Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:40:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interested but a bit confused (Read 10945 times)
jimmieg
Ex Member

Interested but a bit confused
11/04/17 at 16:50:12

I have a standard se84ufo on order. I have two sources, both balanced: Ayre cx7eMP, and an Aqvox phono 2Ci for my turntable , both currently running balanced to an Ayre ax7e. The Decware amp will (hopefully) replace the Ayre. I can run both sources single ended but they are designed for balanced and sound better that way. So, the zbit would allow me to continue to run these two sources balanced, into the se84ufo.....?   Should I change my order to the balanced version of the se84ufo? Or get a ZTPRE? Or stay with the amp I have on order, and add a zbit?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: Interested but a bit confused
Reply #1 - 11/04/17 at 17:24:11

A dilemma for sure...

The easiest option is to keep current order and try single ended inputs on SE84UFO. You may like it as is. No muss, no fuss.

A SE84UFO2 with balanced input will only get you half way there. 1 XLR and 1 single ended. More $$, order change

A ZBIT also get you half way there. You would have to switch your XLR cables to switch sources. Good solution, but not convenient. More $$

A ZTPRE gives you manual source switching and a remote option, but you will still need a ZBIT to get single ended into your SE84UFO. More $$$, lead time

If you like the SE84UFO when you get it and have the $$, I would get the ZTPRE and ZBIT. This is what I have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/04/17 at 17:24:23

A ZBIT is set up for a single XLR input, so you would not be able to run both sources into the ZBIT and out to the amp. A ZTPRE and a ZBIT is the expensive option that would most comfortably suit your needs. . . It would be expensive but it is an excellent sounding combo with lots of flexibility for volume and "gain riding."

Or you could save some money and buy TWO ZBITs and use one for each source and send the single-ended output into each of the two inputs on the amp.

Juan replied in the meantime and he has reminded me of the balanced input option on the amp. . . one other alternative is to get that installed and then use a ZBIT as well for the second source.

Options. . . none of them CHEAP. . .but options.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/04/17 at 17:29:34

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/04/17 at 17:30:39

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/04/17 at 18:06:20

You might want to ask Steve what combination he thinks best.  When I questioned him on putting XLR inputs on my ZMA (as a retrofit) he recommended a ZBIT instead (all theoretical for me since I don't have the need at this point).

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jimmieg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/04/17 at 22:04:12

Thanks for the replies! I will talk to Steve. Will also wait for the amp to arrive (probably late December) and try single ended, although both of these sources are optimized for balanced. Having only one zbit would mean having to swap out sources but I mostly listen to vinyl, maybe not a huge inconvenience.

IP Logged
AC
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/03/18 at 22:57:55

I am also interested in the ZBIT. Aside from the variable output control (and likely the wideband transformers), is there a difference in operation between the Zbit and boxes such as the Radial Twin Iso, or the RadioLabs TX-AFC1M, both of which should convert the signal 1:1?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 09/04/18 at 00:50:12

They seem very similar products; of course one seems to have additional output formats and one seems to be one channel only with no adjustable output attenuation. The Decware MAY have a higher quality Jensen transformer and quite PROBABLY has a better potentiometer (stock, and of course there's the stepped attenuator option) and quite possibly has a better grounding scheme. And I would wager the ZBIT has better RCA and XLR connectors. And the ZBIT can be made with dual attenuators, an option I find quite handy for room and channel balance. And comes with the Decware lifetime warranty.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/07/19 at 19:43:44

Hey Buster, I'm looking at putting the ZTPRE on top of a DSD as pictured and looking at different footer/isolators. Are those the IsoAcoustics in the picture? Did they do the job? One of my constraints is they can't be more 1.5" tall.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/19 at 18:23:37

Stock footers. They did great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/27/19 at 21:22:05

I blew that picture up and can see now that the reflection of the feet in the piano black gloss top of the DSD made me think these are Oreas. In fact they look as if they are silver versions of the black stock ZTPRE feet that I have. They work well. But I find several other feet better in my system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print