ZROCK2 (Read 18263 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: ZROCK2
Reply #50 - 01/01/18 at 18:59:40

I too find no reason to remove it from the audio path via bypass switch as adjusting the knob does that for me. That being said I have not played anything yet that using the ZROCK to some degree isn't beneficial and usually very beneficial.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 01/01/18 at 19:08:31

What about the two equalization curve options?  Do you find you use only one or both?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 01/01/18 at 19:27:33

I have used both. . . I mainly use A but there are some recordings where a dash of B is just right and several where a bit more has helped a lot.

You'll find your way into the component's use easily and fast. It surprised me how intuitively the component works and how easily one gets a handle on it after just a little experimentation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 01/01/18 at 19:32:11

Lon, I'm sure you're right.  This is just what people on the Waitlist do to pass the time!   Tongue

Has the ZROCK2 lessened your need for the treble cutoff on your Torii III?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 01/01/18 at 19:37:46

Actually no, I need that cutoff and though I have the bass and treble controls a bit less "cranked" (in the case of treble down, bass up) I don't think I'd be completely happy without these controls even with the ZROCK2.

I briefly tried the Taboo Mk IV as a speaker amplifier with the ZROCK2 when I first got the ZROCK2 and it didn't solve the issue I have with that amp driving speakers. . . but that was early on in my ZROCK2 experience and I want to try that again in the near future, as well as try the Eddie Vaughn modified Zen C amp I have with the ZROCK2 driving the HR-1s. (I don't have the treble cut circuit on these amps).

For the Torii I know I need the treble cut circuit and I would try to have it in any other amp I use primarily.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #55 - 01/01/18 at 19:43:20

I have not used the other setting yet myself but I am sure I will try it when I come across something recorded terribly. As of now the one setting has been able to do as much as I have needed.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #56 - 01/03/18 at 03:19:39

I'm pleased to see so much positive feedback on the ZROCK2.  Sales are strong on it, and I'm getting to that comfort zone now with all the feedback and a year of use in my own universe that if I were going to spend money promoting one of our products, this would be it.

For myself, I have used it with several DACs, Streamers, my vinyl rig, and my tape rigs. I have only used the bypass twice.  I find that at least over here it imparts a midrange presence with all the correct underpinnings, that I can't live without it. Adjusted just past half way on the brighter EQ, it simply makes everything sound better, regardless of equipment,  or speakers. This was my fantasy goal... that magic black box that you simply can't live without.  Didn't know it was going to go here, would have been perfectly satisfied if it just made streaming internet radio enjoyable which is what originally motivated it.

I find it interesting when comparing it to the ZSTAGE, it's closest relative, that the ZSTAGE transparently adds slam and presence, but the ZROCK2 adds ear candy tonality and tangible musicality that once you've had it, your pretty much unable to do without it.

Makes me realize that I could have built this into our amps and cheated my ass off, but I'm too much of a purist for that, plus I like a fair fight.  

I think about the guy who buys overpriced isolation feet, or the guy who way overspends on cables hoping for a big change, and I want to tell him, yea it will make a big change for the better no doubt, but for the same money or less we could transform your stereo from mediocre to superior with just a flip of switch. I mean after all, why buy a high performance sports car and run cheap gas in it?  Same thing.

Another interesting observation is that the ZROCK2 is proof that the source equipment and or recording is always the weakest link, meaning most have never heard how good their stereo can be, only glimpses from time to time. This seems to be a way to "make it happen" nearly 95% of the time instead of waiting for it to happen 15% of the time.

Enough rambling, time to listen.  Last night it made a grand piano sound far more real than I've ever heard one recorded and much more like I remember my own grand piano sounding like in years past.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 01/03/18 at 03:57:47

Exactly what I want Steve: Ear candy tonality and tangible musicality, for the recording processes, we all know let us down. Thanks for this and I'm excited to get mine.

Your ZDSD output is further enhanced with the addition of an Shunyata Zitron Alpha Digital power cord, I'm so pleased with. Speaking of speaker (or cables)/as you referred to, fortunately I was able to get my KS6063's at 50% off retail. I can't part with, though I have tried. I can't go back, as I figure I won't be able to go back from your ZROCK2.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #58 - 01/03/18 at 06:44:05

Quote:
Makes me realize that I could have built this into our amps and cheated my ass off, but I'm too much of a purist for that, plus I like a fair fight.

