Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:38:55 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Always enjoying the journey & music (Read 37711 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Always enjoying the journey & music
06/13/17 at 14:56:40

As my subject line states..... .

My summer lineup:

I continue to compare my DM947 Monoliths to my modified Adagio's (two month's now). I am able to play louder with more dynamic's with my Adagio's. Plus, I find the PX Clarity Caps in the DM's to bright with an edge most times.
However, I probably will put Mundorf MCap Supremes or Silver Oils in the DM's and hear how that goes.....to compete against my Adagio's with Mundorf's.....
.....make no mistake, the DM's are holographic speakers.....with an awesome 3.3 cap(s) in them....it is just a matter of personal taste....as some have upgraded caps in the ERRx's, these, etc..... .
.....my Caintuck Audio OB Bass 15" Alpha integrates beautifully with either pair with volume gain adjustment on the Plate Amp. The DM's being just slightly more sensitive......

My TEAC NT-503 has been shelved, until I get my ZBIT.....because my internal ZBIT output of my ZDSD is superior to the NT out.....

However, while I wait for my ZBIT in August.....after spending and recollecting on my time with an Audio Research LS-17 SE (last summer)......I concluded that I did not care for the 6H30 tubes. So, I told myself if you find the right fair deal on an used classic....with your favorite 6922 tube (I get to rotate and find the best of my NOS Plat's for the LS/single 6922).....get it. I did. I have an Audio Research LS-2B MKII (with Remote) coming tomorrow!  
.....I get to put the LS in and out of the System, till my ZBIT arrives and put the internal NT Pre w/outboard adjustable ZBIT vs. ZDSD+internal ZBIT/AR Pre LS-2B MKII.....
+, the AR Pre running to the ZBIT.....
{cool part is....if I want to upgrade/put StealthCaps in my LS-2B....AR is only 25 miles away from me.....I can drop it off/no shipping}!
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_stealth.html
....I would need to see what their markup on the Caps, plus labor, would be vs. other local options....+, how about Jupiter Caps...like Steve's awesome ZMA & CSP3.
AR does service everything they have ever made...except CD laser pickups.....

......and of course, my base line is my ZDSD run direct into ZMA....adjusting ZMA input gain.....pure beauty...how the ZDSD does it to ZMA.

Anyone, rotating and experimenting with different gear this summer?

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD or NT
{Significant}

TEAC NT-503 (stock)
PCM 44.1 input D-60 Coax, up-convert/DSD and Digital filter of 50k
variable output volume from internal Preamplifier via Remote Control

~~OR~~

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

......additional Kimber KS1030 to Audio Research Pre w/remote LS-2B MKII
(rotated in and out)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain ~ w/ZDSD
ZMA adjusted at about 80-90% gain ~ w/NT-503, running variable Pre (unbalanced-no ZBIT yet)/volume via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified) w/Caintuck 15" OB
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

~~OR~~

Decware DM947 Monoliths/4 ohm (Midrange modification/Wave Guide)
w/PX Clarity Caps
Kimber Silver (AG) Jumper's to Tweeter's
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/4 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, AR Pre, NT-503 and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Always enjoying the journey & music
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 15:10:17

Nope, I'm keeping the same gear in the main system and the only upcoming item is a Taboo Mk IV (on order 11 weeks now still not in build status) that will replace the Taboo Mk III in my main system.

I've found my bliss in the main system and know when to stop!

I have set up a second system upstairs and I'm going to use it to run through my excess equipment and determine which to set up and use upstairs (want to just run a headphone/small speaker system) and which to put into storage or sell. It's a little fun. I'm waiting on some speaker wire as the wire I have on hand (PS Audio xStream Statement in 6' and 10' lengths) is EXCELLENT but too stiff to work in this situation; I've ordered some Belden 9497 wire.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 15:20:44

Cool Lon, you have some fun stuff going on. Especially with the Mk IV Taboo coming. 11 weeks? I guess Decware is pretty busy.....and my ZBIT might be an September arrival.....so be it. I have plenty to keep me busy as stated above.

Plus, psssst, you know about the other fun summer happening....you commented on it....."awesome."

