Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:05:57 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube (Read 54490 times)
busterfree
Seasoned Member

New Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube
08/30/17 at 01:03:58

Has any one tried the new Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube in their Decware gear?

From their website, “Sophia Electric came out with a newly designed Aqua 274B rectifier tube to raise the limitation from 8uf to 47uf. This Aqua 274B can directly replace 5U4G in most amplifiers with great sonic improvement.”

It is still an expensive tube to try at $199, but I am curious to hear any feedback. I read the review below. My interest is peaked but not enough to spend $ yet.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/sexy-blue-tubes-the-sophia-electri...

Anyone try their KT88 or EL34-ST in a Rachel?

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: New Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube
Reply #1 - 08/30/17 at 02:11:31

I have always been intrigued by these tubes.
But like many I wont be able to justify the price at least not in the near future but I will probably try them eventually.
I had also asked quite some time ago if anyone had tried them in there Decware gear.
I hope someone here will try them and give us there opinion.
I sure wish I had his toys to listen with.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/30/17 at 23:53:04

The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B seems to be a brand new tube design and not the same as their other 274Bs for what's it worth.

I often wondered about their other 274Bs and the Emission Labs 274B, but I did not try because of high cost and shortened tube life in Decware gear.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 08/31/17 at 03:07:03

Sophia Electric Aqua 274B is compatible with all Decware gear.  

It was designed like the 274B we use by Valve Art  which is to say it will handle a 47uf capacitor.

The original vintage 274s were restricted to between 4 and 8 uf.

WWW   IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/01/17 at 04:52:42

Handsome enough, that's for sure, but too rich for my blood.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/04/17 at 18:19:30

I am giving the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tube a try.

I was concerned about ordering because Sophia Electric site did not have a traditional webstore or shopping cart. I am not a fan of phone orders. No worries. It was a smooth PayPal transaction after my initial email.

I am keeping my receipt, but I fully expect to get a year out of this tube (if not several). I was happy with how the system sounded with the Valve Art 274B that ships with the SE84UFO. I am still happy with my system’s sound after installing the Aqua. I think I have about 100 hours on this tube so far....I think the bass is a little better with this new tube.

A $200 rectifier is certainly not needed to get good sound. I sold some gear and used the proceeds to try a tube I was curious about. A win win.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/04/17 at 18:21:47

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/04/17 at 18:22:51

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #8 - 11/04/17 at 20:48:21

Beautiful looking tube.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/09/17 at 10:41:05

Curiosity has got the better of me again and I just ordered the Aqua 274B.  Managed to get one for $140.00.  Once I try this tube my rectifier “journey” will end.  I was tempted to try the Mullard U52 but figured that money was better spent on a Z-Rock2.

So far of all the rectifiers I have tried in my system the Mullard GZ32/CV593, AWV 5AS4 and one of the Type 80’s (nice tube) will remain, the others will go and some already have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 05/10/18 at 15:18:24

Well, I decided to try a pair of these. I have tried two fistfuls of rectifiers in my new Monoblocks. . . pairs of RCA short and bottle type Type 80s, a great pair of Tung-Sol Type 80s, various 5U4G including the Valve Art Steve supplies, RCA and Sylvania, and the one that seems to work best for me is the trusty pair of old 5V4GB RCAs that I have from the 'fifties. With 6N5P in the ZTPRE and the Monoblocks and with an OB3 regulator this works best for me. These Monoblocks show me everything a tube brings to the table. . . .

The acclaim for these rectifiers though calls to me. . . I am going to try them out. Should have them Monday. If it works out better than my other options GREAT! We'll see.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 05/12/18 at 17:07:11

Lon- Please excuse this left turn on this thread, but what and where are you getting your adapters to allow you to us the 80 tube? Seem kinda interesting? Happy listening, Chris.
P.S. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Sophia 274B when you get them.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 05/12/18 at 17:31:25

The Type 80 are really interesting tubes. . . I've had three brands and two versions so far and each has their flavor to add.

