Just amazed (Read 6760 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Just amazed
08/19/17 at 18:09:07

I have had this maple isolation platform laying around for quite some time now and had been meaning to get around to cutting it in half and making it wider to fit my turntable, and well I finally did.
I installed it under my turntable and the results are simply amazing.
To say there is an improvement would be a huge understatement.
I am frankly surprised at just how much better my vinyl sounds now, I had no idea it could possibly sound this much better.
Now to clarify it already sounded very very good, at least I thought it did.
So I guess I have learned how using the right isolation in the right application can be hugely beneficial.
When the turntable was on the entertainment stand I would knock on the stand and hear it very loudly through the speakers when stylus was engaged with record and now there is no feedback at all doing the same thing.
The soundstage the clarity the separation the detail the bass all greatly improved and even the highs seem clearer with less of an edge.
The platform was originally black but I decided to sand it down and stain and poly it.
I like how the center pieces of walnut stand out.
I just used some polyurethane self adhesive feet from Home Depot.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: Just amazed
Reply #1 - 08/19/17 at 18:13:38

pic

GetAttachmentThumbnail_001.jpg

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 08/19/17 at 18:14:42

Pic 3

GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/19/17 at 18:21:54

That's really cool SS. I agree, it makes quite a difference. I have used a 4" maple platform from Mapleshade for my turntable with great success in the past, clear improvement.

I found even further improvement when I put my turntable on a PS Audio PowerBase. I haven't yet tried both (the Power base on the maple platform) but I might. I have that going on underneath my Cambridge Audio CXU and man the sound from that is very good.

Glad you got around to sprucing the platform up Wink and installing it!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/19/17 at 18:41:06

My take on a TT without isolation is like a room without treatment!   Grin

That was my nod to Lonley Raven.  But kidding aside, why TT isolation is so important is pretty easy to understand once we understand that the whole function of a TT system is to transpose ultra fine vibration into sound.  Natually, any outside interference would distort the reproduced sound.  I believe that on the other end, speaker isolation is equally important.  (I'm repeating this for those who still haven't gone the isolation route.)

If there is any impact on sound from tapping on anything other than the TT itself, you can be sure you're not getting accurate sound repoduction at a fundamental level.  It would be nice to hear playback from a TT suspended in a vacuum!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #5 - 08/19/17 at 19:44:19

I will probably get some sort of isolation feet for underneath the maple platform now that I know this worked so well. What would you recommend Lon on the cheaper end of the scale.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/19/17 at 20:22:35

I'd recommend Herbie's Audio Lab Grungebuster dots. Four of the l.5" ones, one under each corner. . . probably cost you less than 20 bucks total and will do the job. Other components I've tried under the platform colored the sound, these don't. . . .

Steve Herbelin is a truly dedicated businessman and he mails out immediately. . . you'll hardly ever get anything delivered faster in audio.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/gb.htm

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #7 - 08/19/17 at 20:55:38

Thank you Lon.
I was just looking at the tenderfoot with the grungebuster dot.
And how about these, MAPLESHADE ISOBLOCKS
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Isoblocks/products/1/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/19/17 at 22:04:06

I used to use the Iso-blocks, came with the platform. They seemed to negate the benefits of the platform to me. I moved to the Grungebuster dots at Steve Herbelin's suggestion and it was a good one. I've tried Tenderfeet under the platform. . . made the sound too warm for my system.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/17 at 22:47:14

SonicSeeker,

Just by way of theory, try and find something that maximizes the range of frequencies that it filters.  You might even require multiple layers of isolation.  I think that some feet "sound" better or worse depending on which frequencies they tend to isolate and which they tend to pass.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #10 - 08/19/17 at 23:02:37

Thanks guys.
Will probably go with your suggestion Lon.
Check my new Topic Lon, Freekin out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print