Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:44:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just put an order for an SE84UFO... (Read 17475 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Just put an order for an SE84UFO...
07/27/17 at 17:29:23

After selling (quite a few years ago) my two SE84C+'s which I bridged for mono, I decided to jump back on the wagon and ordered an SE84UFO with Beeswax caps!  I hope it will take less than the 5-8 weeks of wait!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Put an order for an SE84UFO...
Reply #1 - 07/27/17 at 17:51:57

Hmmm. . . my last two purchases took 12 weeks or so to arrive. Hope your wait is less.

Congrats!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Just put an order for an SE84UFO...
Reply #2 - 07/27/17 at 19:26:29

Thanks Lon!  I am crossing my fingers as well.  When I look at the waiting list, it looks like there are not as many outstanding orders as it used to be.  But of course, it is summer time at the same time and business might slow down a bit.

A question to the floor, by the way...  I have been fancying buying a set of Spatial M3 Triode Master open baffles at 95dB.  These are 16-ohm speakers, by the way.  In the old SE84's there was an option for output transformers suited for 16-ohm speakers.  I do not see that option any more.  How do you think the SE84UFO would react to an 16-ohm load apart from some reduction in volume?

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/31/17 at 21:21:06

So exactly after a month and four days after I put my order, the parts for my SE84UFO are pulled together!  Another 3-4 weeks maybe?   Smiley

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/17 at 21:36:54

And already "on bench!"

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/17 at 07:47:00

The wait is almost over!  The amp was shipped yesterday and is expected to arrive on Thursday!!!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/17 at 16:16:58

A small change in the plans...  The amp is arriving tomorrow.  So exactly 6 weeks and 4 days!  Exciting!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/17 at 18:33:38

So the wait is over!  This morning UPS delivered my amp!  I immediately hooked it up!  Before getting into tube rolling, I just installed the stock tubes.  With this amp, I already love the stock output and input tubes any way; but I always like to try different rectifiers.  It is my first time that I am hearing a 274B.  As is, it sounds quite fine to me.

Right out of the box, the amp sounded much better than what I expected.  I am driving 91dB B&W's with it.  In the past, I remember that my SE84 Select had difficulty in driving these speakers, most probably, because of the complex crossovers.  So I bought a second one to bridge, but even that combination did not cut it.  In the end, I had to upgrade to a TORII mkII.  

The UFO is so loud and does not easily clip.  I also remember that the Selects were a bit shy on the bass with this setup.  The UFO sounds so even across the frequency spectrum with strong bass (might be because of the fact that my speakers are on the corners and might be benefitting from mechanical coupling).  The amp already has such a beautiful soundstage!  It is at quite ease with heavy passages in the music and sounds quite airy with some significant headroom.  

I cannot wait to hear it after 200 hours...   Back to burning it in!  :)

Cheers,

Alper

IMG_2500.JPG

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 09/15/17 at 18:50:38

Awesome Alper! I noticed with my Taboo Mk IV that the UFO transformers made a big improvement in that amp from the Mk III and so I'm not surprised! The amp is there in time for the weekend and ENJOY!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/15/17 at 19:21:37

Congrats Alper,

Enjoy the tunes.

JD

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/20/17 at 16:52:26

Just another update after approximately 40 hours of operation...

This amp is so freaking good!  In terms of its bass response, which I have always been critical of in low-power SET's, is still not very consistent, but it is getting there.  One day, it is to die for; the following day, it is mediocre at best!  But I am positive that it will be much better in another 20-30 hours.  Also, it might be from the actual recording as well, who knows...

The amp is dead silent.  I keep it cranked up and control the volume from my DAC/pre.  I am using some filters by Stein Music and BlackNoise to clean the power as well as power cables by DH Labs, so they definitely contribute to the black background, but the amp takes the major credit for that.

I have mostly listened to jazz so far, as well as some electronic music.  The upper shimmer of cymbals, the body around tenor sax, the balance between the right and left hands of the piano, the strings hitting a low-action upright bass when played in a percussive style, all the upper harmonics presented in a bass clarinet, or the mid-forwardness of guitar; they are all there...  Instruments have this air around them, as if there is some extra reverb thrown in the mix (not in a cheesy sense)...

The sound stage is such that if you do not look into where the two speakers are located, it gives you the impression that there is a wall of instruments and amps on the stage taller and wider than the size of my room!  The separation and the detail are all there.

Even though the earlier versions of this amp were good as well, I must admit this version with the UFO is a significant step-up.  

Thanks for a great product at such a low price, Steve!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #11 - 12/06/17 at 18:33:27

Just put in an order this morning for an SE84UFO and CSP3 and am looking forward to tracking the progress on the amp waiting list.

Had a nice conversation with Steve yesterday. Being the novice that i am i found him to be a real down to earth guy and easy to talk to.

I have read many posts from some of you guys on this forum about gain riding and got a decent explanation from Steve on how he would initially set up the SE and CSP3, and how to make adjustments going forward.

I'm stoked, but now begins the 8+ week long wait.
Since i'm only 3 hours away, i'm thinking about driving down to pick them up when ready to avoid possible shipping damages.

Next will be an Oppo Sonica DAC and IC cables once i figure out which ones to buy.

Suggestions from you guys on IC cables will be greatly appreciated and highly considered.

