Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:03:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4-pin XLR headphone extension cable? (Read 7028 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

4-pin XLR headphone extension cable?
07/08/17 at 16:33:38

Anyone know of a really good 4-pin XLR headphone extension cable? I know that Marketek sells one, and I have it, it's Canare cable and basic Neutrik connectors and is reasonably priced and sounds good. . . . But when I compare it to the Cardas wire cable I have for my Audeze headphones or the UPOCC copper cable for my Oppo headphones it does dull the sound a bit. . . I'd rather not do that, but for some of my listening I need 3 or more feet of extension. . . .

I think this would be something nice for Steve to build and offer and have suggested it. But in the meantime I haven't really found options under 100 dollars or so to purchase.  . . except ones made with silver-plated copper, which for me is a no-no. High quality copper or silver, but not plated, is what works best in my system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: 4-pin XLR headphone extension cable?
Reply #1 - 07/08/17 at 18:25:11

These might be worth a look if you haven't already seen them.

https://doublehelixcables.com/products/headphone-cables/
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/09/17 at 02:09:19

Thanks. I've seen these. Pricier than I want to pay, and they don't seem to offer an extension cable, just cables for the headphones. I have that covered, need an extension of 3' or so.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/17 at 04:09:26

I figured you maybe had. I was under the impression they do custom cables so an extension would be no problem.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/09/17 at 08:21:55

Thanks. I'll inquire. . . I think it would be more than I want to pay.

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #5 - 07/10/17 at 18:19:36

Lon, I have a 15' 4-pin for Audeze headphones. It is a Silver Dragon from Moon Audio and makes a nice match for my 2s. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/10/17 at 18:26:33

Interesting. I've heard good things about those cables but they looked to be more than I wanted to spend when I opted for one made from Cardas wire (which sounds great).

I'll contact you.

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #7 - 07/15/17 at 11:41:28

Mission accomplished.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/15/17 at 12:50:58

Yes Rob, thanks. More than I wanted to spend initially, but a great deal and sale, and a very nice cable, and the best solution to my issue. Thanks!

Interestingly a different window into the sound than the cable with Cardas wire I have been using this year. I like both "versions" of playback! But the longer length makes the Silver Dragon the one more likely in use.

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #9 - 07/17/17 at 00:40:45

What is the major difference between the Cardas and the Silver Dragon?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/17/17 at 00:54:34

In my case the important difference was the cable made from Cardas wire (important to note this was built by an individual, was not aa cable sold by Cardas) was 10' long and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon was 15' long. Smiley I needed a longer cable.

The other difference is. . . well I think the cable made with Cardas wire may either be more neutral or slightly warmer. The headphones are supposed to be a bit "dark" and I considered them just about perfect with the cable made with Cardas wire as I like dark and slightly warm. The Silver Dragon is tailored to brighten and open up the headphones a bit and it does. I like both presentations to be honest, and I also like that I have them both. I can use the Cardas to sit in a chair off to the side and listen to music, but it is not long enough to use for watching things from my DVR or blu-ray player. So I can use the Silver Dragon for that purpose and at present as it's new to me I'm using it for all purposes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print