Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:58:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
couple questions regarding setup while I wait (Read 665 times)
RayBan
Verified Member

couple questions regarding setup while I wait
09/26/17 at 20:08:44

hi all,
very excited to finally be getting this AMP. I've been saving fund$ in a glass milk jar with the cap super glued on for over a year, and the Mrs finally gave me the blessing Wink

I searched the forum and didn't find my answers so I figured I'd start a new post , say hello, and get some good feedback.

I read I do not need a preamp but I will probably land up using my existing Integra Pre so the boys can watch movies on occasion.

question1
If I hook my Integra preamp to the amp what has proven to be the best for the amp? Turn amp up half way, MAX? and adjust volume using preamp? As with everyone else here I'm chasing the ultimate sound quality.

question2
I have Paradigm Studio 100 main speakers. I've always thought they should only be set connected to an 8ohm connection. If I read correctly, I can/should compare the 8 and 4 OHM settings on the amp to find the best sound. In other words the speakers will be fine.

question3
My turntable currently  feeds into a Vincent PHO 700 phono stage preamp then into a standard input on my preamp. If I decide to connect the turntable directly to one of the inputs on the ZEN amp, The vincent phono stage output would connect to the ZEN amps inputs, in other words the Turntable to Zen WILL need the phono stage to provide the correct output voltage to the amp.
Thanks so much for the feedback. #Excited  :)

Ray

"Music Is The Answer"
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: couple questions regarding setup while I wait
Reply #1 - 09/26/17 at 20:18:50

Hey Ray, awesome! You're going to love the sound.

1) I honestly think you'll get the best sound going directly from sources into the Torii Jr. but yeah, you can use your preamp. Experiment with having the amp turned up halfway to full and controlling the volume from the preamp. I have done a lot of experimenting and with my preamps and amps I end up turning the amp up all the way and controlling volume with the preamp, but that doesn't mean that will work best in your system.

2) Your speakers will be fine, try both settings and see which works best (likely the 8 ohm).

3) Yes, you're going to need to put the phono preamp in between the turntable and the amplifier. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
RayBan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/12/17 at 14:17:31

Thanks again for the info (appreciated) Received an email that my amp is now "on the bench". CAN'T wait! Smiley

"Music Is The Answer"
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 11/08/17 at 19:39:10

Did you get your Torii yet?

IP Logged
RayBan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/08/17 at 21:49:07

I DID Smiley I've had it about 2 weeks now. Everything I've read in the forums and elsewhere are spot on.
There is a break in period,so 1st thing I do when I get home from work is head to the listening room and power it up, THEN its time for dinner and the like Wink I've made it a point of listening to at least one album side per night and honestly LOVE that glow of the tubes Smiley

I've noticed more and more opening up of the music as the hours progress. Music I'm very familiar with revealing things I've never heard before. The other things I'm noticing is the sound stage is deeper, bass is smoother, and the sound is airy. Its true to the recording, great recordings sound GREAT, and some not so much. Wink
Its exciting to know it will improve as the equipment settles in, considering I've had more than a few goose bump moments already I'm THRILLED. Thanks for asking
Ray

"Music Is The Answer"
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #5 - 11/10/17 at 19:11:42

Excellent.
Glad to hear it is working out so well for you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print