Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:27:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Digital Primer - to get you started (Read 6927 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

A Digital Primer - to get you started
06/27/17 at 17:28:18

I found this web page, and thought it was a good resource to get people started in Digital Audio. There is also a section specifically for setting up Foobar2000 which for many is the defacto (Free) Windows playback software.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

I'm reading through the blogs myself, and picking up little details here and there I didn't know about.  I'll post more such guides as I uncover them.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: A Digital Primer - to get you started
Reply #1 - 06/28/17 at 03:11:36

I thought digital was simple?  Put the CD in the drawer and press play... won't read it... CD is upside-down.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 06/28/17 at 16:48:16

Good one. It is upside down! Flip it over and you're good to go.

Someday, I will get pushed into computer audio. The physical media we know as the CD will probably disappear and I will have no choice but to download, for new music.

Right now though, if I can buy the Redbook.....I'm loving my ZDSD to ZMA, my Cabling and NOS Platinum Tube Rolling in both my ARC & ZMA....using ZMA solo or with Line Stage.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 06/28/17 at 17:19:59

When I do decide to get into it.....it will be Steve's NT (or latest version Player) with build in ZBIT (as sure as I own my ZDSD).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/28/17 at 17:30:03

Quote:
I thought digital was simple?  Put the CD in the drawer and press play... won't read it... CD is upside-down.

I'm old enough to remember having to tell people, shiny side down...and having to actually do so!

I'm happy to be the one to educate on how digital works. There is still a lot for me to wrap my head around...though most of it is memorization of formats and what works with what.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 06/28/17 at 20:23:06

unless you owned/own a Pioneer stable platter based player, in which, shiny side goes up... Theta Digital and other brands also used the Pioneer stable platter drive.  In this drive, the laser is on top, looking down, so that, for one thing, dust doesn't collect on the laser optics.  And the entire CD disc was supported by a platter, like a small turntable, and clamped from above by a magnetic clamp in the center of the disc.  A really good "logical" design.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/28/17 at 20:39:08

Yes, that was a good transport design.

For me digital means mainly playing discs. Still works for me and I have so many of them that if they stop making them it really won't matter.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #7 - 06/28/17 at 23:10:31

I started buying CD's back in the 80's and I'm still adding to the collection. Back in the 70's I had a Nakamichi cassette deck and used to make my own mix tapes by recording the tracks from different LP's and CD's.  When the Nak finely died I gave up on cassettes but missed making mix tapes.  

A few years back I bought my Bluesound Vault.  I ripped my entire CD collection to its hard drive.  The best part is I can now make my own playlists and save them if I want.  Better then a mix tape because I can change it by adding or removing tracks on the fly.  The sound quality from the Vault is actually better then playing the same CD's on my Marantz player.
The convenience of picking any album or song from my collection and playing it is awesome.  I control it all from my listening chair using my iPad.  Call me lazy, but I'm not going back to spinning CD's.  When I buy one now I rip it to the Vault and put it on the shelf.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print