Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 23:51:18 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Try a type 80 globe rectifier in your super zen (Read 19135 times)
jcmusic
Verified Member

Re: Try a type 80 globe rectifier in your super zen
Reply #150 - 03/16/21 at 23:51:49

Will,
It's ok to feel the way you do the difference here is that you have change all or most of your tubes in the amp. Where I have only changed the rectifier tube, that in itself makes a huge difference in what we hear and describe to other. One day I may decide to try other tubes but, for now I am pretty darn happy with just changing the rectifier tube.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 03/17/21 at 00:38:09

Quote:
for now I am pretty darn happy with just changing the rectifier tube.

Nice! I am glad you found the beauty easily!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #152 - 03/17/21 at 11:16:33

At Will,
As I said before my amp is only driving the two mid drivers between 400 hz and 6000 hz everything above and below is driven by different amps.
It kind of makes it easier to roll the tubes as any changes are very noticeable...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 03/17/21 at 15:35:25

Nice! I think tube changes are quite noticeable full spectrum using these amps also, but your tri-amp setup sounds really cool!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #154 - 02/06/22 at 21:47:10

Let me see if I can revive this thread.  I've been a cronic tube roller.  It's a bit of a problem, and step 1 is admitting it right?!  

That said - I've bought some tubes from ebay with varied results. Yup, I indeed check the reviews and the outfit itself, as well as review exactly how they are testing tubes & how they consider them 'matched pairs'. All in hopes to try and vet as much as possible before buying.  Ebay has been fine overall but I always hold my breath a bit. I've also bought tubes from Brent Jessee, which has been an excellent experience every time. He simply doesn't always have the tubes in stock I'm looking for.

Which brings me to my question:  Where else should I look to find a matched pair of RCA globe 80's? . I also want to play this game with my very soon coming back from repair from Steve SE84UFO3 monos.

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #155 - 02/06/22 at 22:00:44

I've actually had good luck with eBay on Type 80s, though admittedly bought a few years ago and the prices seemed cheaper then. They work well in the Monoblocks, though in my modded SE84UFO3 Monoblocks I've fallen in love with RCA 5V4G rectifiers. They are not as "holographic" as the Globes BUT they have the tonality and a relaxed feel to the presentation that I have become addicted to. (My source was also recently changed to a highly modded version of the same PS Audio DSD DAC I have used for years and that may have something to do with it.)

So I'm no help with other sources. Best of luck with the search.

The place where the Type 80 Globe has become stuck is the CSP3 with mods. An RCA or a Philco have been in there a long time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #156 - 02/06/22 at 22:11:13

Quote:
Posted by: LeftyEric      Posted on: Today at 21:47:10

...Which brings me to my question:  Where else should I look to find a matched pair of RCA globe 80's?

That is a pretty specific order. There are probably a dozen or more "tube stores" similar to Brent Jessee (although he would be at or near the top of the list) that might be able to help you. My advice would be to google e.g. "nos tubes" and just email a bunch of places and see if they have what you are looking for.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #157 - 02/07/22 at 11:40:08

Has anyone compared the ST type 80 to the Globe type 80 rectifier tube?
If so what were your findings?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #158 - 02/07/22 at 12:15:36

There are some comments to this effect from Will and I and I think a few others in the forum.

My impression: the coke bottle shaped Type 80 I have used are quite nice and sound to me very similar to the tube type that followed them, the 5Y3 in that shape. And they have a warmer, less open and expansive sound. The Type 80 Globe present in my systems as less warm, noticeably more "holographic," and a bit more dynamic.

I have a few pair of earlier small straight Type 80 that are interesting. They present a condensed and focused sound that is really well-suited for solo instruments, chamber music, small jazz combos, Bossa nova, etc.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #159 - 02/15/22 at 19:07:55

Try the AZ1 with adapter…..bests the 80 type and cuts on the jazzy haze.

IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #160 - 02/16/22 at 17:36:01

1954 RCA 5u4G's on the way as the baseline for NOS rectifiers.  It seems like a common starting point, and often an ending as well.  

I also have some 0D3s on the way.  Seeing if they add a touch of warmth and low end to the sound. (Reading folk's impressions seem to lean this way.)

Converters for the type 80 (and other potential rectifiers) on the way.  I'm searching from a good testing pair of RCA's globes to buy.  No luck yet.  

In general, seems like NOS tubes of all types are going up in price!  Supply and demand in full effect. Even over just the past few years I've seen large price increases.

I'll read up on the AZ1's.  Thanks for introducing yet another option to review.  Love that they are reasonably priced too.

Waving the magic wand - I'd like to hear more warmth, and perhaps a larger soundstage and some more instrument separation.  That said, the monos sound excellent already.

My Tekton Perfect Sets with the SE85UFO3's w/ poly cap upgrade is a transient-fest.  So fast and detailed already.

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print