Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:23:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No sound after mounting in enclosure (Read 4095 times)
naaac
Verified Member

No sound after mounting in enclosure
09/08/17 at 22:12:30

So I successfully built my amp on a piece of wood to test everything. Everything worked and sounded great on the first try.

I desoldered the transformers, the volume knob, the included RCA jacks, and the speaker jacks to mount the whole thing in an enclosure.

I added my own RCA input jacks and my own speaker wire connectors and ran leads to the center hole and one of the three ground holes from the 4-prong RCA jacks (left the other two holes on the ground plane open as I figure it doesn't matter?) and I ran single wires from each of the speaker jacks to the according pos. and neg. terminals on the PCB.

I ran individual wires from each of the volume knob pins to the appropriate pins on the board (Verified correct orientation).

I have remeasured the 4 measurement points after mounting and powering up and they all are exactly what they should be.

But I've got no sound now! With the volume all the way up I can hear a tiny bit from 92dB/w/m speakers very faintly (that were blasting when I built it on the wood), but I also hear the sound coming from one of the output transformers.

Any thoughts? I visually inspected all connections and components and everything looks fine. There are no errors as I didn't change anything from when it worked before. I fear in my desoldering I may have damaged one of the volume pot holes. Not sure what else it could be?

IP Logged
naaac
Verified Member

Re: No sound after mounting in enclosure
Reply #1 - 10/25/17 at 21:51:31

FYI an Update:

The problem was really simple and dumb.
The speaker terminal posts I added to the aluminum case were slightly touching the case on their way through the holes, grounding the output. Amp is working perfectly now, dead quiet, and sounding so good!

IP Logged
naaac
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/17 at 21:52:55

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/25/17 at 23:04:59

Looking good. Enjoy
Smiley