03/28/24 at 15:19:44 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
ZROCK2 (Read 18267 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK2
Reply #200 - 03/01/18 at 16:49:16

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I'm not looking for treble roll off and my impression was that the A curve didn't really have any.  I'll need to play around more with the A setting with more advanced knob turning.

One thing I found last night was that I think I understand what Steve means when he talks about "shimmer."  I was listening to Emmylou Harris, who always sounds great on my system, but now she had a "shimmer," for lack of any other way of describing it!  It was if I was looking at the sparkling of a diamond but now the diamond was absolutely clean.   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 03/02/18 at 19:36:13

I am very pleased with this ZR2 so far.  I'm not sure if the A/B curves are what I expected though.  The A curve (switch up) seems to offer increased bass until there is too much while the B curve (switch down) seems to give me a midrange bloom in addition to the bass increase before finally overloading the bass.  I've emailed Steve to see if this is what should be happening or if there is a chance my switch is reversed so up would be B and down would be A.  

A year or two ago I bought a new, 180 gram, U2 "War" lp that I played once because it sounded anemic, really awful.  With the ZR2 it improved enough to be almost good, definitely listenable.  I find that I diddle with the knob at the start of each lp but that it seems to stay in the 2 to 3 o'clock position, for that U2 album though, I had to crank over to 4 o'clock.  There is plenty of extra capacity left regardless.

I haven't tube rolled at this point.  To those that do, do you unplug the ZR2 before pulling the tube?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #202 - 03/02/18 at 22:49:24

I don't. I turn off the amp but don't unplug the ZROCK2.

Man we got 10 inches of snow overnight and we lost our power at 11 p.m. Just got it back! Was a long cold day.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #203 - 03/03/18 at 00:13:36

Lon, just to clarify, you change tubes while the ZR2 is powered up?  I turn things off before changing tubes but I was wondering if the ZR2 can be retubed when on.  I leave the ZR2 on 24/7 generally.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #204 - 03/03/18 at 01:05:28

That's correct Archie. I'm a daredevil . . I've done it probably dozens of times, no ill effect.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #205 - 03/03/18 at 01:07:43

Archie. I always turn off the Amps but I've done it both ways with the ZROCK II on or unplugged.  I think both are safe.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #206 - 03/03/18 at 01:21:10

Thanks guys.  That was the answer I was hoping for.  Steve scared me with the big caps on the ZMA and the OA3 POP you can get even when off!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #207 - 03/05/18 at 00:13:23

I popped in the "Amperex" 6085 and what an increase in gain!  I had to dial back my CSP3 a couple clicks.  So far I like this tube.  I liked the stock tube too though.  I'm easy to please.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #208 - 03/05/18 at 01:39:15

Yes, it's a corker!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #209 - 03/06/18 at 16:26:48

I'm still preferring the B setting by a wide margin.  My impression is that most prefer the A setting.  Any other B fans?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #210 - 03/06/18 at 16:30:44

Hey Archie,  I prefer the B setting. I've gotten to the point where settings are now dialed in for most CD's & LP's. But, I still do need to make adjustments to the ZR2 and Zstage on some recordings. The A darkened the sound too much for my liking. B setting preserves mids and highs much more to my tastes.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 03/06/18 at 16:52:43

That's my experience too.  I tweak the setting but it generally stays between 2 and 3 o'clock.  With A I don't get bloom in the lower mid range and it does go dark, as you find, quickly.

It's interesting that you say the B setting preserves the highs more than A (which is my finding as well) since the B curve is supposed to roll off the treble.  Steve said my results were in line with what to expect and that my ZR2 was wired correctly.  That's why I'm a little confused.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #212 - 03/06/18 at 17:26:09

I think B is working correctly, it does reduce highs near the end of the slope. It just has way way too much bass at that point in my system and perhaps yours that you can't really use it that far into the EQ. What I need for my system again is a Treble Cut Circuit. With that B is manageable and A could be used more sparingly. I hope to have that circuit to use for tailoring in my 25th Anniversary Monoblocks.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 03/06/18 at 17:42:15

Lon, yes, I asked in an earlier post if with the ZR2 you still needed the treble cut circuit.  Now I understand why you still do.  I think your analysis is spot on.  Ultimately it doesn't matter which curve, A or B, just what sounds best.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #214 - 03/06/18 at 17:59:17

I definitely want to have that excellent circuit. I am getting along without it with the Taboo Mk IV with judicious tube-rolling but with the circuit I could roll different tubes for different textures and not have to "darken" the sound with quite as much EQ A, or use EQ B and manage the treble with less bass increase.

I'm listening to amazing sound right now and I should be quite happy as is! But Steve really got to me with his Anniversary amp listening impressions. I sure do want to hear the UFO3-25 Monoblocks now!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 03/07/18 at 00:26:32

Does the treble cut work like the ZR2 in that it is variable from zero to some maximum?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #216 - 03/07/18 at 01:14:22

Yes, that's how it works, adjustable, it shunts the treble to ground bit by bit.

