03/28/24 at 16:28:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fisher Vs. Decware (Read 3562 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

Fisher Vs. Decware
09/28/17 at 20:26:21

Someone is selling a fully restored Fisher 500c near me for $1000. I'm wondering if any of you think it is worth it? I have a Decware Zen Select that I'm very happy with but I've been reading a lot about the Fisher and I'm curious. The speakers it would be paired with are Cornwalls.

How do you think it compares to the Zen?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Fisher Vs. Decware
Reply #1 - 09/28/17 at 20:33:43

It's been a long time since I've heard a Fisher but I have to say. . . from my recollection of a few hearings of a few Fishers they are great examples of a "classic tube amp"--warm and almost romantic sounding.

However once you hear the detail and openness and dynamic contrast that a Select can bring out. . .you probably won't want to have extended times with the Fisher. The Zen amps are a whole different animal, and closer to the "musical truth."

Just my impressions. I heard Fisher tube receivers both before and after I heard Decware amps, and I was more impressed "before" and "after" I wouldn't give up my Decware for one. Now, as the heart of a second "easy listening" system in a den or bedroom? Maybe!

They are "revered" in some circles and possibly rightly so. I think though that as a longtime Select owner you'd not be seduced away. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 09/28/17 at 21:19:36

I agree with all of the above.  Plus - the power of a Fisher would be nice compared to your Select, but it will probably seem veiled compared to the Select.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/28/17 at 21:40:54

Thanks. That all makes sense. Would you say it would be similar to a select with el84 tubes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/28/17 at 21:53:05

Yes, that's a way to think of it, that's closer. . .but the Select with EL84s is still likely to be more detailed and dynamic.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print