Send Topic Print
ZROCK (Read 5775 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ZROCK
06/23/17 at 04:53:38

I mentioned earlier that we were running out of the power transformers that we use in the ZBOX and ZSTAGE and now recently the ZROCK.

We are going to take the opportunity to make changes as we replace the current transformer design with something a little different. The new transformers will have two fundamental changes; 1) a 6.3 Volt heater configuration allowing us to change from a 12AU7 low mu tube to a 6922 medium mu tube.  2) Higher available voltage. This will have no real change on the current ZBOX, ZSTAGE, or ZROCK, but will open the door for future products that need a tad more voltage.

If you have a ZBOX or ZSTAGE and for example think it would be a good idea to "update" the power transformer to this new model, you would be wrong. Don't mess with it.

Back the ZROCK. Having several sold the feedback is fairly consistent in that everyone seems more than OK with the way it functions.  

The way it functions is this: There are two EQ settings and a bypass switch. There is also an output level control.  When the unit is bypassed, there is no gain. When the unit is not bypassed there is a fair amount of gain, which adds to the punch and density.

I recently sent out a coupon for ZROCK's and have quite a few on the waiting list.  These people will all be getting a little surprise as I plan to send them a ZROCK2.

A ZROCK2 is simply the second and probably final version. There are two fundamental changes.  1) The amount of EQ is now variable. There will be 20 possible settings from no effect, to max effect.  When in the no effect end of things, it becomes a ZSTAGE aka straight wire with gain.  2) There is no bypass switch now, because when the effect level is set to minimum there is no need to bypass.  This leaves the tube stage in play at all times.  

The output level control on the ZROCK becomes an effects level control on the ZROCK2.  You just dial in how much bass restoration you want - on the fly - as you listen making a ZROCK2 compatible with literally all systems.  Sure to be the ultimate black box we've done so far.  Yes, and before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, a ZROCK can be updated to a ZROCK2 if it were needed using the original power supply allowing you to keep the 12AU7 tube that you're using.  ZROCK2's will use the 6922 or 6N1P or 6DJ8 family of tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK
Reply #1 - 06/23/17 at 08:57:22

Steve,
As one of the guys on the waiting list, I can definitely say that I'm excited by what I'm hearing. I think that the ZRock will be a great addition to my dedicated R&R system!
Randy

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/17 at 23:23:04

Steve,

This is fantastic. Thank you for the impromptu phone call on Friday, what a treat! This improved design really is awesome, thanks for the update!

Have a great evening.

-Ron

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/05/17 at 21:21:15

I'm now on the list too (well sort of, I placed an order but I don't yet appear on the list). I'm eager to hear what this will do for playback of the Taboo Mk IV coupled to my HR-1 speakers.

I'll try this with the CSP2+ and I'm interested to try it with the ZBIT as well--that might be a very good combination!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/09/17 at 01:44:36

Sarah and Steve answered my questions and my order is in and on the build list page. I decided to try the Type 2 Beeswax caps (copper film) as these seem so wonderful in my Taboo Mk IV. And the Silver input and output jacks. . . those are such nice jacks.

I'm eager to try the ZROCK2 with my ZBIT and my CSP2+ into the Taboo Mk IV, see which works best and whether the resulting sound will give my Taboo Mk IV that little bit that it lacks to be THE power amp for my system. To think I went from wondering why the heck I would want a product like this to ordering one all decked out in a few months!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #5 - 08/11/17 at 09:34:43

ZRock will be my last addition to my system. I love my system as it is, the problem is, 15” drivers requires more kick on the bass side than normal size drivers. I’m sure the issue is the same, Fletcher-Munson curves -theory ( http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=loudnesscontrol_ts ). I really hope that ZROCK2 will slove this problem, and I know it will. The only thing that I am afraid of is that will there be any unwanted side effects to the sound? Can’t wait to find out 🤤

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print