Send Topic Print
ZMC hum (Read 5981 times)
gfxmla
Verified Member

I luv Rekkids

ZMC hum
06/08/17 at 22:17:50

Hi forum,
I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) ZMC2. I'm using a Hana HL cartridge, which is a relatively high output cart at 2 mV. I noticed an excessive amount of 60 Hz hum so I moved the ZMC as far away from my ZP3 as the interconnects will allow. Hum is tamed somewhat but not completely.

I know the ZP3 should be able to take 2 mV without a SUT, but I also have a 0.3 mV low output cart to play with, hence the ZMC2.

I have a set of 4 foot long interconnects on order from Blue Jean cable for their extra shielding, but in the meantime, does anybody have any pointers to get this thing tamed all the way down? Is it really just wacky placement and IC shielding?

Also, I read that the the Decware DSG ics are shielded, but they seem to pull more rfi then these Audioquest Diamondbacks I had laying around. So what gives?  :-/

Thanks-Geoff.

VPI Prime Signature Rosewood > Sumiko Starling MC/Hana ML > CineMag 1254 > ZP3 > CSP2+ > ZStage > Eico HF-22 Monoblocks/Triode Lab 45M > Klipsch Cornwall/Omega 3RS::::ICs are ZU Audio Wylde
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZMC hum
Reply #1 - 06/09/17 at 01:27:52

If you haven't already, you might try all combinations of grounding between the TT, ZP3 and ZMC2.  I ended up grounding just my TT to my ZP3 (I have a ZMC1 and it doesn't add any noise).  Other combinations weren't particularly bad but this was best.  I haven't found much, if any, difference in noise by using shielded interconnects but I use the Decware DSGs anyway.  This may be related or not but I don't have wireless running on my computer router (just a cable) and I don't seem to have much RF interference in my house.  Whenever I drive by a bank and loose my FM radio signal, I'm reminded how destructive/disruptive those signals can be.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
gfxmla
Verified Member

I luv Rekkids

Reply #2 - 06/09/17 at 15:04:28

Hey Archie,
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've tried various configurations of grounding with the ZMC. I hooked up a jury-rigged grounding scheme from my TT, from my ZP3 and also without any grounding at all and there was no discernible change in the hum.

Let me back track one of my statements. It's not actually RF interference, but rather EM interference from the other elements in my system. One thing I did discover is that if I twist my input cables down away from the transformer of the ZP3 the hum reduces, but does not disappear entirely. Seems the only time it is completely silent is when the ZMC is a few feet away from the rest of the rig. Anybody else experience this?

VPI Prime Signature Rosewood > Sumiko Starling MC/Hana ML > CineMag 1254 > ZP3 > CSP2+ > ZStage > Eico HF-22 Monoblocks/Triode Lab 45M > Klipsch Cornwall/Omega 3RS::::ICs are ZU Audio Wylde
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/09/17 at 22:18:58

Geoff,

My ZMC1 is a couple feet from my ZP3 and over an inch and a half of wood is between them.  I don't remember if I ever had them closer together.  I've never had luck reducing any noise by moving components around but I think others have.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/09/17 at 22:32:22

The Analogue Productions SACD

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/10/17 at 21:47:16

You cant help but try all the earthing and positioning combos, and even tube rolling the ZP3. A sweet spot should occur at some point. Yes even moving the i/c`s by twisting them in the sockets makes a difference. I`m still using unshielded DSR`s throughout and they pass close to tranformers in places. It`s wierd, they should be humming but they`re not. My tonearm cable is at full stretch before it reaches the ZMC1, around 4 ft. 1/2 mt to the ZP3 and a metre to the CSP2+.  
One glorious balancing act....it seems tailor made.   :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
gfxmla
Verified Member

I luv Rekkids

Reply #6 - 06/10/17 at 23:22:12

Indeed it does...lol.

So, I got my Blue Jeans cable ICs today and slapped them in. With a quick audition and the ZMC RIGHT NEXT to the ZPF's transformer the hum seems to be gone.

I'm going to play around with positioning and swapping out different ICs to see if it returns, simply for the sake of getting to the BOTTOM of the thing. But at least now, I can say I do have non-intrusive hum in my system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print