Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 13:04:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using unmatched tube in Class A Zen amp. (Read 3001 times)
flargosa

Using unmatched tube in Class A Zen amp.
10/20/17 at 23:07:55

Since the Zen Class A SET amp is not a push-pull amp and there is no crossover distortion, is matched tubes needed?  Are there negative audible consequences of using unmatched tubes?  

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Using unmatched tube in Class A Zen amp.
Reply #1 - 10/21/17 at 15:42:41

I've used various nos quads on my pair of Rachel's purporting to be matched but within a small parameter ( when you read the figures they are not equal )and what happens is that you notice the meters will show a small difference ; one slightly higher and one slightly under the the ' target' of what the tubes should be as 'new' I say target because one is above and one slightly below as if balancing each other. This will happen on each amp. The sound has always been perfectly balanced between the speakers, which I take to mean as ithe description of self biasing.
At the moment I have all meters reading 40, which is a fluke for me but may be normal for those that buy new tubes ( really new ).

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print