Set up will be
Oppo Sonica - Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD transport - CSP3 - SE84UFO - Tekton Pendragons

Speaker cables are currently Mogami 3082 and subject to change based on suggestions.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/06/17 at 19:47:26

Hey Ginny,

Congrats on the new order!  Hope you will receive them ASAP...  I have not tried many different brands of cables but pretty much everything I own from power cables to interconnects to speaker cables to digital cables is by DH Labs and I am quite happy with them.  In the past, I had some experience with Nordost, Kimber, Decware, and Tara Labs, but DH Labs seems to be of good quality for me.

They also come in different levels and prices, so I would start with the mininum basic and would upgrade over time as needed.

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/07/17 at 00:12:34

More brands to consider for lower cost speaker cables and interconnects:
Signal Cable
Blue Jeans Cables
Better Cables

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #14 - 12/07/17 at 15:52:58

Ginny,  Wow nice buy. Your gonna be in audio heaven. Best bang for buck cables I've ever tried are "audio envy"....I met the owner (Captain) at the LA Audio show this past January. The show awarded his cables. Check them out!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #15 - 12/08/17 at 00:06:23

Just ordered the Oppo Sonica and will get it next Wednesday.

Thanks for all the advice on IC cables, I will be doing some research over the next several weeks on the cables you guys have suggested and another one that one of my buddies texted me about which is Stager Silver Solids.

I also would like to know if anyone has tried or own the Decware Silver Reference IC’s.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #16 - 12/08/17 at 03:49:41

I have the decware ref cables, for the money I think they are hard to beat.  I like them between phono stage and amp, they don't have shielding so don't work between SUT if you have one.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/08/17 at 20:46:44

Second the DSR IC’s.  I have 2 pair.  One from my ZDSD to the CSP3 and another from the CSP3 to the UFO2.  I have a third pair ready when I get the Z-Rock2.  From time to time you can get then pre-owned.

If you get them, like evrything else, make sure you give them time to burn in.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #18 - 12/08/17 at 21:36:10

Martindfletcher
I see that you have the XHadow Machined Silver RCA connectors. Have you heard these cables without and can compare?

JOMAN
Do you have the XHadow Machined Silver RCA connectors as well?

I need 3 pair, and the difference being $477 - vs - $867

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/08/17 at 23:04:00

Ginny,

My cables do not have the XHadow RCA connectors.  Before I bought I talked to Steve.  I can’t recall the details of the conversation other than when I considered what he said and other comments I decided to go with standard silver RCA connectors.

Not that these comments stated or implied that there was no difference.  In fact some comments were quite positive about the XHadows.  In my case I had tried other silver IC’s and I didn’t like the results.  Nevertheless, I decided to try the DSR’s but not being sure about silver IC’s I didn’t want to add to the cost of a trial.  I was quite surprised and pleased at the results so much so that I so no need to change connectors.

In the meantime I’ve been burning in components and so left the matter of connectors alone until all the components have burned in and until I have explored tube variations for my CSP3 and UFO2.   That is close to complete.  I have a Z-Rock2 with silver RCA’s, almost ready for shipping so that will be the final component to burn in.  Once that is done I may explore silver RCA options for the DSR’s.  Not because I need to, but because of that d**n audiophile itch.

I’ve got silver WBT RCA’s on my digital cable, very, very good, but very, very, very expensive.  Another option that I might explore are the KLE Ultimate Harmony.

Regardless of which connectors you choose either way the DSR’s will be good IMO.  Just give everything a chance to burn in.

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #20 - 12/09/17 at 04:44:07

I have not done direct compare with or without the xhadow.  So I can't comment, but steves price with them was better than buying the stock and swapping them out by a mile.  My problem is initial investment is so high in this hobby, I don't stress about a few extra bucks here and there, other times I am cheap. Like I couldn't pay 1000 for power cables so I got mil spec silver cable from a partial roll on eBay and paid full price for wattgate gold connectors and built them myself.  Not sure my investments make sense all the time they are usually after long listening sessions and beverages.

Like Joman, I have the wbt silver on my phono stage there are nice, sound great. I suspect the xhadow is more robust without the twisting and exposure pulling cables when drinking.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/09/17 at 21:51:54

I like a variety of interconnects for better mixing and matching of components. I stopped buying them quite a long time ago when I needed to go further than some of the great value cables of the time could take me...Decware Silver, Grover, Reality, nice MAC ICs....all are quite good for the money, and all have a different sound, which I liked. But looking at popular parts, I figured I could make cables for similar cost or less, with world-class parts, and refined to personal taste by experimenting with geometry, different wire sizes and metals. So I learned to solder better and started making cables that were notably better at a similar cost.

Right now I have in:  Neotech silver/gold signal, and Kimber pure copper returns helixed around a cotton rope with KLE Absolute ends; Duelund round silver/oiled cotton, signal and ground twisted, and Duelund Rhodium RCA ends; and one pair with Balanced Neutrik silver connectors on the DAC end, Mundorf silver/gold signal with Jupiter 6N copper return lightly twisted and shielded with tinned copper, hardwired to my "Zbit" transformers.

I also have a Mundorf silver/gold RCA pair made similarly to the Neotechs that I rotate in often, with a Neotech braided copper/cotton ground, and KLE Pure Silver ends. And several variations of VHAudio pure silver recipe with KLE ends that I used for years, and still use, but use less lately.

These are all really good, each with different flavors of revealing, body, complexity, etc... all musical. Variations, well placed, contribute to better synergy with DAC/ZBIT/CSP/Torii, and all together, different flavors contribute to complexity and sweet beauty.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print