04/25/24 at 00:20:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preamp??? (Read 15576 times)
Last Lemming
Verified Member

Preamp???
06/10/17 at 04:27:16

Can the Rachael be used in conjunction with a preamp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Preamp???
Reply #1 - 06/10/17 at 05:06:45

Certainly. Make it a great one though.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Last Lemming
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/17 at 20:37:04

It's a balanced audio technology VK-3ix...?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/10/17 at 21:28:37

I don't know anything about it, but I bet it works fine. You'll love the sound of the Rachel!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 06/10/17 at 22:49:45

LL- you most certainly can use a Rachael with or without a pre-amp. As of now I am not using a pre, but will add a Decware CSP3 when I do. The BAT is supposed to be a good product, but if something sounds off I don't think it will be the Decware amp. Keep us posted on how it sounds and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
John C
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/17 at 22:29:49

I use a Tube Nirvana Aretha with mine. I wanted more bass since I listen at lower volumes, and the ZROCK wasn't available.

It is 6SL7 based and sounds great!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 07/21/18 at 02:57:43

I just saw this thread, and figured it wouldn't hurt to chime in. I think that I waited too long to try Rachael out with a separate pre-amp. It's not a perfect match just yet, but I am dialing it in. What I mean is that the pre-amp volume must not drive Rachael too hard from the input, and Rachael is a bit better just about 3/4 volume. Recording levels however, do vary, and so there is a bit of play for some. Sonically, it is astounding to me how much more I like the combination rather than just running out of most CD players.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 07/22/18 at 16:20:16

I bought a CSP3 off the forum here, send it back to the Zen Master to transfer the warranty and change out the base from black to a walnut to match our Rachael & ZP3. I really liked the Rachael & ZP3 combo but now will never part with the addition of the preamp. Better in every respect. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/09/18 at 12:42:08

Dear Forum members,
While we're on the subject of using a preamp with the Rachael, has anyone used one of Schiit Audio's preamps with the Rachael, particularly the Schiit Saga?
Thanks
Sime

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 09/09/18 at 15:23:08

Since I have not found specs for the Rachael concerning input sensitivity, and input impedance, then what you are left with is to try it and see.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/09/18 at 20:53:39

I think I’ll wait to see if someone in the Forum has used the Saga with the Rachael.

IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 09/21/18 at 20:25:49

I've used the Schiit Saga with the Rachael. I initially got the Saga primarily to add remote control of volume. I ended up returning it during the 15-day trial period to upgrade to the Freya. Saga has unity gain with a tube buffer stage; Freya has 14db of gain via its tube gain stage and a 128-step volume attenuator vs. the 64-step version in the Saga. The ability to ride the gain to better tailor the sound—which Steve recommended when I e-mailed him regarding the pros/cons of adding a preamp—was what motivated the upgrade. I was otherwise not unhappy with the Saga.

Roon Nucleus>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya+>SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub (main system); Schiit Bifrost 2>Schiit Freya>Torii Mk4>DM945 (second system)
  IP Logged
Sime
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/14/18 at 19:29:18

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you but thank you for your information. If I understand you correctly it was the greater flexibility that you achieved with the Freya amp over the Sauga that prompted you to upgrade. Correct?

IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/27/18 at 03:56:10

Equally sorry for the delay in responding--haven't checked this thread in a while. My main preference for the Freya over the Saga was the gain stage. It provides a denser/fuller sound with my speakers (Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S's) in my main listening room (~600 sq. ft., open concept) than the Saga did. YMMV depending on your speakers, system, and room. I would certainly consider the Saga in the future if I needed a pre for a near-field setup in a smaller room.

Roon Nucleus>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya+>SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub (main system); Schiit Bifrost 2>Schiit Freya>Torii Mk4>DM945 (second system)
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 11/27/18 at 04:39:39

I would like to chime in here, if I may, about Rachael and pre-amp combo. As long as the pre-amp is the quality needed, the benefits in sound outweigh any downside to the combination. I have tried tube buffers with Rachael, and yes, I like the combo, but it is with some added gain that I find the best experience. In fact, I am looking at purchasing a pre-amp from Tubeman, like right now. Don't know why I waited this long.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #15 - 01/06/19 at 20:37:05

I did get the tube pre-amp from tubeman, and in many ways, I like the combination. I have also tried other little tube pre-amps, and there is a marked difference from one to the other. Whether it is voicing, gain, or distortion, it is all easily heard through the Rachael. So then it becomes a matter of preference.
NOTE: I have recently sold my Rachael, and yes, I do miss her dearly. Progress in experimentation cannot happen for me without new funding. This was the way to provide it quickly, as the unit sold in a few hours. The new experiment will be using a tube based Pre-amp with a SS unit, currently in the process of being rebuilt/redesigned by a knowledgeable engineer. As time goes on, it is a possibility that I will go ahead and build the SS amp kit offered here, just to some music. Later, a new horse race begins...!

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 12/22/21 at 03:20:14

I’d like an update on this subject.  I’m currently using a Brinkmann Nyquist II DAC connected to my Rachel.  I’m giving serious consideration to adding either the PS Audio BHK preamp or the Brinkmann Marconi (huge difference in price).  Curious if anyone out there has tried either.  I’m open to other recommendations if they are between $8K and $12K.  Thanks,  Larry

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/22/21 at 13:31:01

I wasn't too impressed with the PS Audio BHK preamp, for the price there are a lot of outstanding offerings. I preferred my CSP3 with 25th mods over it in all areas. Down side is the CSP3 doesn't have remote volume control if that is something you want, the ZTPRE does have remote volume control and might be worth considering.

If you want something a little different an autoformer might be interesting to you. It's a passive device. You can get a true passive, or like I have, an EMIA Remote Autoformer and love it! It offers expansive soundstage, rich harmonics and shocking speed. I'll stop myself before I start gushing over it.

My brother sold his PS Audio BHK for an EMIA Remote autoformer with silver transformers. He does bring up trying the ZTPRE from time to time.

I don't have any experience with Brinkmann products.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 12/23/21 at 13:51:50

I run a ZSTAGE with my Torii MKIV and I love the purist design as a single triode gain stage.  The added weight and density it gives is a sound I can’t live without.  One day I am certain I will jump into a CSP325 or a ZTPRE, but for now I love the synergy, which is the takeaway.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #19 - 01/12/22 at 16:22:16

I am considering purchasing a Rachel (maybe 2) and pairing with a Mcintosh C22 V3 (relatively new model) preamp.  Will be driving various sets of Klipsch (Khorns, La Scalas, etc.)  Would the Mac be a good match, and if not, why not?  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 01/12/22 at 17:11:25

I really really like my Rachael.  I’ve rolled tubes and improved the detail and midrange.  Dollar for dollar, I don’t think you can beat the Decware products.  As for a preamplifier, it all depends on your source device.  I have a Brinkmann Nyquist that is very good at giving streamed music a high quality with warmth.  You may prefer a more accurate sounding source.  In either case, you need to match the preamp with the source as to tone, staging, etc.  As far as the amp, it seems comparable with all but the highest gain preamps (something over 20v).  Check with Steve but I think he told me anything up to 30v would be ok.  I’m leaning toward the matching Brinkmann Marconi or the Backert Labs preamp-both way too expensive.

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 04/21/22 at 04:14:06

Just a short update:  I acquired aVTL 6.5 series ll preamp.  The overall improvement to the soundstage, depth and spaciousness was nothing short of amazing.  The Rachel is at the top of its game with the Brinkmann Nyquist and VTL.  Now I know some of you will say it should given the high prices of the VTL and Brinkmann.  But the Rachel with rolled tubes and these high quality input devices is just off the charts

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print