Freekin out! (Read 6496 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Freekin out!
08/19/17 at 23:00:59

Just spent the last hour freaking out a bit.
My turntable stopped rotating and I had a horrible noise coming through the speakers, I think my feet didn't touch the ground on the way to the volume control.
Everything rotated freely but no rotation with power on just horrific noise through the speakers.
Removed motor and checked all wires for shorts in the turntable all looked fine.
Plugged in the motor and it worked fine, put it all back together and it is playing now.
I decided to swap power cords and the place where it was plugged into the power conditioner.
I never have liked how the supplied power cord plugged into the motor on the turntable, it always seemed like an iffy connection so I am praying it is something this simple.
Maybe it was loosing a leg of the power.
Any thoughts?

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: Freekin out!
Reply #1 - 08/19/17 at 23:04:17

Still working..........
Fingers crossed
:)

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 08/19/17 at 23:15:18

This sounds odd.  Did your music being played at the time start slowing down before this noise erupted?  I can set my stylus on my TT with no rotating platter and not get any noise from it just sitting on the record, motionless.  The TT motor power is not connected to your stylus/tonearm.  Not sure how that could create the sound you are describing.  Sure it was not amp/tube related?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 08/19/17 at 23:17:27

Yes.
It just stopped rotating and would not start again.
And it just died again.
I agree, it is very strange that the motor would create feedback through the speakers upon failure, but it definitely was the cause of the noise.
Of course if the motor was putting out some serious EMI the stylus and associated wiring would probably pick that up.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 08/19/17 at 23:24:31

I guess I will be calling VPI Monday.
At least it is under warranty.
I depend on my vinyl for sanity so not cool for a 4 month old expensive turntable to let me down like this.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 08/19/17 at 23:29:26

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that man.  At least it won't be a financial burden, being under warranty.  Doesn't make the problem of no playback option any better though.  It will be interesting to see how well/promptly they take care of you.  Good luck sir!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #6 - 08/19/17 at 23:32:32

Thanks Jeff.
Yes I am interested as well and hoping it won't be a long drawn out process.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/17 at 23:46:24

Damn that does suck. If it makes you feel any better my power supply on my Rega p6 just shit the bed during the last week of my vacation. I, like you depend on my vinyl/tunes for solace. I hope it is a quick turn around or fix.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/20/17 at 00:01:54

Wow. That's a real drag. Sorry it has happened and hope it gets resolved soon!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #9 - 08/27/17 at 14:49:29

Another weekend without my vinyl!
Amazing how much of an impact audio has on my well being.
I spoke with Michael ( one of the engineers) at VPI and he was quite helpful.
He believes it is a design issue with the circuit board for the motor that they farmed out for a while and he is sending me one that he was going to modify for me.
Should be here in a couple more days Sad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 08/27/17 at 15:52:03

Hope it gets there soon Scott! Would be terrible to be without music. I've moved my vinyl components out of the system for a while to accommodate the influx of the Magnum Dynalab tuner and an incoming ZTPRE, but vinyl only usually amounts to 5 or 10 percent of my listening so I'll be fine til I decide to have a vinyl marathon and set it up again.

Just a few days. . .and you'll be back in audio bliss.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print