Amen.  That statement you just made defines you and your brand and is the reason you have the "quality" of following you have today.  No wire, resistor, capacitor, tube, or genius schema can create this.  I commend you!

I am looking forward to the arrival of my ZROCK2.  Right now, I am wallowing in the beauty of my ZMA via Omega's.  Made some room modifications today and my ZMA/Ultra/Omega SAHO combo has never sounded better!  

And thank you AGAIN for the Ultra!  It is the Swiss Army Knife in my system and the reason I have not had to sacrifice.  I have a pretty complex thing going on here and it would simply not be possible without the Ultra.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/03/18 at 12:01:55

Steve,
Actually the thought of combining the ZROCK2 and an amp has crossed my mind more than once.   Not for all the amps but possibly a Zen Super Amp or the Anniversary Amp????? (Nudge, Nudge)

That would be hard to resist!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #60 - 01/03/18 at 13:25:52

Even though the by-pass switch will see little use...as Steve mentioned... . It will be good to have, for the initial reinforcement.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 01/03/18 at 13:26:21

I'm glad that Steve has confirmed that he's hearing what we're hearing. This ZROCK2 is a great full-system enhancer.

I agree that it accomplishes changes in aspects that expensive cables and isolation devices assist with. But the good news is that if one has equipped a system with these the ZROCK2 is so transparent and revealing that its improvements are so vivid and RIGHT. (At least with the Type II copper foil caps, that's my only experience in this component, but with previous experience with these caps I know they enhance transparency and resolution of the signal). I've tried the ZROCK2 in my second system which has lesser cabling and lesser isolation control and I have to say it makes a significant difference but the effect is less vivid and I have to apply a bit more EQ and I get a bit more of a thickening of the tonal balance as a result, less of a good thing for me. So I'm glad I have reduced noise in my system with great cabling, power treatment and isolation control as I feel I'm getting the best of the  resolution and focus that the ZROCK2 can deliver.

This is a great product. A dream product of mine would be one component with a ZBIT and ZROCK2 and treble cut circuit built in with several stereo outputs and two sets of dual attenuators so that balance control could be applied. And to make the dream better, a remote control like that in the ZTPRE and perhaps in a matching chassis. What a system tailoring tool that would be!

So glad this component has been selling, Lord knows I've been trumpeting about it and so has  Scott and Randy and others. . . I'm not surprised that it has become a fast selling component and wish it all the success imaginable.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #62 - 01/03/18 at 13:35:19

True Lon, glad you reinforced my opinion of great cabling. I plan to, see what the ZROCK2 can do when I put my 8TC Speaker cable and other Kimber IC's in. Then of course, back to my KS1030 x 2 & KS6063 Loom + Shunyata to ZDSD.

Though I have tried a few times to part with Kimber Select.....it has not happened yet.   Grin Cool  

I know Lon, your top Voodoo Cable is very very good. You are also running great caps in your HR1's too. Mundorfs like me, if I recall correctly. I had KS3033 for 14 years (2001 till 2015), KS3035 (2013, 14 & 15)....then went to these KS6063's.....and cannot go back!

"Sonically the KS achieves a level of intimacy and low-level resolution that’s almost embarrassing in its nakedness."

I want to hate them....but, I can't.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #63 - 01/03/18 at 21:28:55

I am listening to Yes Close To The Edge right now and I am finally able to really enjoy this album on my system in my room thanks to the ZROCK. This is one of those albums that was just about unplayable, no actually it was unplayable until now, used to be way too bright and sharp, not anymore. Steve's latest post is right on, and I quote : I find that at least over here it imparts a midrange presence with all the correct underpinnings, that I can't live without it.
I personally find that the music is much richer and detailed at the same time.
I am listening to side two now and it sounds really excellent. This album for me is a real litmus test.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 01/03/18 at 21:53:59

I hear you my friend. I've found that to be the case with a few problem cds I've played. . . the ZROCK2 makes me forget about their shortcomings.

I just popped an Audio Magic Super Fuse into the ZROCK2. I have had a great experience with Audio Magic fuses in my ZTPRE (takes two for that component, an expense to risk but I really like the subtle improvement) so I wanted to try one in the ZROCK2. I think it's time, I've gotten a handle on the sound with the standard fuse and the component is pretty well seasoned in now.

