Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

ZTPRE Impressions
08/19/17 at 16:00:49

Dear Readers,
Is it really possible there are so few impressions of the ZTPRE?

ILance gave us a good review. (And since has sold the preamp).

I'm curious about the unit. I love the ZBIT! And I have a ZROCK2 on order. But the CSP2+ is a great sound too, and if the ZTPRE is better. . . well better is better. . .. I do like the idea of running a balanced cable into the preamp and that's the only one currently in the Decware stable one can.

So what saith the owners? I'm hoping there are a few reading the forum who will chime in. Thanks!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: ZTPRE Impressions
Reply #1 - 08/19/17 at 19:09:07

I like the ZTPRE for what it is. I am not much for reviewing equipment, but I am satisfied with my purchase.

I often think about selling it, but I do not think I can do better for a simple balanced preamp that is hand wired with gain adjustments. I don't have the remote option or three inputs, but I like that I can have that later if I want.

I have not tried different tubes. I worry about getting six properly matched tubes (maybe I should not worry). I don't know. I too am interested in what others think about it.

My main goal and use for the ZTPRE is to pair it to SS balanced amps. I only have one at the moment. I listen to it more in the winter time because my SS amp is class A and warms up the room in extended listening sessions.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/19/17 at 19:12:18

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/19/17 at 19:18:06

Thanks for weighing in Buster. (And great "rack"). I can see that with one source and into a balanced amp this would be a very purist and likely "invisible in important ways" preamp. I would likely use only one input as well, but split the output via ZBIT to run to two amps or one into a preamp and then into another amp.

The more I read about it the more intrigued I am. I had set aside my CSP2+ for some time when I received the ZBIT this fall and fell under the clear and solid sound the ZBIT gave to my Torii. But because it has two stereo outputs I put my CSP2+ back in and with tube rolling I really enjoy that sound! The ZP3 may even be a better sounding option, and I have the ZBIT that I could add a second output to and use both the Torii and the Taboo (for phones).

Kicking tires and appreciate your input. I'm hoping to hear a few more impressions!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/19/17 at 19:54:49

From product page:
"A preamp like this one is very much like the preamp that you can't hear... except for the way it animates the music. It takes music that already sounds good, and makes it pop into a believable experience. It does this with dynamics, separation, pace, density and holographic imaging and does so against a backdrop of liquidity and intoxicating tone. All things which are the natural result of gimmick free circuit design and superior execution."

This is absolutely true in my experience.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/19/17 at 20:24:20

Thanks buster. That says it all.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/20/17 at 16:59:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 08/20/17 at 17:08:07

GREAT pic! I'm beginning to really want one.

IP Logged
Cisgo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/17 at 20:12:10

Hey guys, I too have interest in a simple balanced preamp if it can improve my setup. I just run an Oppo 105 player into a FWatt J2 (balanced). I am happy with the sound, however I was curious as to what adding a balanced tube preamp into the chain would do and if it is worth the investment.
Have you ever ran your J2 without preamp to compare how much the preamp adds to overall sound? If so, what do you think? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/22/17 at 01:54:35

I have not ran my J2 without a preamp. I may try one weekend and report back.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 08/22/17 at 04:05:20

Regarding tube changes in the ZTPRE there needn't be any fear of that.  It's a dual mono design so the tubes do not even have to match.  They simply need to all be the same type.  So if you switch to 6922, you need to do all three tubes on each channel.  The reason for this is that the heaters of the tubes are wired in series and we need them to match.

Using 6922's in the ZTPRE vs. the stock 6N1P's is like having a completely different preamp.  One with much higher resolution, focus and clarity.  You loose some of the warmth of the 6N1P.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 08/22/17 at 18:30:14

I got this email yesterday from a customer who had problems with his ZTPRE from the beginning. It had shipping damage causing a hum problem then when I fixed the hum problem I hooked one channel up backwards making the unit out of phase from channel to channel.  BTW, QC bench modified so that can never happen again.