IP Logged
gwng8
Verified Member

Reply #217 - 03/13/18 at 16:04:14

Is this the sort of thing that is more suited for certain systems?  My system is McIntosh C500T, Pass labs monoblocks & Tannoy Kensingtons.  The Tannoys aren't the best for bass, and my room is not good, irregular and all hardwood, so I'm really craving some more bottom end and overall impact.  I hate to keep throwing money at it......

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 03/13/18 at 17:28:18

I really think you'll like the ZROCK2.  I don't think it's system specific.  If you read closely, it just pushes up the frequency response in the low and mid range.  It will boost your bass.  I get a nice bass and lower mid boost that can become flabby and dark if I put in too much.

That's my 2 cents.  Other's may know more about how your system might respond.  The easiest is to call Steve.  He'll set you straight either way.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #219 - 03/13/18 at 21:57:10

Mark: I agree with Archie. I think that the ZROCK2 will be a boon to your system. I am sure with a little experimentation you'll find sound that you really really like.

In my case I couldn't listen to my Taboo Mk IV with my HR-1 speakers without the ZROCK2. Without the ZROCK2 headphone playback in the Taboo Mk IV is perfect frequency balance wise, but in my room. . .the sound is thinner and with far more treble than I'd like. The ZROCK2 fixes that, plain and simple, with little adjustments from time to time. I can't wait to try it with the 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 mono blocks I have on order.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #220 - 03/14/18 at 12:58:16

I would agree with Archie and Lon.  I’m running Omega S3HOXRS speakers.  One would think that speakers with a pair of 4.5” drivers would not have much in the way of bass.  Prior to having the ZR2 I thought it was pretty good.  With the ZR2 everything changed so much so that the only reason I would think about adding a sub is for added bass extension for the few instruments that actually go below 40 Hz and right now I rarely think about that and if I do it’s a fleeting thought.

Right now the system is in a large “live” room similar to what you have described.  While I can’t predict what will happen with your system it’s interesting that Archie, Lon and I have similar results with systems that in ways are quite different from each other.

Only one way to know for sure and for the money spent it’s worth a try IMO.

IP Logged
gwng8
Verified Member

Reply #221 - 03/14/18 at 15:34:13

I appreciate the responses.  It certainly sounds like something that could fix, or help my situation, but it's expensive and still an unknown to me.  Plus I'll need 2 more rca cables, while my system  is balanced......arrgh.  :)

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 03/14/18 at 17:14:53

Lon and I use the HR1s which are really good with bass in general.  What surprised me was how much MORE bass I'm now getting.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
gwng8
Verified Member

Reply #223 - 03/15/18 at 18:40:06

Fair enough, but this isn't like buying a Cd player or an amp.  This is an unknown entity.....I'm not sure about laying out $1000+.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #224 - 03/15/18 at 18:58:50

True. Get your most recent purchases in hand and settled in and then you'll have a better idea of what you need and if the ZROCK2 fits that bill and is worth the order and/or return.

I hesitated and even canceled an order when I was offered a used ZTPRE during the order period and decided I probably wouldn't need the ZROCK2 as much if I had the ZTPRE. Which was in some ways true. But the reports of the ZROCK2 kept reeling me in and when I received one I found it exceeded my expectations as an EQ device and became the tuning center point of my system. AND it has enabled me to use the Taboo Mk IV with my HR-1 speakers and remove the Torii Mk III from the system and allowing me to go back to the Single-ended amp sound, which has been a real ear-opener and pleasure. I simply could not do this without the ZROCK2, it's needed to make the Taboo Mk IV the right tone machine it now is for me.

So makes sense to keep the idea of a ZROCK2 on the back burner for now, but do think of trying it later . . . .

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 03/16/18 at 13:18:27

The ZR2 as a component may be considered an unknown at this time but what it is designed to do is not an unknown.  The graphic equalizer, parametric equalizer, loudness circuits and what these are designed to do is well known but largely fell out of favor with “purists”... perhaps for good reason in many cases.  

I have found that even if I audition well known products in a sound room, the end result in my space remains an unknown until I actually get the system.  I have also had the ‘interesting’ experience of having to rethink what I thought were accepted ‘knowns’.

My conclusion based on my experience over the years is that making buying decisions on the basis of known brands, ‘expert’ reviews etc., is very limiting and can prevent one from achieving a satisfying end result.  I’m not dismissive of these factors but they are not the be all and end all, perhaps a starting point.  Of course one of the biggest limiting factors is the budgets that we work with.  

All of the above are part of the ‘fun’ of this hobby IMO... in for a penny... in for a pound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print