Initial impressions are quite positive. The fuses in the ZTPRE (which were the longer size) took a week or so to "be all they can be" so I expect a little change with this one. Like the ZTPRE and the ZBIT (the other Z Amigos) the ZROCK2 lets me hear everything. I love its transparency and the enhancement it brings.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #65 - 01/04/18 at 01:04:37

The biggest challenge behind the design of the ZROCK was to do it with a single tube. So easy with two or even three, but one was a real challenge. This ended up being why it is so transparent and now able to be used in serious signal paths without obvious tradeoffs. Tone seems to always be the casualty of the recording and playback chain, so being able to restore tone at will just makes the music sound more the way it did in the studio live.  

I can assure you that never in a real studio did the music ever sound lean, thin or dry, or even peaky in the top end. The top end is always well controlled because in the studio it is loud. These attributes (nutrients) are washed out from the processing and playback process, just like processed meat. It is most apparent in the digital format, which if you think about it is exactly like taking real meat, liquifying it, letting it dry and cutting it up and selling it as real meat.

On that rather disparaging note, the ZROCK comes to the rescue by somehow fixing this problem equally well in all formats without bias.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #66 - 01/05/18 at 15:02:03

SS, L & SD, you're killing me!

Please, can you finish up my ZROCK2 today and ship?!

I know, I know.....all in due time.   Cry

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #67 - 01/05/18 at 15:29:37

I feel your pain Stone. My Zrock has been ready since just before Christmas. But, due to holiday's and bad weather shipment has stalled.
I was told it should depart Decware this last Wed, but I have not yet seen ship notice with tracking?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #68 - 01/05/18 at 15:59:18

Hmm, yeah I noticed, yours has been packed status, for some time now, on the build sheet?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 01/05/18 at 16:28:40

Tube-rolling can be fun. . . or maddening. Recently with the ZTPRE and the ZROCK2 it's been fun. I put the Sylvania ECC189 back in place in the ZTPRE and the Amperex ECC189 back in the Torii MK III so no longer is all super cryo'd 6N1P. And I enjoyed the bit of "focus" that brought back to the table, with a dash of body. Then I popped the RCA tube (what type is it?) that Steve sent with the ZROCK2 back into the ZROCK2 in place of the Amperex 6085 and I'm really enjoying this entire complement as a whole, a really great sound--full and swinging!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/05/18 at 16:55:17

This might belong in the ZP3 section but we've been discussing the Amperex 6085 here so ...

Has anyone tried the Amperex 6085 in their ZP3 instead of the 12AU7?  If one sounds good there then it might make sense to by a pair for the ZP3 and ZROCK2.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/05/18 at 17:23:31

Quote:
I was told it should depart Decware this last Wed, but I have not yet seen ship notice with tracking?

I just looked at the build list and you might want to contact Sarah if you haven't already.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 01/05/18 at 18:18:41

When I got my ZTPRE this fall I took my vinyl playback out as the Taboo Mk IV and the ZTPRe are occupying the available rack space that my RP3 and ZP3 held before. I needed the headphone playback to extend listening possibilities and my digital playback is so strong (and my digital collection far bigger) that I haven't missed my vinyl spinning. So I can't put a 6085 into the ZP3 but I'm pretty sure they would sound quite nice indeed in the ZP3. . . for what that's worth.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 01/05/18 at 21:37:52

I just got that "National" 6085 tube I bought for $20 on ebay.  It's made in France!  That's a first for me.  Anybody know anything about French tubes?  Ooo la la!   Kiss

I'll pop it in my ZP3 while I wait on my ZROCK2.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 01/07/18 at 03:16:54

I’ve had my ZROCK2 for just about two weeks.  The difference it has made is HUGE!  Strongly recommended.

By the way, I’m running the Siemens ECC82 Nickel Plate.  With this tube in complement with the others in my CSP3 and UFO2, amongst all the other benefits, the sound stage is truly 3D.  Width, depth and forward projection of the soundstage (not forward sounding) is exactly what I’ve been trying to achieve for a very long time.

So one would think I would stop there, as any sane person would.  Thanks to all of you buggers (term of endearment), and your comments about the 6085, I came across a Siemens 6085 and I just have to scratch that itch.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 01/07/18 at 16:23:26

Great to read Joman....I'm getting closer to mine.