I got the adaptors from ebay. . I have tried both bakelite/plastic black ones and porcelain and brass ones that are more expensive. To be honest I think there's no real sonic difference between them, but the latter look really cool especially in place in the amp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-4Pin-to-8Pin-Vacuum-Tube-Socket-Adapter-Converter-5...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Tube-Adapters-4pin-to-8pin-5Z3-80-5U4G-Vintage-Gold...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WE274A-80-5Z3-TO-5U4G-5Z4P-WE27-HIFI-Tube-Convert-Socke...

The Sophia Electric Aqua are due to arrive today but I probably won't get to listen with any attention til Monday afternoon. My wife has been home sick most of last week and is going to the doctor on Monday morning and I hope to work after that. I love her and want her to be well. . . I don't get much listening to the system except via headphones when she's home.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/12/18 at 18:15:48

I bought two of the plastic version from a China seller for under $7 delivered.  They can be had very reasonably.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 05/12/18 at 18:49:12

Absolutely. Do an ebay search.

Well, I'm listening to one of the Aqua 274B right now in the Taboo Mk IV. Dang. I can already tell, twenty minutes into listening, that these are exceptional rectifiers. The sound is more 3D, more layered, more open, very addictive. Shoot. I know I'll need to get anther one in time for the Taboo, and the CSP3 on the build list with my name on it.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/13/18 at 15:57:22

Does anyone know if this tube http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/274b.htm is compatible or the same specs as the aqua? Or any of the options listed?

I really don't like the blue color and do realize that is superficial, but still...

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #16 - 05/13/18 at 16:17:43

Lon- Am I seeing correctly that the Aqua 274B is a four pin tube? is that a direct plug in for the Decware Amps and pre-amp (and of Steve's gear using 5U4 regulators). Seems pretty interesting. It would be pretty sexy looking to see the 274B and two of the Sophia EL34's in our Rachael....but a fair amount os $$$. Keep us posted after you get some time on them. Thanks and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 05/13/18 at 17:28:28

That's correct it is a 4-pin tube, but it has a guide pin and inserting it with that guide pin it fist right into our rectifier sockets and works perfectly. I've managed to listen to it briefly in the Monoblocks and yes they sound very good but my wife is still ill and will be home at least tomorrow if not longer and as eager as i am to realy spend a lot of time with them. . . I don't see it happening soon. . . more's the pity!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 05/13/18 at 17:33:46

The answer you are looking for is on this page:

http://sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/Aqua_274B.htm

Sophia Electric Princess mesh plate 274B and rigid plate 274B tubes have been widely praised as the best sounding rectifier tubes ever made. However there is a catch - the first capacitor after the rectifier tube needs to be small. The max value allowed for the Princess 274B mesh plate is 4uf, or 8uf for the Princess 274B rigid plate.

The amps we use have a 47uf capacitor in use and though these tubes will work. . . Steve has advised against using them, and they won't last long if you do.

The Aqua 274B seems to have been developed to solve this problem and thus allow its use in our amps and many others.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 05/14/18 at 01:29:27

I've snuck a little bit of time in on the speakers and with the new Sophia Electric Aqua 274B tubes in the Monoblocks.

I have to say these are impressive tubes. There are many good choices for the Monoblocks. These are right up there even this early on as favorites rivaling the RCA 5V4GB that I have been using. They are very balanced top to bottom, very "quiet" in that there is a really black background, and the bass is probably the deepest I've heard from the amps so far, tight, but deep and with presence (a sort of rare combination). The RCA has a fuller bass, but not as deep. . . different source material would lead me to choose one over the other. Treble is also tight and not at all tart--it's controlled but it's not compessed or brittle sounding. The midrange is very open and this contributes a very natural dynamic contrast within the music.

Soundstage has narrowed a bit but gone deeper. And that's more than fine with me.