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/13/17 at 15:59:44

Yes, this wait is. . . not easy. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the ZBIT! I like the output of my DSD DAC either way, but it really sparks up the TV/Blu-ray output (which has a bit less fidelity from the sources than the Redbook/SACD output from the DMP) and that gets a lot of use.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/13/17 at 17:26:23

I almost have enough for two completely "high end" systems. With the latest PS Audio DirectStream update, I'm going to be swapping gear in and out of my main system to see what (reevaluate everything) with this newfound resolution. Add to that, the Bridge II update will support MQA, and Sprint (my cell provider) is doing a six months free Tidal - and Roon supports Tidal, so it looks like I'll have more to play with on the software side!

Also, I came into a little bit of money, so I went ahead and picked up the TEAC NT-503 for myself! I expect to arrive this Thursday the latest. This also prompts me to get off my arse, paint and rewire the spare bedroom to make it a dedicated tiny listening room with wall to wall diffusion.  ;)

So.

System 1:

Roon core PC with the DirectStream (via Bridge II) as my endpoint -> ZMA via XLR, to the last pair of MG944. This is in my L shaped livingroom that currently has foam sound diffusers leaning up against the walls everywhere.

System 2: Work In Progress -

Roon core PC with (future) Teac NT-503 as the endpoint (not sure if I can do this since it's not officially a Roon endpoint like the DirectStream) -> Zen UFO via RCA cables (I might build my own ZBIT or install the XLR transformers in my Zen Amp in the future), to my 2008 Omega 8" Superhemp speakers. All that in my spare bedroom which will be a 10' x 11' x 8' dedicated audio room with wall to wall diffusers and bass traps as needed.

I have lots to do in the spare bedroom. Run dedicated circuit, upgraded outlet, run CAT6e, paint, and new carpet is *badly* needed. I'm also going to make the windows disappear by plugging them with removable foam insulation plugs, and I'm going to lower the noise floor by modifying the A/C vents with baffles to quiet them down. Lastly, I want to have some dimmable LED lighting that doesn't add noise to the 110v AC circuit - I'll maybe even make the lighting WiFi like in my home theater.  :)

Lots to do, and so little time - but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/13/17 at 17:38:04

Oh God I spent years listening in a room that size. . . NEVER AGAIN! I felt so liberated listening in a larger room and have been blessed to be able to do so in the living situations ever after.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 17:41:50

Awesome LR! This is what I like to read. Hey, I'm with Sprint....I need to get that deal Tidal/Roon?

.....and you got a NT!  Cool, you can educate me on how to use it....to its full potential.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 18:32:13

LR,.....and I'm in a spare bedroom, of almost exact size. We made our loft into a bedroom for guests.

.....wall to wall diffuser's is right!  I want to see yours when it's done....so I can upgrade my room treatement.

Lon, I totally get it with your HR1's...doing Omni. I'm in a big room for my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's. However, smaller rooms with treatment are best for my Adagio's and Decware M's, vs. having to treat my big room.

My ZMA could drive my two pair of Speak's well.....in a big room........but, I do not want to treat it.....or get different Speaker's. I enjoy my solid state Stereo Dimensional Array Polks and have Decware PAC-S's, out of my DVR, in the mix too. Plus, this System reminds me of how good my Listening Room System/2nd bedroom/treated is and is a keeper.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/13/17 at 18:35:42

Well, I'll just say I am NOT claustrophobic but being in that sort of a setup separated my music listening from the rest of my life and made it uncomfortably weird as a result, some thing I did for the hardware and the "soundscape" and I moved further and further from "loving the music."

Putting my system smack dab in my living area and incorporating all electronic elements of my listening and viewing in one center made music more a part of my whole life and fosters my "love of music." I'll never go back. . . willingly. . . to a small dedicated room setup.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 06/13/17 at 18:42:04

Totally get it.

I however, love the dedicated room...my oasis.

My Rig downstairs is no slouch and my girl loves Vinyl with it and my modest T-Table.  Extended family and a few friends I actually allow in...get a kick out of my HSU MBM behind the couch too....these stereo laymen, feel it and hear it.....they think it is cool.  Pleassse, it is what it is, compared to upstairs. Fun mid-fi though.