Anyway, I sent it back and it was the first time he had heard it work properly:

Quote:
8/18/2017:

Steve:

As I mentioned in my last note and as we discussed, I was seriously considering returning the ZTPre after all the problems I had and that I felt it was limited. I even went so far as to buy another preamp because my mind was made up.

I'll be selling the other preamp.

I ran A/B tests using switch boxes into my ZMA. My listening tests were such that I knew which preamp I was playing, but when I had my wife listen it was a blind test. We came to the same conclusion. I played LP's and 24-bit 96kHz downloads. The ZTPre highs were cleaner without being brilliant or harsh as was the other preamp even after rolling tubes therein. The ZTPre bass was tight without being boomy. The piano sounded like it should with notes clear and resonant. Guitars sounded like the instrument was in the same room and you could pick up fingers running up and down the strings. Brushes on a snare drum were clear and not muddied as were the cymbals. The overall sound was just better. It was close and if I didn't have the ZTPre, I would have been happy with the other preamp - at least until I got upgrade-itis.

The other amp did have some very compelling features such as more inputs, a Home Theater bypass, cheaper tube rolling and a much less fussy volume control. But it lost when it came to listening. So, I use an XLR switch box to be ZMA for Home Theater bypass and I doubt I'll be doing much tube rolling. I have just enough inputs for stereo listening and I can deal with the volume controls.  I'm good.

Nice job. Very nice.

Thanks for picking up the return shipping and for the extra set of tubes.

Norm

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 08/22/17 at 18:34:50

Thanks for adding both these posts of info Steve!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/27/17 at 17:12:02

Picture bump

Today, the ZTPRE is feeding a ZBIT and SE84UFO.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 08/27/17 at 17:32:51

Thanks for sharing, this is whetting my appetite for the ZTPRE (red face) that I have arriving Thursday (previously iLance's and bottle head's).

I have a very similar/same (?) rack for my tube equipment (a Samson Ver. 2 rack that will house the ZTPRE, and houses the ZBIT, Taboo Mk IV and the Torii Mk III) and a larger (Samson Ver. 3) for all my other gear and for the TV and DVR housed on the top shelf. Love them!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/27/17 at 18:17:03

Please share your thoughts on ZTPRE when you can.

I chose not to go with Samson V3 rack in my second system due to cost. I got a rack from cb2 that I would recommend to anyone looking for an industrial look at low cost.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/27/17 at 18:24:57

What a beautiful set up. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I've always been curious how the ZTPRE would sound with the SE84UFO.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/27/17 at 20:05:40

Very nice setup Buster.  What speakers are you using in your main system?

Lon...looking forward to your impressions of the ZTPre.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 08/27/17 at 20:21:54

You'll definitely hear my impressions. . .I can't keep quiet about Decware components. Wink

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/27/17 at 20:36:48

Klipsch Forte II

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/27/17 at 20:42:05

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/27/17 at 20:43:13

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/27/17 at 20:49:00

I really like the ZTPRE. I do not get any listerner fatigue with it in my system.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/27/17 at 22:28:24

Thanks Buster.  Your pictures are excellent!  Great to see amazing audio systems in such great light.  I'm glad you're enjoying your ZTPre.  Best.  

-Dave

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 08/28/17 at 01:35:55

buster, yes the cost of the Version 3 Samson rack is substantial. . . I bit the bullet and really enjoy it. But. . . I've torn it down and moved it about six times now . . . not an easy task, those big slabs of maple are HEAVY and awkward for one person to move it. My friend David and I actually moved the entire rack assembled from my house in Austin and into a UHaul truck and back out and into my town home in Ohio. . . when we were done each time we looked at each other in wonder that we actually did that!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 08/31/17 at 21:56:13

My new (used) ZTPRE (no. 006) has arrived and is installed and the first music is being played through it. Sounds great so far!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 08/31/17 at 23:57:01

I didn't get much more than 90 minutes of listening in before dinner and won't have any listening time tonight. I must say it's a beautiful machine and it cold sounded as if it wasn't there, the sound was almost identical to the sound of the source directly into the ZBIT. That's a good thing, cold, unplayed for at least a week, to sound that transparent. (But not too surprising as this has the copper foil Jupiter caps and they are very transparent in my experience).

