Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Send Topic Print