Quite impressed, as I should be for this costly a tube. I may have to get another one for my CSP3 when it comes so that I can see whether I would prefer it or another in the CSP3 as both those things seem to happen in user experience. If I choose another for the CSP3 the third one will go into the Taboo Mk IV as I already know I like it a lot in that component. . . .

It feels "burned in" already, so if it improves that's icing on the cake. More impressions next week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 07/05/18 at 20:57:09

I've now the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifiers in both 25th Anniversary Monoblocks and the CSP3-25, well-settled in. I have built excellent complements of tubes around these and am enjoying wonderful sound. I've rolled a few rectifiers since but for the first time I've really wanted to put the former rectifier back in quickly. The Sophias just seem so "right." Very quiet, very dynamic, very "precise." I've put a box full of rectifiers away into a closet. . . I'll be using these for a long while. . . . They really bring out all the new and exalted 25th Anniversary characteristics in these components.

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 07/23/18 at 02:37:20

Hi, i am new in this forum and happened to browse this topic.

I am considering to get Z-Rock2 next year as it is said to enhance the bass and it lead me to believe this might save users on tube rolling.  

My question is for those with ZR2, do you still need to tube roll the rectifier like the Sophia Aqua 274B? Is ZR2 not capable to deliver the attributes of this premium Aqua 274B.

Thanks

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/23/18 at 23:01:12

The ZR2 ‘plays’ (no pun intended) a completely different roll from the rectifier.  It will ‘reveal’ what it is fed to it by the associated components, the tube sets being a part of those components.  It’s not just about bass.  It has an impact on the entire frequency spectrum.  Without it much of the information that the associated components send will be diminished or ‘masked’.  I have the Sophia 274B Aqua in the UFO25 and had it in the UFO2.  Like Lon, I have rolled a number of rectifiers and the Sophie is my choice.  

If your going to spend the money on a pricey rectifier then it would be a shame not to be able to hear all of it’s attributes.  That’s where the ZR2 comes in.  It doesn’t add or subtract, it simply let’s you hear it all.  

Without getting into all of the details, yes you need both.

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 07/24/18 at 00:21:16

Thanks Joman for providing insight on both and i am more convince to get them.  Am glad to drop by and get the info I needed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 07/24/18 at 00:52:29

I have to agree, the rectifiers and the ZROCK2 serve different functions. The Sophia Electric 274B may not be for everyone but I find it's neutral stance and clear presentation lets you get the best out of your sources and also the ZROCK2. I am using this rectifier in my amps and preamp.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/17/18 at 19:05:46

Any thoughts on how the “Preferred Series” 274B from the tubestore would compare?

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 01/21/19 at 03:18:33

After having read this thread as well as doing some tube rolling, I highly recommend the Aqua. Each driver tube I listened with the Aqua sounded better than with the other rectifier tubes I tried. The bass had a greater solidity, the highs are airy without grain artifacts. The sound stage is larger and dimensional. I can hear deeper into the music.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/18/19 at 23:59:57

I now have a Sophia Electric 274B Aqua Rectifier Tube with several hundred hours run-in in my CSP3 and a brand new one in my my Torii Jr.  Man-O-Man!!!  So smooth!  So musical!  Instruments and voices sound more real and extremely present!  More than pleased!  The 274B Aqua that I juts bought has a very small piece of loose glass in the bottle, which made the discounted price $100.  I think he still has a few of these “flawed” tubes.  It’s a good time to try one!

My previous experience with Sophia Electric tubes includes both 2a3 mesh plates and 300B mesh plates that I used in my Cary mono blocks.  So I already knew how musical Richard’s vacuum tubes were.  I’m now saving for a quad of his beautiful blue el34’s!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/19/19 at 02:56:06

Smiley Great tubes, for sure. Expensive, but great. My Aqua is still performing well.

IP Logged
Jared Van Camp
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 03/15/19 at 23:18:56

For those of you that mentioned having done some tube rolling and tested many rectifiers- have you ever used an NOS Phillips 5R4GYS?

These are the rectifiers I am currently using in my SE84UFO2 monoblocks. I do like them and prefer them over the Valve Art 274B that came with the amps. To me, the Phillips are not as bright as the Valve Art’s and I prefer their tone.

Looking for any ideas about how these Sophia Aqua 274B’s would compare to the Phillips 5R4GYS’s...

IP Logged
Jared Van Camp
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 03/16/19 at 18:10:32

Also, I am interested to hear if Steve thinks the Shuguang WE274B will be ok in his amps the way the Sophia Aqua 274B’s are? I have some of the Shuguang WE replica tubes in my phono and line preamps and absolutely love how they perform...

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/24/19 at 22:03:33

Can anyone confirm that the Sophia Electric 274B's will fit into a Torii MKIV along with running a quad of Sophia EL-34ST's, they look, because of the "Coke Bottle" shape they'd be very close to touching with them all in place at the same time. Thanks to anyone who might know.

Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 03/31/19 at 18:32:13

Scott, I can't say for sure not having had a Torii Mk IV, but I did run a Torii Mk III for a spell with Sophia Electric Aqua 274Bs and TAD KT66, which are pretty big ass wide tubes, and there was no issue with tube touching.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/01/19 at 04:44:16

Just noticed your question regarding the Philips 5R4GYS rectifier in the SE84UFO2.  I had a SE84UFO2 and tried many different rectifiers including the Philips 5R4GYS.  The Mullard GZ32/CV593 easily bested the Philips and the Sophia Aqua bested it.

I also feel that the Type 80 Globe and the type 80 St rectifiers are contenders if your on a budget, I preferred the type 80’s to the Philips.

Of the 5U4G rectifiers that I tried, the Australian made AWV 5AS4 Superradiotron was my choice.  In fact I’m still using it in my CSP3 with the Sophia Aqua 274B in my UFO25.  In that combo, CSP3 and UFO25 I prefer the AWV 5AS4 in the CSP3 over the Sophia... go figure!

Hope this helps in some way...

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/12/19 at 05:13:06

Well the first Sophia 274B Aqua that I was using just bit the dust after a year and 5 months and took out a couple of fuses in the process.  If that wasn’t bad enough what happened next is even more...perplexing...

It went through two fuses in my UFO25 and then I remembered that my CSP-3 has an extra fuse.  So I put that one in and before putting my spare Sophia 274B Aqua in I thought I should start with one of my much, much less expensive rectifiers just in case.  So I started with one of my AWV SuperRadiotron Type 80’s and held my breath... and... it worked, hooray!  

But... wait a minute... am I actually hearing more detail??? Bigger sound stage??? More dynamics???... with this type 80.  Is my face starting to turn red???  When I tried out the various type 80’s I did not give this particular type 80 much time.

Well now that I was sure that it was the rectifier that took out the fuses I put in my spare Sophia 274B Aqua... and yes indeed the type 80 has more detail, bigger and deeper sound stage and was more dynamic.  To tell the truth for a while I was in denial but you can’t argue with your ears.

I am not saying that the AWV Type 80 is a better tube just that it is obviously different.  Both tubes have very nice musical flow.  In this respect I’d say they’re equal.  The attack that the Aqua 274B produces has rounder leading ‘edges’ making it easier to listen to in some respects.  It has a ‘gentler and smoother’ all round presentation with good sound stage and scale but this comes at the expense of detail.  It may be a better choice for untreated rooms.

So what to do????  Before I order another 274B I’m going to spend some time with the type AWV 80 then with the Sophia and then compare the two.  Another factor is that I got less than a year and half out of the Sophia.  If that happens again theres not much chance that I’ll get another.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/12/19 at 11:09:33

It is unfortunate to lose any tube let alone an expensive tube. Hang in there. I have had a good experience with my Aqua. I only have one, and it will not come out of my CSP3-25.

I have not had good luck finding great 80 tubes. They did not last long, and I have given up on them (for now).

Enjoy the music!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 05/12/19 at 11:37:13

Sorry about the Aqua dying. From what I've read about Aquas throughout the web that's an unnaturally short life. Here's hoping your other (and all of ours) have longer lives.

I have Type 80s that sound very good, but I've preferred the Aquas, and even  from the description of the 80 you're using I would prefer the Aqua (and I do have an untreated room). Keep us posted and I hope you encounter no new problems. . . .

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/12/19 at 12:07:03

Thanks guys,  I’m going to talk to Steve to make sure than nothing else could be contributing to the failure of the Sophia.  In the meantime, got to get more fuses.

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 08/17/19 at 17:25:05

Does Sophia make its own tubes, specifically the 274B? I ask because on another forum (Lampi related), others recall that Sophia tubes were at least in the past rebranded versions of others’ tubes.

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 08/18/19 at 17:09:57

I got the answer to the question: Sophia designs and others make it to spec.

Another question: Between the Aquas, is there a preference for the mesh plate vs. rigid plate?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 08/18/19 at 17:15:30

The mesh plate are not designed to have a long life in the Decware amps--they are for 300B, 45 etc. amp circuits. The Aqua version is designed to work with the resistor values in the Decware amps. The mesh may sound a bit better (there are some reports to that effect) but it will not last long.

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 08/18/19 at 17:35:02

Thanks. With a dac (Lampi), do you know if the value of the trailing capacitor would come into play in terms of tube wear, as it does with amps?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 08/18/19 at 18:02:54

I can't say for certain, but I imagine it would. . . .

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 08/18/19 at 18:21:46

What piece of equipment are you using?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 08/18/19 at 18:33:26

Lampizator Atlantic 2 TRP (TRP = tube rollers paradise), with tube rectification. It comes with a KR 5U4G for recti. The photo attached is of someone else's, while mine is in the process of being converted (upgraded). I'm looking at possibilities for both that and output, and came across this thread about the Sophia Aqua.

Lampizator_Atlantic_2_TRP_from_forum.JPG
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 08/18/19 at 20:37:30

I would suggest not using the mesh plate to replace a 5U4G. The Aqua would be the right choice.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 08/18/19 at 21:20:33

Aqua.
HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 09/30/19 at 12:49:12

Well,  after ~6 months of solid daily use.  Probably in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 hours of use.  My Aqua 274B  is giving up the ghost.   Arch's/sparks every time on startup now.  Tried in my 25th-Anniv amp and ZP3.    I have pulled it and marked as bad.  No reason waiting for it to blow a fuse or fry a resistor when it really goes.

Kinda bummed that I only got 6 months out of it considering it was ~$160.    Did sound good but as I have rolled in a few other rect's over the last few days I don't really feel like I'm missing it all that much.   Currently using a Russian 5c3s with hanging filaments and it sounds excellent,  and only $10 to boot!!

Just figured I'd post my findings here for anyone else considering the Aqua 274B.   I will say that if you do plan on purchasing one, I would def. incur the expense of the 'Warranty'  for an extra $50 I think.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 09/30/19 at 13:55:46

I agree J.  I think that for the money - and performance - you just cannot beat the 5C3S.  About the best bass I’ve heard out of a rectifier.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 09/30/19 at 14:19:58

Man, sorry to hear that Johnny. I have four Aquas in use, considerably longer than six months, for seventeen months actually in my Monoblocks and counting and about a year in Taboo Mk IV and CSP3--and not a sign of a hiccup or problem. And I use them all a lot. And whenever I roll a dozen or so different rectifiers I always end up back with the Aquas, just the right rectifiers for me.

Hope my luck continues! Sorry for those that have had failures.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print