Acetone, looks like yours shipped off the build sheet?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #76 - 01/07/18 at 18:21:39

Hard for me to keep from wanting to comment on how happy I am with the ZROCK's ability to give what is needed dependent for each recording to my system. I am listening to the Rolling Stones Some Girls right now, this is the type of music that was difficult to listen to on my system before and now I can actually really enjoy listening to it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #77 - 01/07/18 at 18:45:10

Please do keep commenting SS. You're the original whom then sent his in for the 2 upgrade. Although you are LP based and I'm CD based/others are reporting CD success.....I look forward to grabing CD's like Some Girls and enjoying them through my ZMA.

I think half of my 1100 CD collection will be relevant again. We have to live in the world the way it is (our Recordings). Not in the way we wish it was (like our well recorded Recordings).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #78 - 01/07/18 at 19:14:39

I find what makes me want to comment is my poor recordings. My well recorded stuff always sounded great but even it is blowing me away now, you know when you are listening and you sit up because you hear even more into the recording and more is reveled, or you look around because you hear things in the room that weren't there before. It kind of startles me sometimes, funny.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 01/08/18 at 00:21:28

I just bought a Philips 6085 with gold pins and made in Holland.  Looks new and I'm hoping it's pretty much the same as Amperex.  Paid $33.50 which isn't bad if it's equivalent.  I've got that National -- made in France, 6085 in my ZP3 while I'm waiting for my ZROCK2 and I like what it does there.  I'd be interested if others have tried these tubes as alternates to the 12AU7 in the ZP3.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #80 - 01/09/18 at 16:36:47

I bet that is about the same as the Amperex.

My Audio Magic fuse has the recommended hours on it now and after some crucial listening I've found I prefer the RCA tube that Steve sent by a hair. It has a touch of midrange richness that compliments the sound of the system overall with the new fuse in place, and a slightly less forward presentation. Those who are detail hungry and like a bit more upfront presentation would prefer the 6085 here.

Excellent clear sound from the system now with just the right touch of warmth with just a little EQ A added to the good and great recordings, and more judicious EQ tuning to the others. The ZROCK2 really has helped my overall musical enjoyment.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #81 - 01/09/18 at 18:14:16

I would have to agree with your assessment of the 6085 compared to the tube Steve sent.
I prefer the 6085 because I already have a full rich tone and like the little added detail and forwardness of this tube.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 01/09/18 at 18:24:38

Right. So much is system dependent! And with a different tube complement in my ZTPRE and or Torii Mk III the 6085 will no doubt be the best choice. Nice to have options!

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #83 - 01/09/18 at 18:57:42

Exactly why I like tube gear, more options to tailor the sound to our own unique likes and dislikes, our rooms, and of course our hearing. Listening to Steely Dan Aja right now, ridiculous.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #84 - 01/11/18 at 18:35:07

Mine is in packing.....I think Decware ships on Monday's.....so I hope to have later next week.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #85 - 01/12/18 at 14:23:50

Damn. I could have had my ZR2 for tomorrow/potentially. However, I bumped it to Monday.

Busy weekend! Going to Vikings against the Saints! I just put my ETYMOTIC Research ear plugs out, so I won't forget them. Home field advantage db level's.....off the charts! Drew Brees better have his ear piece in tight.....the rest of his offense won't be able to hear his calls though.....Booo YA!

Doing a stress test on Monday too....all should go well...then go get my ZR2.  So, I have to behave myself at the game.....only one Beer.  :'(

The New Years Eve Day game I went too was -14 degree's for my 6 block walk to the Stadium. This game will be 15 above....a relative heat wave!  Potential snow all day though....outside...72 degree's on the inside with natural Sun Light through the glass. Truly is a beautiful Venue.  Acoustics?   TOTAL Horse s--t.

Sharp rocks / waterfall....bring it on....we will defend the NORTH!

Winning is Special ~ because it is never guaranteed.

.....should have the ZR2 seasoning in by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #86 - 01/12/18 at 16:12:55

Stone,  Your gonna love it. Took 3 - 4 days (20hrs approx.) for the Zrock to settle in. Riding the gain on my Zstage into the Zrock, then making fine adjustments on the Zrock helps greatly Lp to Lp and Cd to CD. Zrock is, no doubt, here to stay in the signal path!!
It's gonna be a long game...maybe two beers, Enjoy!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #87 - 01/12/18 at 16:31:08

Mine is on the bench!  I already have the cables purchased and ready to connect!  I little more waiting.  

