Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:17:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
choosing the right Edcor transformer for 220v (Read 4171 times)
Alvaro Oliver
Verified Member

choosing the right Edcor transformer for 220v
06/30/17 at 17:50:11

Hello everyone,

I am Alvaro from Chile and I am just beginning with DIY audio projects. My first adventure was to build a Bottlehead Crack and I was so happy with the result that I'm already planning on building a Zkit1 in dual mono bridged configuration.

In this kit documentation the recommend power transformer is Edcor XPWR107 with a 240v primary, but here in Chile the voltage is 220v and checking the Edcor site I found the model XPWR172 which has a 220v primary and the following secondary:

600V (300-0-300) at 200mA center tapped, 6.3V at 6A and 5V at 3A.

As you can see, it has an additional 5v output that would be left unused and also has higher current specifications.

My question is whether it will be better to use this transformer specified for 220v despite having an additional secondary or to stick with the recommended one despite this voltage difference of 9% on the primary.

Does using a 220v transformer instead of 240v ensure output voltages closer to those specified?

I hope you can help this newbie.

Best regards,

Alvaro

IP Logged
Alvaro Oliver
Verified Member

Re: choosing the right Edcor transformer for 220v
Reply #1 - 07/13/17 at 19:29:56

Well, as no one answered my question I finally took a chance and bought the model XPWR172 with 220v input. Now to wait 6 long weeks to be dispatched.

I'll tell you how it turned out once it's built.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 07/13/17 at 21:09:38

Hi Alvaro,

Sorry I didn't see this post come in when you originally posted it.  To answer your question, it would be better with 220V to go with a 220V primary.  Using a 240V primary with 220V supply would drop the secondary voltage considerably.  The amplifier would still work of course, but put out less power.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions, I'll try to keep a better eye on things!

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Alvaro Oliver
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/13/17 at 21:55:40

Thank you Steve!

Just what I thought. I'm glad I did not screw up.

And please do not worry about not answering before, it's just that I was a little anxious to buy the transformers (six weeks of waiting is an eternity to me).

Best regards.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print