Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

ZROCK2 Input
08/05/17 at 21:48:13

Steve, a question about input voltage into the ZROCK2. The manual says that it's not recommended to input more than 4 volts. I have a DAC that outputs 5.3 volts in balanced configuration that I was thinking of using into a ZBIT and then into the ZROCK2. If I were to turn the ZBIT fully up and send more than 4 volts into the ZROCK2 what would be the result? Distortion? Any chance of harming the ZROCK2?

Thanks!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZROCK2 Input
Reply #1 - 08/10/17 at 18:20:51

I know bottlehead was interested in this question. Steve answered this question for me in an email:

The ZROCK2 will simply begin to compress and distort once the input voltage is too high.  Zero chance of hurting it.  Using a ZBIT is a great solution as the balanced output level can be trimmed down below 4 volts.

Thanks,

Steve

Good news! I think the ZBIT/ZROCK2 input into my Torii Mk III and Taboo Mk IV should yield intresting results to experimentation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/17 at 08:42:16

Thanks for getting this clarification, Lon. I have the Directstream dac, like you, and want to be able to benefit from the increased output of the balanced outs. Sounds like there might be a fine line where the sound is optimal before clipping, but it helps to know that no damage will be done if the input voltage is greater than 4V. We can experiment freely.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/11/17 at 14:39:00

Here's hoping that we can use the ZBIT and ZROCK2 and have enough gain at the 4V cutoff point. . . . If not then it will be the CSP2+ and ZROCK2 for me, not a bad thing at all, just a different thing!

I also have a query in to Steve about the possibility of adding a second output to the ZROCK2. That would be handy for me, if I use the ZBIT either it or the ZROCK2 would need two outputs so that I can run one to the Taboo Mk IV (which as a headphone amp really does not need frequency assistance) or to the Torii Mk III (which with its very effective controls doesn't really need need frequency assistance.) If the ZROCK2 isn't able to have dual outputs, I'll send my ZBIT back in for an additional set. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/20/17 at 18:55:22

Un update: Steve let me know that the ZROCK2 will (now) allow "over 15 volts" at the input, which is really good news for me as I hope to use the balanced output from my DSD (5.3 volts) into the ZTPRE and then into the ZBIT and then into the ZROCK2 when it arrives, and I think I should be free from distortion at my listening levels. Before I was worried. . . .

Eager to play with the ZROCK2! I'm being patient waiting, really I am. But. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/07/19 at 20:47:45

Things change. . . I see now that I was using PS Audio's then incorrect info about the output voltage of the DSD, which has since been corrected--the actual output voltage of the balanced from the DSD is just under 3 volts, and single-ended half that. No wonder I found the ZBIT such an improvement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print