+ all the other fixins' HDTV, Blu-ray ......Sat radio....etc.... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 06/13/17 at 20:20:21

Oh, I get it too. I'm glad I don't have a woman living with me right now, because I'd be like....OK, I'm going to the dark room, to do dark things with music...in the dark...by myself...you know, the room with only one ikea chair in dark leather....I'll be there by myself listening till 2 or 3 in the morning.

Still, being able to do wall to wall room treatment, being able to paint the walls a dark stormy blue from floor to ceiling, and being able to block out ambient light and noise - nothing but Zen and speakers and Ikea Poang chair- yeah, this will work.

Unfortunately I just got a hint that my Peoria hotel may be going away. They've been warning me since early January that the hotel might close or no longer be a Marriott. If it does finally happen, that's a $550 a month cut in pay for me. (sigh) well, that means no new carpet, but I already bought the paint and have the styro diffusers.  :)

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 06/13/17 at 20:22:53

This will be me closing the doors to my listening room...except my interior will be darker.  :P

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 06/13/17 at 20:36:50

Well, the room treatment thing means nothing to me, and I won't hide myself away from the world or a partner into "darkness," sorry.

We're all different, but to me music as I go about my life AND when I focus only on it are something one system has to do at the heart of my home. And I don't want to live alone, done that, don't even want to wear the t-shirt any longer, and won't have to, I have someone who loves me. I'm so lucky I have the set up I do and that it allows me both to fill my activities with music and to focus on music when I want to. I sort of can understand how others might want a little room to close themselves off to with music, but we're all different and that's not for me.

Now back to Andrew Hill with Booker Ervin pouring out notes!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 06/14/17 at 01:07:33

Which is where the ZMA and the MG944 come in. I will soon be able to please myself both ways.  ;)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 06/14/17 at 15:35:34

LR, yeah, I need to get a new leather Listening Room Chair. Mine, is now 20 years old. I have had an Listening Room since 1995 and treated (fourth Room/location)! I bought my chair in May of 1997.  ......and as  both Poles melt & Plastics kill the Oceans Reefs and cut off the food supply to billions of coastals.....enjoy your music..... . Not much we can do about it....tick, tick, ....tick. I have 25 years out, projected/end....most of us will be dead by then anyway.
I wish the CURRENT Industrialist's of the last 25 to 40 year's (Exxon/Mobil knew), cared about their grandchildren and my children....but, to short sighted to get it. Or, maybe they all know and knew? T-25 years and counting.......... .
Anyway, I digress. Pardon my diatribe.

My Audio Research CLASSIC Preamplifier (LS-2B MkII w/Remote) arrives today between 11 and 3 pm!  .....I love FedEx.....great service around here...... .

So, why have two great pairs of Speaker's to rotate?
Modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's & Decware DM947 Monoliths
Why not?

Decware ZDSD w/Audio Research CLASSIC Preamplifier (LS-2B MkII w/Remote) & TEAC NT-503 Preamplifier w/DAC (Computer Audio pending)
Decware ZBIT coming........ .
Why not?

Caintuck Audio OB Bass 15" Eminence Alpha (love this OB integration)!
Why not?

Happy listening..........enjoy the journey!

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649353546-audio-research-ls2b-mkii-line-stere...

......ain't she pretty?!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 06/14/17 at 16:20:24

Quote:
Happy listening..........enjoy the journey!

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649353546-audio-research-ls2b-mkii-line-stere....

......ain't she pretty?!

I'm not familiar with that, when was it made? The circuit boards look like early '90s vintage designs. That's one hefty piece of gear!

Tracking shows my NT-503 showing up today from the santa in brown. I'm stuck at work late, and I have a side job for extra cash, so I won't be able to plug it in till late tonight. I'll probably be reporting back in the morning on it and how it works with Roon.