At the end of my listening session I was getting sound that was a bit more dynamic than before after adjusting the output a bit and playing with the remote volume control. As I have new cables going to and from it I suspect a slow improvement over the next few weeks, I also have Furutech fuses to install (I know these work well in the CSP2+ and the Taboo Mk III and Mk IV and Torii Mk III) and I have both 6922 type tubes to roll and "super-cryo'd" 6N1P dated from the 'seventies from cryoset.com to roll. So finally all the new pieces I put together and ordered this month are in the system and the tweaking and enjoying begins.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #27 - 09/01/17 at 02:32:22

That is great to hear Lon.
I look forward to read your future impressions of this fine addition to your system.
Enjoy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 09/01/17 at 07:55:34

Interestingly my wife was so impressed with the looks of the ZTPRE that she wanted to hear it so we listened to a bit of her music and fiddled with gain settings and then we watched television through the ZTPRE for about three hours. It is opening up very nicely and we were both impressed with the sound.

About halfway through I swapped tubes, replacing the stock 6N1P with four Mullard ECC189 and two Amperex ECC189 that I have purchased in the last few months. BOOM! Everything changed, and went from a very neutral, transparent stance of the preamp to a dynamic colorful hefty presentation. (In part this was also the component fully warmed up). I'm eager for tomorrow and more sonic discovery.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 09/01/17 at 14:08:49

Lon,

Awesome that it is working for you. It is sharp looking and i'm sure it sounds awesome.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 09/01/17 at 14:16:06

Yes, it's surprising me how well it's working. I may well have stumbled on the best tube set and settings as there's nothing I'd really like to change right now. . . everything is just animated. The soundstage has bloomed. The tonal balance is spot on for the rest of the system and for my tastes.

I'm playing a version of an album I have in four different editions: LP, Mobile Fidelity SACD, ORG SACD and a cd version from a Columbia box set of Duke Ellington releases, second volume. I'm playing the cd version, which always seemed just a bit bright and thin in comparison no matter what the setup. But not today. Just right, and there's more ambient information audible than I am used to hearing from this cd. Later I'll put in one of the SACDs to compare. . . but this cd is illustrating what the ZTPRE is doing so well for my system.

Of course I also upgraded XLR cables since I've heard this cd and every day my speaker placement is a bit different as I move the speakers back to the wall after listening sessions and then out into the room for listening sessions (a compromise I make for my wife's aesthetic sense). But I KNOW the ZTPRE is in here kicking serious ass 17 hours after being switched on.

This component is something else. The ZBIT makes it possible with my Torii, and my Torii is facing the challenge being all it can be.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 09/06/17 at 18:32:01

Okay, have to say. . . this is a great preamp.

I have three different sets of NOS tubes I can use and really was preferring the four Mullard/two Amperex ECC189 combo. . . until I left the cryo'd 'seventies Volshod 6N1Ps burn in for about 30 hours. Now these are my favorite and are going to stay in. Been a long time since I preferred 6N1Ps but gosh the sound is really really good.

There's more ambient detail and more depth to the soundstage and some very detailed imaging going on. These new cables are also contributing to an overall ease and convincing ebb and flow.

This is the preamp that is not like any preamp I've used before. . .the one that "does no harm" and does a lot of beneficial things!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 09/16/17 at 23:46:19

Okay, ten days have gone by without me saying a word on this thread about the ZTPRE.

That's because I've been listening to music and so happy! This is the best preamp I've ever heard, and the one preamp that I definitely say is better than NO preamp. I'll put together an in detail review later this month. Back to listening!

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #33 - 09/17/17 at 14:44:51

Awesome Lon.
Is the pre stock or were there any options added.
I apologize if the info was stated previously.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 09/17/17 at 14:46:47

The ZTPRE has the remote option, the copper foil capacitor option, and the three balanced input option. And the red face plate. . . I would have ordered it myself with the black faceplate, but Lucy really likes the red so that's a plus!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 10/31/17 at 01:04:12

It's been two months for the ZTPRE in my system now.