Glad you are enjoying yours Ace!  There is not double I will experience the same level of improvement you and others have reported.  Good to hear from you and I hope you and your family are doing well.

And Stone, a playoff game.  How amazing!  One beer huh?  At a playoff game?  Man, a test of will power if I have ever hear one. lol.  Have a blast and may your dream prevail.  My Rams are out  :(

EDIT (30 seconds later):  Just got an email that it is now "Testing."  Even better Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 01/12/18 at 17:08:43

Thanks guys! You know I can't wait to get this implemented!

I have my other pair of KS1030's in wait.

LOL!  Who am I kidding, guys....peer pressure and all....plus the atmosphere in there and pregame outside....is going to be absolutely electric......2 or 3 beers will be in order!

Yeah, the dream is there....we don't like to talk about it....like when a pitcher is doing a no hitter..... .

PS-J of A....that new joint Stadium from the old Hollywood Park grounds for the Charger's/Rams (2020)...is going to be something.....and you know the Rams will contend next year as they did this year.....impressively.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #89 - 01/13/18 at 15:30:38

Just when I thought Zrock was settled in it improves...immensely!
Put on two LP's last night and the bass was awesome, soundstage wider - deeper - taller, more air around each instrument, more details flushed out of the mix. I was in bliss. Have not heard these LP's ever sound this good. Peter Hammill -"the silent corner and the empty stage" & Thinking Plague - "Moonsongs" (plague mix was especially great). Can't wait to spin more vinyl tonite. Off this A.M. to brew my next batch of homebrew.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 01/13/18 at 16:07:48

Ace-Tone wrote on 01/13/18 at 15:30:38:
Just when I thought Zrock was settled in it improves...immensely!
Put on two LP's last night and the bass was awesome, soundstage wider - deeper - taller, more air around each instrument, more details flushed out of the mix. I was in bliss. Have not heard these LP's ever sound this good. Peter Hammill -"the silent corner and the empty stage" & Thinking Plague - "Moonsongs" (plague mix was especially great). Can't wait to spin more vinyl tonite. Off this A.M. to brew my next batch of homebrew.

That's rocking good news! It will get better still I think in the next week or so. Mine really has become a new gateway into the sound of my system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 01/13/18 at 16:18:31

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what the ZROCK II brings to both my systems.  Right now watching the film "The Human Comedy" but plan to get some Vinyl Therapy in before I watch Bullitt this evening. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 01/13/18 at 16:28:44

Bullitt to Chalmers:

"You work your side of the street, and I'll work mine."

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 01/13/18 at 16:32:04

I predict you're going to dig it Mark. I believe it will be the icing on the frequency balance cake.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #94 - 01/15/18 at 18:23:06

Wow, ......NOT GOOD.... .

I have distortion...absolutely unlistenable!

In bypass it is fine.

When switched to use it....both in A and B modes/switch on the back....all distortion....as you raise the gain knob from 0 to the first audibility and higher.  
...................................can't even approach unity gain.... ....not that matters........ .

Not a good day to leave and have a stress test in two hours!   Roll Eyes  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #95 - 01/15/18 at 18:25:19

That's odd. Not sure what could be happening. Try lowering the output from your DSD and be sure the tube is properly seated in the socket. . . . Get Steve on the phone otherwise. Mine was flawless from the start.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #96 - 01/15/18 at 18:31:11

The ROCK's input should handle up to ....I forget how many input volts Steve set it at....now.....the 2 version.

Should handle the ZDSD no problem.   I will try what you mentioned Lon.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #97 - 01/15/18 at 18:32:32

15 volts is what Steve told me. Are you using your ARC preamp?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #98 - 01/15/18 at 18:36:00

I tried it at unity gain and then turning up my gain on my ZMA....total distortion.

I will check the seating of the tube....pretty damn sure it is in all the way.

I need to leave for now....head to Dr.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #99 - 01/15/18 at 18:38:36

Well, if it needs my ARC Line Stage....then I have no need for it....I want to run it:

ZDSD to ROCK to ZMA.

Steve makes no mention that a Preamplifier is mandatory.

Done for today.....  . Got to head out.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063