This weekend I clear out the spare bedroom, sand the walls and start painting!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 06/14/17 at 16:32:39

She is mid 90's. I will be upgrading the Caps (eventually) and whatever else she might need. Aslater, is a trusted and respected seller and having Audio Research just across town that repairs and respects every piece they have ever made.....including the glass boards warehoused (if one cracks~is amazing). I have been there 3 times....and it is cool to go back in the vault and shelving warehouse.....and they can grab a board from 1994, prestine!  Yes, she is one hefty piece of gear...those traces in those boards.....yeah....will see how damn transparent I can make it with upgrades....and if it ends up being my new Pre in my other Rig...that is pretty damn good too. I like its direct XLR input function, 6922 .....their output stage .....and at AR, adjustable voltage output...if I deem necessary.......or, can you say ZBIT ~ yes I can.
http://audioresearch.com/en-us/download
...just type in LS2B ~ or ~ Legacy Products Manuals - view all

Get home late and hook that NT up from UPS!  Thanks in advance LR, for getting me on track to feed my NT to reach its full potential..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 06/14/17 at 16:45:34

I'm not sure if I should be sad, or impressed with myself for guessing the age of a piece of hardware by looking at photos of the circuit boards. LOL

Those black and blue caps are electrolytic and could possibly need replacing, being 20+ years old, but they don't look swollen or anything. All those boxed orange and yellow caps will probably outlive you. Those two white music caps could be swapped out for something modern to see what happens.  ;)   The tube has probably seen light work but I'd swap it out with a fresh one. I'm sure that preamp sounds perfect as is, but it can't hurt to freshen it up and re-break it in.

I'm excited about our NT-503 exploration. As networked as this little box is, I have a feeling it's going to be a great central point for all digital music. It might just have to go in my livingroom for general use, and the DirectStream be relegated to the Darth Vader Chamber of music. LOL

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 06/14/17 at 16:46:43

Also - I'm going to be posting about the NT-503 more in the digital section of the Decware forums. I'm trying to get more eyes in other areas of the forum, rather than just posting everything in General.   Wink

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 06/14/17 at 16:52:27

Oh yeah, totally cool...move the NT over there/digital forum, where it belongs....and let us know.  I will be reading and learning.....excited too!

Yes, the Musicap's need to go first. I want:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_stealth.html
.....then I'll go from there...... .
....they will take forever to burn in....but, I will put in my downstairs rig with constant signal through it......for a month straight! I only need the three inputs for my downstairs Rig: Blu-ray (Kimber WBT Hero RCA), DVR (Monster M1000Mk III to Decware PAC-S's to Kimber KCAG RCA) and Phono Box (Audioquest Diamond from Pro-Ject Phono Box II/Debut Carbon Table).
......cool part is: while I'm waiting for my ZBIT...I can take my XLR and run out of the LS-2B to my Emotiva XPA-2 beast....I have never ran it Balanced.....for my SRS SDA 1.2's.  MID-FI RIG fun!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 06/14/17 at 18:58:19

One quick question LR, before your NT-503 thread start in the digital forum.

You have balanced ZMA inputs, correct? You will be running the NT balanced out to balanced in ZMA....to get the ball rolling, correct (also do RCA to RCA)? Doing a ZBIT down the road to your SE84C hot rod......and ZMA too (to compare back to straight NT XLR out to ZMA XLR in).

.....and then, I'll be Captain Obvious here (over on your Thread): Discussing how and what you're feeding the NT and up through its native sample rates OR up-conversions...... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 06/14/17 at 19:44:33

Quote:
One quick question LR, before your NT-503 thread start in the digital forum.

You have balanced ZMA inputs, correct? You will be running the NT balanced out to balanced in ZMA....to get the ball rolling, correct (also do RCA to RCA)? Doing a ZBIT down the road to your SE84C hot rod......and ZMA too.

.....and then, I'll be Captain Obvious here (over on your Thread): Discussing how and what you're feeding the NT and up through its native sample rates OR up-conversions...... .

Yeah, I'm currently running the DirectStream Balanced to ZMA or Unbalanced to Zen - I plan to continue to do the same with the NT.