I LOVE IT. I went from deciding I didn't really need a preamp in my system to liking my CSP2+ again in my system to not being able to imagine not having the ZTPRE in my system. It is there and so not there. In conjunction with the ZBIT it is much better than the CSP2+ for my system. The slight tonal balance "wishes" I had before its arrival have vanished. I have a ZROCK2 coming and it will be fun to play with but I no longer feel the hope for "better tonal balance" I had initially before the ZTPRE.

I can clearly hear any tube-rolling, cable changes, isolation component shifts, etc. I'm using four Mullard ECC189s and two Amperex ECC189s in it and loving the sound Steve really hit this one out of the park, and all the development lead to a winner.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 12/01/17 at 02:03:14

I’m the Norm in post #11. I must admit I tried another preamp for comparison, this time a hybrid because of a recommendation and that went back for a full refund in less than a month. The ZTPre is an awesome preamp with excellent sound and a keeper.

I am now listening to the ZTPRE with Mullard ECC189’s and I’m stunned. The highs are crisp but not harsh or fatiguing. The mids are clear with awesome clarity on the piano and vocals. The bass is simply incredible, extended, full and tight. (Thanks Lon, for the recommendation on the tubes). The ZTPre is a clear keeper.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 12/01/17 at 12:04:37

They are nice tubes aren't they! Glad I could help take the ZTPRE to that next level.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 12/10/17 at 13:02:13

Gosh I love the ZTPRE. Such robust sound but also delicate when that delicacy is on the source. I'm really enjoying the new RCA to XLR adaptor, so transparent compared to others i've used. And I've put a sextet of Sylvania ECC189 tubes in the ZTPRE and am really enjoying the slightly more textured and warm sound.

This preamp feeding the Taboo Mk IV via the ZBIT gives the best sound I've heard on headphones yet. And feeding the Torii Mk III via the ZBIT (my ZBIT has dual stereo outputs) is making the HR-1s sing as they never have. I went from "give me no preamp" to "don't take away my ZTPRE!"

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 12/11/17 at 01:57:30

So do you like your Sylvania's better than the Mullard's?

I have six Amperex's coming in tomorrow and I'm thinking of testing them in the ZtPre.  Will they sound closer to the Mullard's or the Sulvania's?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 12/11/17 at 02:00:55

I like them both, I like to swap out sets every month or so. My guess is that the Amperex may sound like either depending on whether the Mullards were similarly constructed or not. My Mullards and some Amperex were A-framed, but I also have some Amperex with a different construction like the Sylvania I'm using.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 12/16/17 at 01:54:48

I put Amperex 7308’s into my ZTPre and I may be done with tube rolling. These sound fantastic; my wife commented she never heard the bells before in one of my recordings. I tried going back to the Mullard ECC189’s but they sounded flat. The Amerex’s are so open, clear and dynamic.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 12/16/17 at 02:05:17

Not surprising as Amperex 7308 are amazing. I have just been exploring less expensive types.  These Sylvania ECC189 have really settled in nicely and with the ZROCK2 I can tailor things nicely. I have Amperex ECC189 in the Torii inputs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 01/27/18 at 13:20:34

Yesterday I put cryo'd 6N1P back in the ZTPRE, quite a different sound than the Sylvania ECC189, more center fill, the highs a bit less refined, but an enveloping warmth the Sylvanias don't provide. I think I ultimately prefer the Sylvanias, but will leave these in place for a while.

I also swapped out speaker cables to the Taboo earlier in the day, from Mapleshade Double Helix Plus to PS Audio xStream Statement. It always surprises me the difference between these two cables. The PS Audio have probably a bout 40 times the metal than the Mapleshade. They give a better center image and perhaps a clearer overall perspective to work with. The Mapleshade surprise me by being a bit warmer and with a bit "better" bass.

