Send Topic Print
System warm-up (Read 8737 times)
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

System warm-up
09/20/17 at 02:15:03

Hello all,
Of course I always try to have the system warm up for 15-20 minutes before any serious listening.

Found it's not enough.

After 15-20 minutes, getting started it sounds very good. But as listening time goes on, it sounds WAY better. After about 1.5 hrs., everything just locks into place in a way that is just missing up until that point. It goes from good to sublime.

The problem, of course, is that after it locks in after 1.5 hrs or so, the presentation is so sublime that I can't listen anymore until it gets there.
Means I've got to do a better job of planning listening time, as listening before that magic 1.5 hrs ( or so ), is just so unfocused compared to later on that it's hard to listen.

And, believe me, martini # 2 has nothing to do with this. The difference is really night and day.

Anybody out there experience anything like this ?

Curious in Danbury.

Cheers,    Crazy Bill    :)

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: System warm-up
Reply #1 - 09/20/17 at 03:51:36

I am in agreement Bill.  I have had this play out countless times on my Taboo.  Ill fire it up as soon as the house settles.  I often forget to warm it up prior to donning the headphones.  I am impatient, so I get right to listening.  Two things have held true.  I have to turn down the volume a step or two and the sound keep improving over the course of an hour+.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 09/20/17 at 14:43:41

I agree completely. In fact, when I first got my ZMA and fired it up at a friends house, my heart sank because it sounded rough, brittle, just not exciting. I could see the other people in the room looking at me to see how I was reacting, because they could hear it too.

About 15 minutes later it was starting to warm up and sound good, and we all settled in for a listen. 30 minutes later it had finally reached it's stride. In my review of the ZMA (the very first one released to the public), I said it reminded me a horse warming up and eventually getting into a gallop. Once it really got it's stride, all the other amps in the room sounded weak in comparison.

Since then, whenever we have a listening session at Palomino's house - he sets up a staging area with power and cheap speakers to plug the amp into, and while we're demo'ing one amp, the others are warming up on the sideline. We've found once the amps are warmed up, if we swap them out quickly, it only takes a few minutes for them to reach their stride again, rather than an hour or whatever.

When I'm at home and I know I'll have time for a listening session, I'll usually turn the gear on and have it playing at a medium low level in the background while I cook dinner, or just powered on and idling while I watch a TV show.

Only once did I forget my little Zen amp on for 3 days straight, LOL.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DB2

Reply #3 - 09/20/17 at 17:30:29

To avoid having to plan your listening ahead of time you should consider just leaving the amp on (almost) all the time. I do my listening on the weekends, so my ZMA is powered up Friday afternoon and turned off Sunday night. This way there is only one on/off cycle per week (which is the hard part on your tubes).

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 09/20/17 at 20:00:01

I remember reading in the ZMA manual that this amp, unlike all other Decware amps, should not be left on overnight.  I haven't inquired as to why this is beyond what is written in the manual, but I turn my off after each listen because of this.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 09/20/17 at 21:27:48

can't speak to the ZMA - only have experience with the Rachael and Torii.  With my Torii... it's "listenable" after 20 minutes or so.  Better at an hour to hour and a half.  But when it really makes you soil your trousers is when my audio buds and I have "tune time" and it's on from mid-day until way late at night.  Toward the end of the session, it's so present and juicy I almost can't stand to turn it off.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/17 at 01:26:32

Quote:
I remember reading in the ZMA manual that this amp, unlike all other Decware amps, should not be left on overnight.  I haven't inquired as to why this is beyond what is written in the manual, but I turn my off after each listen because of this.

My ZMA's output transformers can run hotter as time goes on, especially when biased higher.  I don't hear anything like the improvement that others are from cold to warm but as the evening wears on and things sound better and better I wonder if it's more due to Steve's "magic hour?"  Listening late at night has always been rather special.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #7 - 09/21/17 at 01:56:42

I am running the ZMA. The manual states that a 30 minute warm up time is ideal. I am around 30-40 minutes. I think I read in one of Steve's articles pertaining to speaker efficiency that a speaker voice coil needs to warm up as well with decent levels of music being played. I usually start listening at the amp warm up time with tracks that are not pristine in recording quality and then progress to more resolute recordings. I also feel that this takes me into the 1 - 1 1/2 hours as well till the sweet spot is kicking. I listen in the dark with no light other than from the equipment. IMO it takes a while for my other senses to dull and leave me with my ears only at full attention. I try to relax in lower level light and stimulation while my amp is warming up. Give it a try see if it works for you.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8 - 09/24/17 at 17:25:56

On many occasions I will turn on my superzen and listen to a few CD's in the late afternoon. I just leave it on for the nite-time vinyl listening session. Yes, 30+ min warm up is definitely a benefit.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 09/24/17 at 17:37:10

My routine seems to have settled into Friday afternoon when I get home the ZP3 gets turned on and left on until Sunday night. The Rachael is turned on every night (M-Th) around 5pm and runs until around 10 when my much better half goes to bed. That's mostly streaming tv/dvd. I will listen to cd's when I get home M-F and prep dinner. Saturday morning Rachael gets turned on and plays cd's or streams Pandora for back ground music thru the day until I stop chores/projects and spin records and that goes till Sunday night. If we have company for BBQ, it's always vinyl. I open up the closet and let'em look and choose. I don't serious listen until the amp and phono stage have at least 1.5 hours on them.....then Decware bliss. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #10 - 09/24/17 at 18:21:25

I always turn my equipment on as soon as I walk in the door and give it a good twenty minutes at least to settle down when possible.
On the weekends I turn it on when I get up, early riser, and wait for the wife to get up, not so early riser, so plenty of warm up time there. Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 10/01/17 at 13:53:37

1.5 hours is spot on for me too. Whether it's my ZMA Direct from Source or with my ARC LS2. Especially, with my ARC, always shut down and turned on with Mute engaged. I just keep busy doing stuff and maybe having to tweak the Balance of a new pair input/ZMA rotation I run with: Mullard's, Ediswans, choice of Tungsrams and 6N23 Platinums. I could not be without bias and balance meters at my fingertips, for the output tubes! Steve, you had to go and spoil me.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/01/17 at 18:59:42

That magic hour Steve refers to is even more striking with hi-rez headphones. I am relegated to headphone listening during these late hours, and it gets almost psychedelic at times. No spirits or smokables necessary.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 10/03/17 at 16:36:05

I believe that's what Steve is talking about when he says "out of body experience" - when you get so *into* the music you leave your body behind, and explore the music in your mind.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print