I have the skills to install the balanced transformers into the little Zen so I don't need to have another box and another set of high quality cables, and I'm seriously considering doing that (though I am concerned about provoking Steve's ire hacking into this one-off Zen amp). But building my own ZBIT offers up more options, and I can be artistic about if I want to. I happen to know one forum member who's done just that, and it's truly beautiful work (he's an artist with skills and aesthetic I appreciate).

Personally I prefer balanced to unbalanced - it's more cable agnostic, and I just feel the Zen amps in general seem to like that voltage presented by balanced inputs. That said, I do hope to try some really nice balanced cables like you have. If you ever get a spare pair I could borrow for a week to try out, keep me in mind!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 06/14/17 at 19:45:37

I'm splitting this up into two posts so it doesn't look like a Will level of writing/thought.

--------------------------------------------

As for source/input for the NT - I'm going to have to experiment to see what works best. To start, I'll run it just like I do my DirectStream - which is simply Roon pushing the bits over the network to the DAC. On the DS it's Bridge II (Network input card) is limited to DSD64, and I've tried it via native and upsampled. The jury is still out on which I prefer - I need more time with it. So I'll run the exact same setup for the NT, except it's network card can take up to DSD128, which I believe is limited only by the network and not the DAC or it's network card. It's just a simple limitation of bandwidth/speed of copper networks.

In order to go faster, I'll need to take my Roon "server" (which is nothing more than a Tiny computer about the size of the NT DAC), and connect it directly to the DirectStream or NT-503 via USB. USB can handle speeds of up to Quad DSD (11.2 MHz or DSD 256).  The DirectStream is currently limited to Double DSD (5.6 Mhz or DSD 128) via USB, but the NT's USB port on the back is capable of taking Quad rate DSD.

I can't predict what is going to sound better, so I'll have to experiment. With the latest DirectStream OS update, I have trouble imagining a $1000 DAC is going to come close - but I'm always pulling for the underdog.  :)

I can't predict which is going to sound better, input via network, or input via USB. In theory, network should sound better because the computer sending the data is isolated from the DAC, and can even be up to 100 yards away! Plus the DirectStream has a bit of Digital Lens technology in the Bridge II.  But then, USB has the ability of running higher speeds (Double DSD for the DS and Quad DSD for the NT) - and we have all sorts of USB buffers and isolators and fun stuff to help improve that, and they do work!

I also can't predict if upconverting in software, or upconverting in the DAC is going to sound better. The DS already automatically converts everything internally to Double rate DSD (and does its processing at 20x!! with the latest update), but the NT is more flexible in that I can send up to Quad DSD via USB, or I can simply let it do that conversion automatically internally, or I can shut all that off and let it run completely native.  Add to all that, different software upconverts using different methods (different math, different filters etc). So Roon, vs HQPlayer, vs Bughead, vs whatever vs Internal DAC upconversion could be a large showdown by itself if I really want it to be.

I can see Lon's head exploding at this point and him reminding us how much he likes his memory player and spinning discs. LOL

The truth is I'm curious, but lazy; I'm going to keep this pretty easy - I'm just going to compare DACs, compare inputs, and compare upconversions via Roon or internal. I'm hoping Network input works the best, because that would be far easier than having the tiny computer connected via USB with external power supplies and buffers and filters and isolators and all that mess.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 06/14/17 at 19:52:24

My head's not exploding. I sort of understand this stuff and see why especially someone who was into computers would find this fascinating and want to implement it and learn more and more.

Me I'm NOT into computers (in fact am beginning to think that along with alcohol, and guns they're one of the big three things that has messed up our society and economy) and I have no desire for all the futzing and fiddling I see you all doing constantly. I just want to put in a disc and play, and the DMP is an amazing device for that and works so damned well with the DSD I am fully enjoying it and not wasting (what for me would be a waste as there's no enjoyment) my time with computer audio. With over 20,000 discs or so by now, there's a lot to just enjoying spinning my discs. I have a love at the center of my life to fill my heart, a beautiful surroundings in this wooded neighborhood, and the music and video material along with books fill my mind.

I am glad this intrigues you guys  . . . I don't have the interest or time myself.

