Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
16ohm (Read 4384 times)
plakey
Verified Member

16ohm
11/11/17 at 02:05:43

Greetings.

I'm interested in the Zen Triode SE84UFO to pair with my Zu Omen mk 2.

Curious about two things:

1. Can I get it with 16ohm and 8ohm taps (instead of 4 and 8)? The Zu's are 12ohm.
2. Should I use a preamp with this, or ok direct?

Thank you very much for reading.  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 16ohm
Reply #1 - 11/11/17 at 02:35:37

Hi Plakey, good questions. Looking at the manual it doesn't seem that you can get it for a 12 to 16 ohm speaker rating, but the manual does say that the high position of the two position speaker switch could be used with 16 ohm speakers.

You can operate this amp without a preamp as it is provided with a gain/volume control. A good preamp can also bring a benefit to the amp in use. Here is what the manual says about a preamp:

This amplifier has been designed in such a way that you may use it with or without a pre-amp. To that effect it has been equipped with both a volume control and a simple source selector to allow you to switch between two line level source components, such as a CD Player/DAC and anything else.

If using a preamp, connect the output of the preamp to one of the two sources on the amplifier and set the amplifier’s volume control somewhere between 1/2 way up and full. Use the volume control on your preamp to adjust listening volumes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: 16ohm
Reply #2 - 11/16/17 at 15:46:23

Hi Plakey,

The amp would definitely work with higher-impedance speakers, yet I would guess it would lose a bit of power in comparison to driving a 4- or 8-ohm speaker.

With the low-power amplifiers of Decware, I almost always like to use a high-output source, more than what the technical specs say.  For instance, the SE84UFO asks for an input 2.0V for full output.  I am currently running mine with a Copland DAC215 which is at the same time a tube preamp, and the combination of the two is great.

Similarly, I recently gifted my SE34I.2+ to my girlfriend.  She has a Hegel HD2 DAC with only 1.0V (or 1.25V) of output which is far less than the required voltage to run SE34 at full volume (the new version needs 2.5V but the one I have might need less; definitely at least 2.0V though).  Anyway, I coupled the SE34 with a tube buffer/preamp by iFi which has a 7.75V max output.  The combination sounds great with a slam and control on bass.

So, if I were you, I would couple the SE84UFO with a nice preamp and would not worry about running it with your Zu Omen's.  I am sure they will sound pretty good.

In the meantime, I would like to hear your thoughts about the Omen's as I am fancying ordering a pair of the Dirty Weekend version.  Particularly, how is the bass response on those speakers?  I am considering replacing my B&W DM630's (at 91dB efficiency) with them...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged