Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 05:34:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please sell me on (or off) the ERRX (Read 3903 times)
AKABibbleup
Verified Member

Please sell me on (or off) the ERRX
08/23/17 at 19:56:59

While I find the ERRx descriptions (sound, imaging, look and feel) very compelling, I have to admit that I don't have much experience with radial speakers. I also have to admit that I'm a big fan of direct firing speakers (and I'm not sure if this is only because I don't know any better)...

A little about me.

Primary and secondary systems at home are front firing (mucho gusto but wanting mucho mejor).
Retired full time bassist (always preferred front firing to reflex cabs on stage). We toured clubs with EAW concert stacks (front fire and reflex combo), Crown amps, time aligned active xovers, Klark Teknik EQ and a 16 channel Trident board AND LOVED IT!!!

Now the fact that the ERRx will give me the front firing ribbon and to an extent, the front firing radius of the radial which is facing me has me pretty excited. Does anyone want to take a stab at describing what I'd stand to lose or gain with radials? Intend to pair with a Rachael integrated.

Long Island, NY based if some fine folk can up the description request with a demo (I would be most grateful)

3 possibilities in terms of where to deploy a pair.
11x19 room 9ft ceilings (not a lot of placement options here)
15x20 room 8ft ceilings (with 2 or three placement options)
full basement (unlimited options including an eventual custom dimension) although friends and family will be less likely to enjoy them down there.

My gear:
Vinyl Nirvana restored AR XA w/ RB250 Ortofon Blue
Gram Slee Phono pre
Linn Majik Integrated (1995 ish)
Linn Keilidh (1995 ish) floor standers
Sony SCD-555ES SACD/ CD changer

Fodera Monarch Deluxe 5 string bass & SWR amplification.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Please sell me on (or off) the ERRX
Reply #1 - 08/23/17 at 20:13:29

Welcome!

Here's my two cents. . . and tempered with years of experience with the RL-1 and RL-2 and ERR models that preceded the ERRx speakers. And also a (amateur) bass player so there's that.

I think you're going to be more suited for the HR-1 speakers to be honest. I know, I know, more expensive, by twice as much really. But. . . the HR-1s have both front firing AND omni-directional speakers. I mostly listen to jazz and the next is classical, Brazilian and rock. IF I listened mostly to rock I would be disappointed in the bass impact and overall presentation of the radial speakers I've had including the ERR. The HR-1s which I have been using for six years or so. . . kick their ass on rock, no dispute. They can handle any music thrown at them. The ERRs handle acoustic instruments very well, they can be a very intimate playback machine for these, accurate and spacious in sound. But, at least for me with my gear, they don't rock out.

So I would say it all depends what you are planning to play through the speakers. If rock with strong bass content is the goal. . . I am not sure you'll be happy.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
AKABibbleup
Verified Member

Re: Please sell me on (or off) the ERRX
Reply #2 - 08/24/17 at 02:59:14

Thanks for your insight Lon. I listen to all types of music, rock with powerful bass being one of them. The search continues...

The HR1 is one I thought would be ideal. I'll have to wait a bit considering the price differential.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print