I'm also tired of constantly chasing the tail of "better audio" day after day. I like the sound I have, I like making little tweaks, but I also like just listening and watching and listening and watching and listening and watching. There's plenty to learn in that arena, and that's the arena where my interest is. My system gets me right there into the classroom.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 06/14/17 at 19:59:22

I got most of it. Oh boy, big learning curve for me ahead?! Hook or crook, I'm going to hear some 5.6 and/or 11.2 DSD out of her...USB native downloads or file fed USB up-conversions, etc.... .

Look forward to your digital forum thread. I appreciate your skills and thoroughness.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 06/14/17 at 20:07:30

It's way easier than it sounds. And in the end, it all depends on what sounds good to you.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 06/14/17 at 20:13:35

The Eagle has landed!  Okay, real quick because I have a vintage Audio Research Preamplifier in the house....that is begging to be installed!

I understand Lon. I could stay pat with all that I have (minus the NT). However, I just have this bug to explore DSD; further than my ZDSD recordings and not get overwhelmed and take it slowly. If, I fall flat on my face over it.....or can't appreciate it.....then someone gets a great deal on an NT-503.

My LS-2B is calling me!   ....then let the Journey begin with the NT-503 with LR's first post about it in the digital forum.

PS-well put LR....look forward to your posts.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 06/14/17 at 22:29:45

I have only had my ARC LS-2B MkII, playing for a little over an hour .5. I'm a fan of the ARC FET stage topology and love 6922's! I spent 7 weeks and 3 days with my previous ARC Pre/6H30's.....and loved the soundstage....but it was not right for me overall.

I can't remember whom said it...I will check the ZMA ARC thread....I need to try/find an ARC with 6922....and I knew this from my past experience too......so, it took me a year later and the right deal.....BAM!  ......the ARC huge real soundstage.....all here and imaging on that stage with timbre detail to my ZMA.....just beautiful man. Thanks Al, totally in great shape, the remote is like brand new. I like the way it attenuates volume better than my ARC LS-17 SE did!

Heck, it has the original Musicaps and a eletro-harmonix in it...look forward to tube rolling with my NOS tubes!

It has the control over the DM947 Monoliths, I need, to play them at higher levels~maintaining their composer, imaging and timbre correctness on the soundstage! I can highly recommend the Classic 6922 ARC Pre's  with a ZMA...based on my past summer's experience and now with this Pre. Not premature ....with the past experience.

Now, do I want a ARC Amp. NO. Steve's Class A, ZMA and pushing it into  AB1.....with peak power of 114 watts, is musicality off the charts and I won't part with! Plus, my NOS input and inverter tube rolling....way off the charts........ .  nough' said.

PS-running my ZDSD into Pre and my ZMA wide open.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 06/15/17 at 02:59:48

Okay, just wrapped up a 5 hour session. She certainly did come seasoned in. Newer 6922 in her though.

Tube rolling next, then I look forward to ZBITing this Pre.

Then, when I can swing it.... I need to know how good it could get with Jupiter Caps or StealthCaps. All in good time.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 06/15/17 at 05:47:37

I spent a few hours with my NT tonight. I'm formulating what I want to write in the digital forum. I think I'm going to start with a simple DS vs NT. I can do a larger how to use the NT thread after I get more time with it.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 06/15/17 at 07:41:15

Lon wrote on 06/14/17 at 19:52:24:
Me I'm NOT into computers (in fact am beginning to think that along with alcohol, and guns they're one of the big three things that has messed up our society and economy)

LOL Lon, those are like 3 of my favorite hobbies Grin ... computer gaming/music/video (and even building them), firearms (I've had to use them throughout my entire military career and still enjoy shooting them today) and craft beer (though craft beer and music goes great together ... I never mix the latter 2 Wink)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 06/15/17 at 07:59:47

Well, that's fine. I was not kidding. I think since the internet has been set up it has helped ruin the world with corporations having international control and wiping out smaller business and the welfare of workers among other ways such as the harm that social and other media can effect, foreign interference, et al; I have seen alcohol ruin many lives in my time and some very close to me; and I think the proliferation of various types of guns in the US is a bigger threat than terrorism. None of these used responsibly is a problem, but they are so often used irresponsibly. I'm of an age where I start to think beyond the boxes of my previous years and this is where my thoughts lead me. I'm aware that many don't share these beliefs; I'm used to that, all my life, in part because of my upbringing as the son of an amazing man and having lived in three countries and five states, I realize I've had a different perspective than many.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 06/15/17 at 15:07:51

"ruin the world with corporations having international control and wiping out smaller business and the welfare of workers......"

