Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:26:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
El Camino's Live! / Summer Check-in (Read 3873 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

El Camino's Live! / Summer Check-in
07/31/17 at 19:43:34

I was in the neighborhood the other day so I stopped by the Lonely Raven's multi-media lair.  

I had some wood that I picked up from a guy at the lake - some nice office table legs that my neighbor brought to the campfire one night as his wood contribution.  I said no way are we burning that wood and thought Raven would fashion something out of it, so I brought them home.

Anyway, Raven gave me a tour of his soon-to-be small listening room and then I had time for a short listen in his main room.  In the place of his 944s (tweeter issue) were the El Camino's we had built a few years ago.  These are a MTM horn speaker that Bob Ziegler had designed a couple years ago.  He sent us the pre-cut wood and we (mostly Eric) assembled them.  El Camino was the name I gave them due to the silver car paint Bob used on his first pair.

Anyway, they sounded the best I have ever heard them.  To me, I was thinking Eric had to have a sub on somewhere.  Not just quantity.  Good tone and timbre.   I have always liked the tweeter on these speakers but highs, mids, and lows all sounded good.

Eric attributed the good sound to his input tubes and the latest Direct Stream DAC software update.

I haven't been on the forum much lately.  Busy summer, but I am really enjoying my system these days. Still running Rachael with the 807s, 274B rectifier and single wire, silver shield 1974 6n23p's.  I finally broke down and put my 6n23p NOS pair in and once they broke in they are sounding wonderful and have replaced the Mullards.  OBs with Tang Bands up top, Augies down low.  I did a lot of fiddling and measurement for exact placement and things are really dialed in.

Raven's mini-lair project has me working on my room again, but I am not fiddling with equipment much.

So I hope you all are having a good summer.  Happy listening.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: El Camino's Live! / Summer Check-in
Reply #1 - 08/01/17 at 15:29:25

I tried not to be too excited about how good the system sounded - I wanted you to hear it for yourself - especially my new favorite input tubes. I contribute it to clearing out the room, and this new OS update for the DirectStream just has such synergy with the rest of the system. I didn't even have it plugged into the P10 at all!

I have a thread on my spare bedroom project in the Room Treatments section. I would have had an update on Sunday, but I went out on a date with a different redhead (no, I never learn Wink  )  But I'll have another update soon.

I do full on plan to get my REW measurement rig working, and running dedicated outlets and everything. Big plans, little budget, and measurements and videos to show you what can be done in a small space, with a small amp, and budget speakers...but LOTS of DIY room treatment.  ;)  

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 08/02/17 at 15:43:12

I'm also needing to figure out what I'm going to do with the P10. I'd hate to steal it for the tiny room, it seems like such a waste of a giant power regenerator, though the little Zen amp has always seemed to get the biggest lift from it...the ZMA with those big caps really doesn't get much lift from it.

I'll try to talk myself into just being happy with the big Trip Lite Isolation transformer and dedicated circuit - hopefully that will bring enough lift to the gear in the little room.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/02/17 at 15:43:22

I don't know if you ever told me what tubes they were???

Anyway, they were quite nice (or was it the DS?).

I am replacing my fake wall that closed off the staircase with a more real wall with drywall and insulation.  Its in two sections so I can still remove it, but the room will be more symmetrical now.  I am also scheming on how I can move the desk out to someplace else in the basement.  With my son still using that one area for a bedroom, its hard to find room.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/02/17 at 15:48:04

Right now I am not using my P300 at the cottage.  The power is so clean up there I just don't feel I need it.  I am thinking of selling it or giving to my son.  I could bring it home for you to try.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 08/02/17 at 18:37:50

I'd like to try it!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print