Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:01:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amperex Holland 6922 gold pin (Read 9755 times)
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Amperex Holland 6922 gold pin
09/01/17 at 02:38:19

Took a shot and ordered four from the 60's. Wasn't cheap, but I figured they must be pretty good.
They take the CS to a whole new level. Trounced:
my beloved NOS early 70's 6N1P-V1 tubes.
Also trounced my NOS cryoed SLN 6n23p-EV. These sounded very quiet, very refined, but lacking a little in body and tone compared to the Amperex.

The Amperex.

Tone, tone, tone and more tone.
And body.

I love tone and body ( for lack of a better term ) That has to be right for me to get lost in the music.

I'm immersed in the music as I have never been before with this tube in the SE84CS.

Quite impressed. Anyone else here tried these ?

Would imagine these would also be outstanding in the newer versions of the Zen.

Also, just got in NOS 60's vintage Valvo 6922 types, and will compare pretty soon. Curious as to how the Valvo's compare.

Anybody try the Valvos's before ?

Cheers,    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Amperex Holland 6922 gold pin
Reply #1 - 09/01/17 at 03:16:10

I have used and use Amperex 6922 types--7308, PCC189, ECC189--in the CSP2+ and the Torii Mk III and the Taboo Mk III and Mk IV. . . and I really like them, as you say: tone and body.

I also have used another 6922 type in Valvo, the E288CC, which is a tube about a half inch taller than norm, and has a big bold sound. I had three of these in a CSP2+ and that will really spark up a system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 09/01/17 at 03:33:44

Hello Lon,
I agree. GREAT tubes. I am impressed.

My application for these tubes is only in the driver stage on the SE84CS. I highly doubt ( though my thoughts can change ) that I will have an active line stage ever. I'm presently using this in a passive config and I'm highly impressed with the results.

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2016/10/silver-elmaformers.html

Make sure you read the comments. This, I think, is the ultimate way to comtrol volume.

Cheers,          Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/01/17 at 07:51:27

Well, early in my journey I tried passive control, nothing this sophisticated, and I was not satisfied. Then I alternated between just the source into an amp with active or non-active gain control, a source with volume control into an amp, or the use of an active preamp.

For a long time I felt a source with a preamp stage was best, but that is very component-dependent, and now I've settled on the Decware preamps again, and I think Steve's flagship, the ZTPRE, has the potential to be both the best controller of volume as well as the best tailor of the system sound. In just a few hours of use I've realized it can be both the most transparent control of volume I've had and adjustable as far as dynamics and "weight."

So I know there are many ways to skin a cat so to speak, and I'm invested in the active preamp path and happily so!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 09/11/17 at 00:56:02

Thanks for your input Lon. Much appreciated.

I have in house all the necessary parts to build either a 12B4A linestage, or a 6N6P linestage, both fronted by the Silver Autoformer. the plan is to compare the passive, the 12B4A, and the 6N6P versions, and go with what sounds best to me. While theoretically the passive should be best, who knows ?
Plus, it will be fun to experiment.

Thanks again,                 Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/11/17 at 12:30:37

Awesome! Keep us posted of your impressions.

IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #6 - 09/14/17 at 00:28:02

Will do Lon, but it will be a while before I get to it.
Lot's of other stuff to do.
the passive config w/ the silver autoformers sounds so incredible I have no driving desire to try something different.

But I will eventually get to it.

Who knows,

Cheers,    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 03/02/18 at 15:52:37

Bill,  have you tried the Valvo's yet? Any impressions?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print