Lon, taking this to further context.....they are and will be going after our Social Security. It is not and should not be, called an entitlement. FICA paid in year after year...I could have done better investing it myself.  SO, MY MONEY paid in and earned....better be there....at 62 @ 75% of extraction.

We're watching you Koch brother's.......... .
I wish this was fake news:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-koch-brothers-want-to-rewrite-the-con...

Furthermore, back to part of your original context Lon......the Classic book 1984....is flying off the Shelves as I write......Wow.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 06/15/17 at 15:32:04

I'm with you Larry. I'm about to file for my SS, 62 in a few months, would wait another four years if I trusted Republicans, I don't.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 06/15/17 at 15:40:55

Exactly. File without hesitation.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #35 - 06/16/17 at 02:51:06

I can tell you what I can see as one thing that has ruined society is the constant political comments on sites like this that have nothing at all to do with politics. Go someplace else!!!

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
JAG
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 06/16/17 at 12:07:27

+1

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 06/16/17 at 15:47:37

Yes, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

It was not a dream....got another good session in with my ARC Line Stage to ZMA.

.....the ARC huge real soundstage.....all here and imaging on that stage with timbre detail to my ZMA/that of course, preserves all this.....+weight/density and da' BASS......LS-2B MkII w/remote!

Classic 6922 .....FET city....that stands the test of time!  I need to get my Ediswan 6922 in it next week.... .

Over & Out....busy weekend.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 06/18/17 at 16:30:31

Nice Pre with the ZMA....it is (ARC LS-2B MkII). I have yet to tube roll the single 6922. But, I will tell ya......their is a certain magic in running my ZMA direct from ZDSD. You would think that not enough gain is aloud in from the ZMA.....not being full open (as it is, when using the ARC or my CSP3~I owned~great Preamp too). Think again. The ZDSD output serves my ZMA so well.

Nice to have variations of flavor's I will call it.....with and without this Pre in the chain. She is staying for rotation. My Listening Room System is configured on the floor. It's an easy switch according to my mood.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #39 - 06/27/17 at 03:40:06

Someone buy the Line Magnetic 518 IA on AgoN please!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-line-magnetic-518-ia-2017-06-25-integrate...

I'm not ready to sell my ARC Line Stage or DM's to cover most of it.

I have an itchy mouse finger and I'm prepared to use it!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 06/27/17 at 15:41:48

Wow, that's kind of a sexy amp with some nice toobies in it!

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/27/17 at 23:48:11

I think their stuff is really cool looking.  They are a very respectable brand ~ they're actually a Chinese company that makes their stuff there, rather than a US or UK based company who makes their stuff in China where it's all about the bottom line.

845 tubes run a bit hot ... did you ever see Stereophile/Art Dudley's remarks in the comment section?  He said he had a tan after testing it Grin.  

I wonder how these compare to the 6C33C as far as heat output?  We're pretty toasty here in San Diego already, I almost turned the air on last night, but I know once it goes on we won't want to turn it off until October Cry so I'm holding out.  I guess we can't complain compared to Vegas (where my mom lives it's 110 degrees), but adding a big tube like that in my living room would make me think I was in Vegas Cheesy

By the way, Steve Hoffman (over on his own forums) said he thinks the tube isn't all that great considering it's size and heat output he said it was a little thin sounding and preferred the 211 to the 845.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #42 - 06/28/17 at 16:42:34

Yes, I have been following Line M for a couple years now an all the reviews. I will wait for Steve's 6C33C Mono's. Beo, here in MN, it only gets hot for two days in July and two in August.....so, no overheating my Room!  ;D   .....man, that heat wave in the Southwest!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #43 - 06/28/17 at 22:11:56

Yep. I was in Scottsdale, AZ last week and it got to 117 on two of the days.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #44 - 06/29/17 at 19:33:23

Definition of insanity:
"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

This quote is generally attributed to Einstein in most online quote collections, however there seems to be significant debate about the authenticity of this attribution. Others like Mark Twain, an old Chinese proverb and Benjamin Franklin have also been suggested as the originators, but general consensus concludes that they have a significantly lesser claim than Einstein.

Did anyone watch the NATGEO Series about Mr. Einstein? I found it riveting..... .

Yes, I keep trying for different results. I need to face the fact that the Zen Mystery Amplifier, driven direct from my ZDSD.....is the most involving, timbre/tone correct, dynamic and treble extended (like live).......and weight..... ............no Line Stage is needed. Invest in NOS Platinum Tubes only (for your Decware Amp(s))!

Now, in my defense.....each Pre or Line Stage if you will.....is a variation......but still.....I'm done with this Insanity!  :D
....my Third Eye Pulsed...it has been quite some time....I got the message.......... .

All part of the Journey........I have been through a few Pre's, to say the least.  

Hey, all have a great 4th.....I think we're in for one heck of a 2nd half of 2017.  

PS-I am keeping it (ARC LS-2B Mkll Line Stage w/Remote) to run in my other Rig. It might do quite well and be a nice upgrade to my Rotel mid-fi Preamp....... . The journey....man.... The journey for my other Rig too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #45 - 07/17/17 at 14:43:26

ARC LS-2B Mkll Line Stage w/Remote.....is staying in the Listening Room. Albeit hooked in and then out about 60% of the time. I love the ZMA direct mostly.

I'm not insane. Tube rolling with my 6922 collection has proved fruitful in this classic ARC class A run Pre!

The Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic).....one pair as inputs in my ZMA and one in the LS2B....is beautiful. This particular Mullard for my ear brain whether running the Line Stage or my ZMA direct....is my Tube.

Highly recommended, if you can find an LS-2B MkII in mint trusted condition as I did.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 07/19/17 at 20:50:20

Okay, two days later after my last post on the subject.

I'm listening to disc's and noticing omissions of music (quite a few disc's)....with my ARC Line Stage. So, I grab one of my guilty pleasures: DITO, Life for Rent....and listen to her, in entirety with my ARC Pre in the Chain..........not so involving/but nice on Landscape let's say/finish the disc.........I take the Pre out of the Chain.........let everything warm back up.............TOTAL Involvement...takes place........ZDSD direct to ZMA...........DITO "is" the Room......telling me how it is...................the ARC can't do this in the Chain.

I needed to exhaust myself through many stand alone Pre's  and DAC Pre's.............to conclude................. . I now know. I really new all along....but I had to endure the pain financially and physically, to finally conclude....for me.....the ZDSD to ZMA only/emotional connection, is it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #47 - 07/19/17 at 22:23:11

Yeah, I get that too. While the added density and dynamics of a great preamp are nice, being a click closer without one in the chain does seem more engaging to me as well. I really enjoy my DirectStream to ZMA, or hell, any good source direct to ZMA.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #48 - 07/20/17 at 01:30:45

Exactly, right? That density and a little more dynamics with it -or- a click closer and more engaging without ....I will continue to go in and out with it to suit me.....it is a great Line Stage.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #49 - 07/20/17 at 15:52:30

Quote:
Exactly, right? That density and a little more dynamics with it -or- a click closer and more engaging without ....I will continue to go in and out with it to suit me.....it is a great Line Stage.

I had a late night listening session with Steve and his Friend/Tech Dave; I think we were listening to the prototype ZTPRE and playing with the first Magic Box (ZBIT). Steve was adamant about having the preamp in the loop, but Dave and I both stuck to our guns on having that extra few percent of transparency. And seriously, with the ZTPRE, it was so transparent that you had to really listen to hear that one click step back.

The last time I brought up the ZTPRE Steve just grunted at me that I wouldn't want it. LOL I guess he knows me well enough by now.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print