03/28/24 at 23:33:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet another new guy (Read 12737 times)
fred
Verified Member

Yet another new guy
08/16/17 at 03:39:44

Hey guys, i am another new guy to the forums.
I recently purchased my first tube system from Steve. I have been in the SS analog world for a bit now. I purchased a ZMA, CP3, ZROCk, some pills, the phone stage and a few other things to get me started along with a pair of 945s. most of the speakers are i own are B&W, I own some CM10s some 804s and few bookshelf jobs. looking to hook up the ZMA with my VPI TT over the CP3 and Phono stage and plan to use the 945s. i do own a REL t91 that i also plan to use, by connecting it to the amp via the High Level Neutrik Speakon, i was wondering if this will detract at all from the sound.  good to be here.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Yet another new guy
Reply #1 - 08/16/17 at 05:59:02

Welcome to the family Fred.  Based on your out of the gate purchases, you are starting out with a bang!  Everything you bought has garnered much praise here from actual users on the forum - and some awards from respectable publications (ZMA, Tone Audio Magazine).  But I am sure you already know this and it has something to do with your decision to jump in head first.  I can assure you, you won't be sorry.  

Your system will no doubt sound amazing!  There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people here in the forum that are very helpful so don't hesitate to post questions along the way.  I have no experience with that subwoofer or that connection type so I will defer to someone more capable of answering that question for you.  

Cheers!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/16/17 at 11:55:34

Congrats Fred! It's going ti be a wait, but it will be worth it!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/16/17 at 15:15:05

Thanks Guys, glad to be here. My next quest is to find the right speakers for this amp. I am sure i will be asking questions, but the great thing is that lots of them have been answered already. my main challenge is the the size of my room, its 15 feet by 45 feet with vaulted exposed wood beam cealings and stone floors, not the best type of room, but will have to work around it.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/16/17 at 16:31:38

Fred,

I have the ZMA, CSP3 and ZP3.  I pretty much did what you are doing several years ago.  No regrets!  My room is about 17X35 with high vaulted ceilings.  I'm using the HR1s with great results.  It's not rock concert loud but they do fill the space.  I think large volume rooms will always be a challenge.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/16/17 at 16:45:43

Thank you Archie, I am looking at Hr-1s and the janszen electrostatic zA2.1 Loudspeakers, i do not listen to loud music maybe at the most 90dbs at my chair. i like the idea of the HR-1s since they are 1/2 the cost of the janszen's and they are fully passive and they have a sensitivity of 89dbs 1w/1m

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/16/17 at 16:55:45

I think the HR1s are more like 92.5db.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/16/17 at 17:21:28

You are right, the Janszen are 89dbs 1w/1m

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/16/17 at 17:34:20

Fred my listening room is about 32 x 25 with half having a high angled ceiling and the HR-1s conquer all the difficulties and fill the house with sound. I love these speakers, enough to have a spare pair that I find it hard to part with!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/16/17 at 18:11:04

Thank you guys. I will keep you posted on my next steps, but will for sure bring them up to the forum before making my next move. I also will like to invite any of you, who happen to find themselves in Miami to my distillery, we can share some good spirits.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #10 - 08/20/17 at 16:04:58

Fred- Welcome, and as Jeff said you really jumped in with both feet! Keep us posted when things start coming together. We love our Decware/Omega rig and have never been happier. Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/23/17 at 18:37:08

Ohh Darn, i am next in-line for the zp3 i ordered. this is the first time in a long time that i feel as if Christmas is around the corner, I hate b-days and Christmas these days since all they do is cause extra work for me, having to say thank you for gifts that i will never use, like a set of kitchen knives that are garbage compared to my current set or a tool that i already have. But this ZP3 is making me feel like when i was a kid and my b-days meant something

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #12 - 08/27/17 at 01:20:36

First post:

First want to say that I have been a casual stereo NOVICE for decades and have always wanted to piece together a tube system.

I have done a fair amount of reading about amps and integrated amps and have finalized my short list to Decware.

Having spent a decent amount of time reading Decware forums, I have learned a great deal from the members and want to say thank you.

My current system is nothing to brag about, Nakamichi av-10   5.1 HT /  Polk audio speakers FL FR RL RR C with Velodyne CHT-10 sub using (and don't laugh) monster cable. I know, I know, sounds really silly after learning what real audiophiles use in their rigs. And finally (cue more laughter) a PS3 for cd and DVD with a Samsung 65"

As far as my new system that I have just started building goes:

Tekton Pendragon speakers that will be delivered next wed
Mogami 14 ga cables (Eric Alexander's suggestion) also delivered next wed.

The integrated amp I have decided on is the SE34I.5 Rachael that Steve says (via email) will drive the Pendragon's very well.
The DAC / transport I have tentatively decided on is the Oppo UDP-205 because my wife and I stream most often. I am also planning on a tidal subscription.

Out of the gate, if the Oppo is finally purchased, I will use the Oppo's rca output to the Rachael until I get the ZBIT for use of the analog out.

I want to thank Steve and all forum members for all recent and future advice that I hope I will receive.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/27/17 at 05:39:05

Welcome to the family!  

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 08/27/17 at 09:13:05

Welcome Ginny!

The Rachel is a great amp.  I have two Smiley   We all started where you are at more or less.  Take your time.  Do your research and make purchases when they make sense.  And a year later, you will look back with astonishment as to how far you have come.  

I noticed in your post you were considering the Oppo 205.  And one of the reasons for attaining this unit was for streaming purposes.  I want to point out the with the 205, Oppo eliminated ALL third party apps.  Unlike the 103 and 105 prior, you cannot stream with the 205.  No Tidal, no Netflix, nothing.  I have a 205 and it is really a quantum leap over the prior model sound quality-wise, but a major step back in terms of services it offers.  According to Oppo, the reason they eliminated all of the apps was for simplicity and improvement in sound quality.  Regardless of the reason, you won't have any streaming capability.  That is what ultimately led me to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.  I am a big Tidal and MQA fan and wanted the ease of app based streaming.  I used to be able to do it through the Oppo via my modded 103.  I assumed I would be able to do the same with the 205.  Not the case.  

Anyway, I still think the 205 is a great unit and it is serving me well in my system.  I just wanted to make sure you are aware of this limitation before shelling out the cash.  

Cheers!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #15 - 08/27/17 at 14:50:06

Thx Steve and Jeff of Arabica.

Jeff, thx for the heads up on the Oppo UDP-205.

The speaker and integrated amp decision (although not an easy one by any stretch) was FAR easier than the ongoing DAC / streaming device has been.

I had it narrowed down to Oppo sonica and UDP-205, but the sonica won't work for me as it only has 1 optical input and I need 2. So I decided on the 205.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff on the fact that it won't meet my streaming needs.

Also appreciate the recommendation on the PS audio direct stream, but that 5k price is just a few bucks out of my range.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. I hope to hear some advice from the experts on this site.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print