The ZTPRE is just amazing in showing one what is on the recording and what you can do with it (via gain and ZROCK2 tailoring, tube rolling etc.) I bypassed it for a bit last week but was very glad to put it back in. The sound was great with just the DAC to the ZBIT, but there's magic with the DAC to the ZTPRE to the ZBIT.   . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 02/28/18 at 18:10:32

I've rolled a lot of tubes in the ZTPRE since I've owned it and I'm going to try to leave the cryo'd 6N1Ps in for a while. Other tube types may have a bit more refined treble, and that "focus" that Steve mentions is very captivating, but the surprising thing for me is the dynamics--the 6N1P is the most dynamic of all the types I've tried so far, showing even tiny variances clearly, and that is hard to give up!

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 03/14/18 at 01:24:01

I just put MATSUSHITA / NATIONAL PCC88 / 7DJ8 into my ZTPre and I am in awe.  The highs are crisp and the midrange is clear with excellent bass.  I hearing things in the mids that I had not heard before. For today, these are my favorite tubes.  Cheap, too.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/matsushita-nation...

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 03/14/18 at 01:33:53

Cool. I'm done buying tubes for a while. The cryo'd 6N1P are still being "just right" for me. Love the sound I'm getting now. If I get around to rolling again I'll probably try either six GE 6DJ8 or six 6N5P I received a few weeks ago. I'm using one of the 8 I got in my Taboo Mk III and after a sort of hazy beginning it's a nice tube.

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/12/18 at 04:01:42

A while back, I ordered an 8-pack of Russian 6N5P tubes on eBay for $22 delivered, on recommendations from Steve and Lon. On another forum Lon mentioned he liked them in his ZMA and that put the bug in my ear, so to speak. So, tonight I swapped out my wonderful Martshusita 7DJ8’s  and installed the Russian 6N5P’s. There is a small but noticeable expansion in the range with improved clarity, but the sound stage seems noticeably  larger and the musicians are more in the room with me. I think these are my new favorites.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 04/12/18 at 10:49:16

Yes Norm I'm using the 6N5P in the ZTPRE as well for over a week now. . . very nice tubes, I now have them in the SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks as well as Steve supplied two "red-tipped" tubes with those. Nice sound!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 12/28/18 at 15:15:50

Well, eight plus months have gone by and for a large part of that time my ZTPRE was out of the system and my 25th Anniversary Modded CSP3 was in. The CSP3 took me on a tube-rolling journey as every rectifier tube in that preamp was a different animal and then each rectifier change in the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks was another adventure and. . . it was exciting and yet a bit unsettling as I kept wanting to push an envelope and explore a new complement of tubes.

A few days ago I decided to put the ZTPRE back in to see if I really needed to keep it. I will soon be setting up a second system and the ZTPRE won't fit into the only cabinet my wife wants to have in the living room, so it's either use it in the main system or put it aside. Hours after re-installing the ZTPRE in the main system in place of the CSP3 I was hooked. I have a set of six 6N5P from Steve installed and the solid refined sound just drew me deeply into the music. And I can connect my three sources using their balanced output which is great and yields great sound. There is a slightly different presentation to the sound--the CSP3 with it's modified power supply has an energy and verve to the sound character that I had gotten used to, but the contrasting solidity and consistency of the ZTPRE sound has me relaxing into the music and forgetting about exploring which is definitely a nice thing for me NOW. That adventurous run was a lot of fun, but for stress-melting and exploring my musical holdings the ZTPRE is a great fit for the upcoming winter months. And adding the excellent remote control operation on top of that is a very nice extra dollop of ease of use.

It's a win-win because I can now use my 25th Anniversary modded CSP3 in my upcoming system, probably feeding my Taboo Mk IV and my other pair of HR-1 speakers (though I have a pair of ERR to try as well). I now am tempted to perhaps send either my Taboo Mk IV or my Taboo Mk III in for 25th Anniversary Modification. Perhaps the Taboo Mk III. That way I could keep the Taboo Mk IV as my headphone amp for the main system--it is truly a fantastic headphone amp as well as a speaker amp! The Taboo Mk III has just a touch more richness as it does not have those dimension-piercing UFO transformers, and may be the better fit for the second system and the mods will give it extra punch.

Anyway, the return of the ZTPRE to the main system is a nice thing. The Monoblocks love it and I'm getting lost in the music again. I'd recommend a ZTPRE for any Decware system (yet again).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print