Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:23:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Jr Resolution Question (Read 8052 times)
bokat57
Ex Member

Torii Jr Resolution Question
11/11/17 at 02:08:49

Hi

I have a Mini Torii amp.  The MT is a warm and forgiving amp, even music poorly recorded can easily be listened to.

It is my understanding that the Torii Jr is more unforgiving and accurate.

I would like to ask you Torii Jr owners your thoughts on how the Torii Jr detailed and high resolution presentation  have affected your music collection.

I am sure that the good recordings sound outstanding but what about the poor and average recordings can you listen easily or is it so accurate that it becomes unlistenable.

Please provide all information you can that might reveal just how high definition the Tori Jr is.

Also I would like to get any information about how hot this amp runs. (In a small room for example)

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Samsdad
Verified Member

Re: Torii Jr Resolution Question
Reply #1 - 11/11/17 at 18:14:13

Hey bokat57, I just posted a (rather lengthy) review of the Torii Jr., but let me answer your questions here as best I can.

As far as resolution, I feel that I hear every single thing that is recorded on the source. This includes tape hiss, background coughing, noise, etc. I hear when the bass is overdone, and when the singer breathes in and out. I hear the attack and decay of a plucked guitar string, and the clicking of the parts of a saxophone when its being played. Any vinyl records that have been uploaded to youtube for example that have even the smallest scratch come over the speakers loud and clear---so much so that it made me realize that I'll probably never be able to stand owning a record player. If it's on the recording, it's coming through the speakers loud and clear.

I don't have a music collection per se (other than some misc. CDs collecting dust upstairs). All of my listening comes over a network audio player (a Marantz NA6005), which allows me to listen to, among other things, internet radio stations, anything on a computer that's hooked up to my wifi network (I haven't tried that yet), and anything that I play on my iPad or iPhone via Airplay. I prefer to listen mostly to internet radio, as I feel that having a collection limits me to having new listening experiences. (Hell, I'm even listening to opera in the morning. This thing has completely screwed me up apparently).

I can distinctly and without question hear the different line levels that each station is broadcasting in. I also hear which ones (like my local NPR jazz station) are bumping up the bass levels to, perhaps, make themselves sound better through a car radio. Is it distracting sometimes? Yes, but I also feel like I'm not missing a thing, good or bad. I can also hear that youtube music is dynamically limited compared to the internet-radio sources. And those are probably limited with respect to CD players or master tapes. I've yet to buy a CD player to make up for this "deficiency", and anything on those CDs are probably available on youtube or iTunes should I feel so moved to buy something (I haven't).

I wouldn't say that some music has become unlistenable (other than those scratchy records mentioned above), just that I don't expect to hear a Louis Armstrong recording as if it was recorded in the same studio/same equipment as Metallica's newest record. This gives the music a sense of time and place that is . . . "appropriate" for lack of a better way to put it. It'd be weird to see a perfectly clear 16 megapixel image of Abraham Lincoln, for example.

As far as heat, this isn't the amp you want to chill your beer on. It will probably keep your coffee warm if you wanted to balance your cup on the power transformer, but I'm not saving money by turning off the house furnace either. After reading the manual, and re-reading it, I know that Steve designed the amp to run hot. That said, I don't try to see how long I can keep my hand on the transformer from time to time (not long by the way).

I have zero regrets buying the Torii Jr. It has as much or more resolution than my Super Zen CKC, which has not been reconnected after getting the Jr. in the mail. Hope this helps.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/17 at 02:16:14

Hi Samsdad

Thank You for your time and effort responding to my question.

I found your reply to my post and your 6 month review post very well written and completely descriptive and I understand what you are saying.

Due to your posts I now have a very good idea of the Torii Jr sound signature,in fact I had an amp some years ago that I could have described similarly. ( if I could write as well as you that is )

However I am still unclear on the heat subject. Let me put it this way:

If your Torii Jr was in a small room ( 10 foot by 10 foot ) in the summer do you think it would throw off enough heat to make that space uncomfortable.

I got some feedback from Steve on this but I would like to know what you think.

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 11/12/17 at 13:56:36

I don't think it will have that great of an effect so as to cause your room to become noticeably warmer.
It also depends on tube choice. I am running 807's right now and the amp is just warm, not hot at all.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/12/17 at 16:48:25

Thanks SonicSeeker Good to know

May I ask your sound signature impressions of the Torii Jr

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #5 - 11/12/17 at 17:55:19

Short answer is it is honest, open, clear, fast, wide, tall and deep.
I fought for a long time with several different brands and types of gear to get as honest a playback of the source as I could.
This amp will reveal the differences with tubes and cable choices, as well as everything else you try, allowing you to really fine tune your system to your liking.
It is a fantastic foundation for a system.
It gets even better with age which is great also.

IP Logged
Samsdad
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/17 at 19:15:23

I honestly don't think it's giving off enough heat to change the temperature in a 100 sq. ft. room. Maybe a coat closet.

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/13/17 at 01:36:27

Thank You Both for helpful thoughts on this matter !

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/17 at 18:05:21

Bokat57, the speakers you choose to pair the Torii Jr. with may have more of an impact on whether the sound is warm & forgiving, or whether it is more accurate and unforgiving.
I pair my TJ with the ERRx speakers and the sound is more relaxed – takes the edge off of digital content.
However, pairing the TJ with say, the HDTs the TJ could sound more unforgiving as I believe the HDTs are what Steve uses when he voices his amps, which suggests they are perhaps his most accurate speaker.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS