Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:49:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best period in music? (Read 12756 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Best period in music?
09/21/17 at 22:30:57

So what do you think is the best period of music?
I'm betting that most of us will answer that it was in a time period that spanned from your early teens until your mid twenties.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Best period in music?
Reply #1 - 09/21/17 at 22:34:32

In my case no, I think that the time period I'm most interested in is about '50 to '70, from when I was not yet born (I was born in '55) til I was about 15. I am fascinated by the jazz music of this period, and both earlier and later, but these 20 years really have a strong allure to me.

I didn't really start collecting and listening to it hard until the end of the 'seventies, I started with some Miles Davis in '72 or so and gradually was drawn deeper into jazz history and music by the end of that decade. To the point that by the mid-eighties I hardly listened to other genres with any continuity. . . jazz became a musical obsession.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #2 - 09/22/17 at 03:15:45

I can safely say for the most part the '80's was my least favorite.  Few exceptions.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
RayBan
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/09/17 at 17:51:10

70's were great...

"Music Is The Answer"
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/09/17 at 21:04:46

To me, it depends on the genre of music.  

For rock, pretty much all of 60s and first half of 70s, I would say.  

Being a jazz musician, even though I like everything, I have a soft spot for 50s and 60s bebop and hard bop spanning from Bird all the way to Shorter.  But what has come out of the New York scene since mid-90s, I find amazing.

I am not a big fan of pop, but I like the kitsch stuff from 80s, maybe for having my teenage years then.

For classical, anything and everything!  On another note, these days I am reading Morton Feldman's "Give My Regards to Eighth Street: Collected Writings of Morton Feldman."  Highly recommended...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Morecowbell
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/28/18 at 03:39:14

Not really. I use to think it was the90s but it's actually the 30s, 60s and 80s. 30s because of guys like Richie Valens, 60s because of early hippie rock and 80s because of synth music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/28/18 at 10:49:23

Morecowbell wrote on 02/28/18 at 03:39:14:
Not really. I use to think it was the90s but it's actually the 30s, 60s and 80s. 30s because of guys like Richie Valens, 60s because of early hippie rock and 80s because of synth music.  

I'm sure it's typo--50s, as Richie Valens was born in '41 and died in '59. What a tragedy.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #7 - 04/14/18 at 13:31:12

So what do you think is the best period of music?
I'm betting that most of us will answer that it was in a time period that spanned from your early teens until your mid twenties.

I think you came up with a question that would be interesting as well to ask it as it would pertain to different periods in the evolution of music along with humans.

As an example lets take the general theory that teenagers want to listen to something other than what their parents listen to. How about a point in history when there was less variety. The classical period.  So any composers who were considered "cool" by the standards of that period which younger people were drawn to? How about early man using stick to hit a rock or log creating a basic rhythm. Was it perhaps a young cave boy who took an animal skin and stretched it to make a drum?  That bit of technological breakthrough is still used today. What an innovator. At a certain point someone dreamed of electronic music until it was a reality.

We find our favorite in the past and present because it exists but it is a  wonder about what music genera and innovation we have yet to dream up and make new? Do you think AI will make music pleasing to them? They certainly wouldn't need to convert it to analog. A pop song duration to them may be milliseconds or perhaps a continuous stream of improvised impulses something we humans would not even recognize as music.

Anyway that was the thought journey your question took me on. I enjoyed thinking about your question. Thanks.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Timothy McCarty
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/23/19 at 16:19:15

Interesting post. I think most people lose their ability to try to understand new music at about 35. I found that to be true of myself. When I hit college I started listening to jazz and 20th century classical, went back to rock for a bit and now am neck deep in the jazz and modern classical.

IP Logged
Crowes
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 07/28/19 at 19:47:43

For rock, the 90s were amazing!  You had so much variety.  We were realy spoiled!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/28/19 at 22:44:48

I think right now is the best period in music. Never have we had the amount of music to consume and be inspired by. As a musician, I am influenced by everything I listen to which is a fun journey in itself to explore. We all have the best play back systems available with the only constraint being our wallets and the engineering that went into the album. With so many genres and mediums of absorbing music, I can't think of a better time than now.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/24/19 at 04:04:28

For classical I have not been able to like the 20th Cent., Henry Purcell's era may be my favorite.

For pop, before the mid 70s when disco replaced music on the radio. I especially prefer the late fifties and early sixties. Say from "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" 1958, until British Invasion 1964. Although I like British Invasion too.

Brian

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/14/20 at 00:20:40

As for rock, its progresdive rock for my taste. ELP, early-mid 70s Yes abd Genesis, among gobs of prog jazz rock from Europe.

Acoustic blues to hard electric Texas blues rock.

Female jazz vocals.

As for classical,  I love the baroque and classical periods especially chamber music. Late renaissance period in lute musoc is nice, and the romantic period following the classical period definitely works.

IP Logged
Xarro
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/20/20 at 15:01:11

without a doubt 70s! Love it all my life

IP Logged
s3steve

Reply #14 - 05/25/20 at 20:38:40

It depends on your music tastes and what you like to listen to.

I was playing records Friday night ended up playing a lot of different music made in 1980. This was Rock, Fusion Jazz, Jazz, New Wave and Punk.

To be honest some of my friends back in the day thought it was weird I'd through on a Buddy Rich LP after playing The Cramps!
It's all about the exposure!

There seems to have been a lot of different things going on 1980!
Nowadays it seems music is a little more segmented into separate styles and not as much blending of styles. At least it seems it isn't as common today as it once was.

CSP3-25
SE34I.5
Ariston RD11
PS Audio GCPH with the Underwood upgrade
Bluesound Node N130
Altec 605B's in a 620 Cabinet / JBL 2402 / Markwart 605B Time Aligned Crossover
Omega Super 3 XRS
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 06/11/20 at 20:59:27

baroque period [1600-1730]
classical period [1730-1830]
romantic period [1930-1900]

especially the mid-late baroque period  :)

IP Logged
Joseph60Dyson
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/15/21 at 10:27:53

Actually, I consider that using such any period is essential! By the way, as you're music lover, I would like to recommend this wonderful source https://theguruchoice.com/audio-equipment/best-bass-compressor-pedal/ where you will be able to read valuable information about bass compressor pedal and then buy it for making better sound on your guitar. If you really like to play on your instrument and you would try new equipment, just click the link and use this source in the right way for yourself!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print