Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Taboo Mk IV Review
10/28/17 at 21:02:49

I think I like this Mk IV better than this reviewer, but he definitely liked it!

http://earphiles.org/2017/09/decware-taboo-mkiv-review/

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: Taboo Mk IV Review
Reply #1 - 06/01/20 at 21:32:31

Lon,

The link has since gone to the graveyard. I wish it could be revived somehow. Did you ever print it out? If so, perhaps a .pdf file can be created.

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/01/20 at 21:49:01

Sorry Brad, that was not my review nor did I archive it anywhere. Guess it is gone the way of good things.

I did search for the review outside the direct link and found this page, which I believe is an abridged version of the original review:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/decware-taboo-mkiv.4854/...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/20 at 00:51:35

Thanks Lon, I did see that review awhile back, thanks for digging it up and pisting here. I just read it again. I assume this review was done with headphones only. I am curious about the following:

1. In your experience, is there anything in the review you disagree with?
2. Can you describe the differences between headphone listening vs. speakers?

Lastlly, how would you rate the MK IV vs. your experiences with other amps in the Decware line [speaker listening]?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/04/20 at 01:06:57

I find it hard to agree or disagree with this review. He doesn't mention what headphones he is using. To me this amp is different with each pair of headphones that I have. It loves the Oppo PM-1 I have and the Sennheiser HD800S are very good with this amp when I also use a ZROCK2. It is very nice with the ZMF Ori I have but doesn't quite have enough OOMPH to bring out their best. (A PS Audio GCHA is the best amp I have for those). The amp sounds differently with different cabling, and power treatment, and tubes. . . it is so revealing and clear that it is like a chameleon. It will show you what is on the source and the signature of the headphone and also of any preamp and power and isolation treatment you are using.

As far as speaker playback. . . it is taken to another level with a preamp but has a very honest and revealing character without one. I would put it in between the Toriis I had and the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks I have with speaker use. It is not as powerful or weighty as the Toriis may be, but it is a bit more resolving and "faster" than the Torii. It is a bit more powerful and "traditional tube sounding" than the Monoblocks, with more weight to the sound, but not as revealing and "fast" as the Monoblocks. It's a great amp in between those two different amps. All aspects of performace can be heightened with the use of a CSP3, the amp likes to have that gain pumped into it and pays one back with weight and authority. A ZROCK2 is also a great benefit--I use both with mine, but have used each separately. Each separately with the Taboo is jaw-droppingly good, the only thing that beats that is both together in use with the Taboo, and the only thing I have heard that beats that is both in use with the Monoblocks--the CSP3-25 and ZROCK2-25 with the Monoblocks is the very best sound I've heard. The Taboo with these two in front of it is the second best sound I've ever heard. All that is with speakers efficient enough to not over-stress the amp.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/20 at 14:41:34

Thank you Lon for a very revealing and important post.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/04/20 at 14:55:43

Lon,

I don't have a preamp [any longer, it was a solid state Bryston BP-25 that Ive since sold with one of my previos systems], but I'll soon have a ZBIT and a ZRock2 with 25th mods.........Understood that a CSP3 preamp will add a new dimension, but I will be able to take advantage of the 4.5 volts afforded by my Bryston BDA-2 DAC with XLR outs to the ZBIT........I only have 1 source and plan to keep it that way......how close in your opinion would the ZBIT as a preamp with be vs a CSP3-25?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/04/20 at 17:43:03

The ZBIT will be a more "neutral" sound than the CSP3 of any type. There will be a definite advantage to using all the gain from the DAC. You will have a bit more body and dynamics, you'll have quite a great sound. The CSP3 will allow you a number of times that gain theoretically and also the "flavoring" of tubes. And a maddening possible "sounds" or special sauces to add.

I sometimes wish I had the simplicity of the system with just the ZBIT. Last week I took the CSP3-25 out for a day and played around with things. Got great sound. I put the CSP3-25 back in because I KNEW that there was a certain dollop of density that I can have with that. Had I not known, and been accustomed to that characteristic, I would have easily lived with without it.

In your shoes I would probably unplug from this forum until you got the components and played around with them for a few months. . . you can then address what rectifiers, preamps, etc. you might need! And you might not need them!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/20 at 18:10:51

Lon, thanks for the comments, and a word from the wise. A couple of other members also of very high esteem [will, JOMAN]  have given me the same advice.

Sometimes my excitedness gets the best of me.

Today I found out the zrock2 and the zbit are on the bench. The taboo should follow imminently. I'm guessing another 4 weeks or so until shipment. Its been about 13 weeks so far, a 5 week delay built in because I took advantage of Steve's 10% COVID discount which put me in back of the line on the wait list at the time. You were right from the very beginning......"now the wait begins". The last couple weeks have been nervewracking [ you might call that excited, lol ].

Thanks again Lon, as always you are johnny on the spot and so helpful.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/04/20 at 18:13:57

Good news on making it to the bench. Actually it may be 2 to 3 weeks before shipping and arrival from this point if my past order experience is still relevant. Take a deep breath and go about other things and they'll be there soon, you are definitely on the downside of the wait. Exciting!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/04/20 at 18:16:22

Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print