Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:31:05 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Always enjoying the journey & music (Read 38062 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Always enjoying the journey & music
Reply #50 - 07/20/17 at 16:48:50

Ditto, with this Line Amplifier.....you have to really listen to hear the one click step back. I was thinking about driving it across town (ARC ~ Plymouth, MN), to have StealthCap's put in it and for a checkup. No need for now.
.....but like you know....without it.....I'm a titch' closer. However, once again, what the ARC brings to the party with the ZMA wide open/full input gain....is fun/good stuff too (and even backed off to 80% of input gain).

My Actual unit:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649353546-audio-research-ls2b-mkii-line-stere...

http://www.trt-wonder.com/page20.html

......I just can't let it drive me nuts. As I've said before, with Pre and without is a beautiful thing. However, with the ZDSD output designed by the Master himself to go into my ZMA direct....provides the extra few percent that is a titch more tangible...it is hard to put the Line Stage back in. Then I do put it in......and the ARC brings a few virtues back in I dig.....especially with my Mullard of choice in it feeding my ZMA input Mull's with Telefunken inverter's...... . I will just have to suffer to Pre or not to Pre...........  ;D Cool.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT Kimber KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Pre w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic
(ARC Pre rotated in and out)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain ~ w/ZDSD
ZMA adjusted at  80-90% or 100% gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/4 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #51 - 08/18/17 at 17:10:15

It truly is the Zen Mystery Amplifier (Class A & pushing into AB1).

I have five different ZMA's.....running it direct from ZDSD and tube rolling input pairs.

I have another (and probably more~I need to tube roll more besides my single Mullard in it right now) Mystery Amp, driving it with my ARC LS-2B MkII. Density and detail within that density.....grip/control....no ear fatigue at high SPL.

I can fly close to the sun.....when I want too!  .......bask in her Corona. I can bask in her Corona....driving direct to ZMA.....however, I can get just a little closer to the Sun.....when I want too.....with the LS-2B Line Staging for me.   .....but, don't get to close, right?  I know when to back off.....that is how powerful this Line Stage ARC amplifier is............ .

Why ARC went with the 6H30 tube..... ....I'm firmly in the hybrid/Class A, single 6922 variant CAMP.....among so many other people!

Peace/ALL, have a great weekend.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 08/18/17 at 19:12:07

However, as I have mentioned before (previous posts on this thread): Steve's ZDSD output stage voicing to ZMA voicing is ART. It is very special for me. All that a very good Line Stage can do for me, whether one of Steve's or this preferred ARC.....is present a different perspective flavor/when I want. The ZDSD running directly to my ZMA is so transparently special and musical.

In reading a recent interview of Nelson Pass....he stated: "I am certainly aware that all this is just entertainment, mine and yours. The objective needs of amplifier users are largely solved on a practical level, and as Marshall McLuhan perceptively noted, we turn our technology into art."

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3